Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the best sounding.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Nov 4, 2011.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

Horn that is.I am getting close to completeing the wiring and trying to decide which horn is best for my custom.I think it should be loud,but what year and make sound the best.I was thinking old(50's) Cad.what do you say?:cool:

2. I think old Cads had triple horns but wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong

3. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

How about a dixie horn like the general lee! Just kidding, you would be classified as a redneck then.

4. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

If all else fails an, ooga horn....

5. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

I use 70's fire siren for a horn. 12 volts gives it enough juice to sound just right.Hehe!LB

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

6 volt = Buick
    12 volt = Riviera train horn

hmmm, seems like I like the masculine sound of a Buick horn! Maybe because I was driving my new 41 today and blasting the horn for anybody that looked my way.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

Larger Buicks or Cadillacs up to about the eighties had decent sounding horns...

8. Old&Low

Old&Low

One of my all time favorites for an unusual horn is the 'Bull Horn;' very distinctive sound, looks like a '35 Ford horn on steroids. (Of course I used to run an 'Ahooga' horn on one of my Vettes because no one expected that sound to come from a Vette!)

9. 6v horn from an older upscale car (Caddy, Lincoln, Buick, etc.) and wire it for 12v.

You'll get a traditional sound and enough dB's to wake the dead. :)

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A 40s Mopar horn on 12Vs will wake the dead. I have a cable operated bull horn that changes the tone as you pull the cable but I never put it on anything. I'm not much of a horn blower.:D

11. papajohn

papajohn

Early sixties GM. I always loved the sound of my 1960 Olds horns deep and mellow.

12. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

My dad had a 60 pontiac that had a cool horn. It was pretty loud also.

13. Weasel

Weasel

Jags, Bentleys and Rolls of the 1950s and 1960s had deep, sonorous, imperious 'get out of my way' - in a classy sort of way - horns....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  14. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I liked the two tones on my 63 galaxie, so i put another set on (dual-duals) it sounded awesome til the day a guy cut me off, i hammered the horn and only the high notes sounded...

I smiled and waived...

15. banditomerc

banditomerc

Now this "sounds" like what i'll look into....Anyone have a Bently,Jag,Rolls horn they want to part with?:cool:

16. mrforddude

mrforddude

When I was a kid my Dad wired up a pair of '53 Chevy 6 volt horns on one our cousins pickups with a starter solenoid hooked directly to the battery so that it got full power when the solenoid kicked in from the horn relay...loud was an understatement...

17. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'm using a Roadrunner Beep Beep horn....

hey, I think it's cool....

18. 92-96 Buick Roadmasters and Cadillac Fleetwoods have some pretty high quality horns in them. They sound like a mid 60s luxo barge. Probably one of the smaller packages to mount, and fairly easy to find. Caprices, even though they are the same frame/drivetrains, got cheaper horns. They don't sound nearly as good.