Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attention Denver area HAMBer's...I'm moving out to your area and need advise.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andyg, Oct 21, 2011.

1. andyg

andyg

Hey Denver area HAMBers. I'm moving out your way sometime soon and need a little help finding a good place to stay. Send me a message or call me if you know of anyone renting a room or a house (would be great if it had a shop). $1500 or less preferablely 400-600 for a room with garage space and a hotrod roommate!

I would like to bring out the roadster and the 1940 Ford but I don't know what areas are safe and low crime. Please give me some advise on that.

I already have a pretty decent job just a few blocks north of downtown but I think I would rather live a little ways out unless I found something that just seemed to fit down in the city.

NO Drugs and NON smoker....on call and would have to get up and leave to go to work at all hours of the day and night so keep that in mind.

I wish I could just drive the roadster out, but it's a little drafty in the winter and I sure don't want to drive it on the salted roads!

Thanks for the help in advance. Andy G. 417-766-3502

2. andyg

andyg

Back to the top! Looking for advice on good areas to live. Speak up Denver hambers!!!

3. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

I can't really speak intelligently about where to go or to stay away from as these areas have changd since in lived closer to Denver proper. I can tell you that we do not use salt products on the roads in CO.

4. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

No salt but Mag Chloride which can mess up any ride. Anyway, I see you are a R.R. conductor, will you be working out of Union station or the rail yards? You may find it easier to live & get to work from the west side of Denver & surrounding towns.
    I dont know of available places but the economy has a lot of empty houses on the market right now. Good luck with the move.

5. Yep, I'm thinking the west side like Lakewood or Wheatridge.

6. andyg

andyg

I'll be going to work at the railyard. BNSF at Globeville Rd, off of Fox, off of I25 just south of I70. I lived in Idaho Springs last winter when I worked out there but I never got a feel for the "hotrod friendly" areas. I just want to keep the kids in great schools and keep the family safe....."family" includes the hotrods too!

I am even considering Evergreen, Brighton, Castle Rock, Longmont, etc!

Keep coming with ideas. I very much appreciate the help!

7. andyg

andyg

What would Mag Chloride do to the old ride?

8. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

don't know anything about the area, but Lakewood has to have some
    gear heads.......wouldn't it ????

9. 4950ford

4950ford
    from cushing,ok

Hey AndyG, I'm not from Denver but my family and I have relation in Parker, it's a suburb of Denver on the East side, we go out there twice a yr and it seems to be a nice safe place to live. Our family loves it there and they have two small children.
    Food for thought.

10. andyg

andyg

Thanks. If your family knows of anything for rent, please pm me.

Keep the info coming!:eek:

11. rom828

rom828

Years ago when it snowed here the plows would go out and scrape what they could and lay down sand in intersections. For the most part we got around fine in our old rear wheel drive cars and trucks and people came here to buy old rust-free cars. Now they try to get the roads completely clear and start spraying Mag Chloride before it snows. It's not as bad as salt but still nasty stuff. It sticks to everything and attacks frames and body seams immediately and is hell on aluminum wheels. I still drive my older stuff in the winter but in the snow and ice it's my slowly decomposing Jeep XJ.

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Mag chloride won't do anything to an old car, except make it so you have to wash it quite often...but then again, you won't be driving the roadster or the '40 in the winter around here.

Globeville is not a nice place to live...you can move into the Highlands area west of Federal and just south of I-70...it's an older neighborhood but a lot of it is being renovated now...or you can move farther west, into the Lakewood area -south of Colfax and west of Sheridan there are nice areas...there are some nice houses around Lakewood Country Club and the area around there...but if you'll shoot me a PM, I'll turn you on to a realtor friend that's a car guy (he has a blown '37 Dodge coop and a Porsche Speedster replica and lives in the Highlands area).

PS,there's plenty to rent around here...all over Denver and suburbs...!!!
    R-

13. tomslik

tomslik

X2 and don't forget wiring....mag cloride and wiring are NOT a good mix...
    aluminum and MC ain't great either...
    but what do I know, i just have to fix the stuff it fucks up...

14. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Like Roger Jetter said you should get in touch with his realistate buddy that is a car guy. I live in Thornton (north of Denver)plenty of available houses for rent.Good luck finding one with more than a 2 car garage.I drive a custom 70 Elcamino year round here. Some times we get huge snow storms making it tricky but overall our weather is pretty good for driving. if you are going to be here Thanksgiving weekend our big indoor show will be at the Denver convention center.Gives you a chance to meet car guys.

15. andyg

andyg

16. andyg

andyg

It's looking like I might be moving out Nov 13th or so. If anyone knows of a trustworth roommate, let me know. I would like to have something semi-lined up before I get out there. I know with a house share situation it's kind of a "who gets along with who" kinda deal.

Let me know guys and girls! I'm getting excited about the living out there! I've seem great deals on houses and cool hotrods....that's all I need right now in life! I just need to get settled into a safe area!

Thanks,

17. Salted roads? Riht now you would almost need a snow cat to drive up there. :)

I have always prefered Golden to Denver BTW.

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

This morn in my back yard...10 inches and still coming down...

R-
    [​IMG]

Oh, 'spose I'd better say the front yard got the same amount...LOL...!!!

You sure you want to move out here...???

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  19. luciomduran

luciomduran

Lakewood or golden are safe bets. I don't know of anyone that is looking for a roommate but there are a fair share of houses for rent and such. It is snowing like a mother right now as you saw from 40StudeDude's picture. Welcome to Colorado my friend.

20. andyg

andyg

ya thanks....that's nice hardy CO welcome. on second thought I may just wait until spring! Still looking for a roommate situation. it would have to be the right situation. surely some of you know someone that you could recommend. let me know if you know someone.

it's looking like some things at work here in AR might keep me here until after Thanksgiving......and if it gets too close to Christmas....well it might just be spring....except I don't want to miss out on all the snow!

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awww don't worry about missing a little snow...we usually have Spring snows way up until the mid to end of May (in Denver) and the last snow the mountains got this year was late May...and Steamboat got over 500 inches...

R-

22. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

if ya can get a hold of Craig Peters at U.P/ denver he might be able to help ya out with info,he lives in Fort Lupton just north on HWY 85.
    if nothing else i'll ask my brother-n-law,he's in Commerce City/which no-one wants to live there,but he might know of some stuff in D-ville.
    & we're a smog state so ya will have to get it smog tested..that why my stuff is licensed in another state.

23. andyg

andyg

Isn't the early iron exempt from the sniff test. What's the cut off year? I'll be driving the 79 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 in bad weather and the 32 in good weather. Would the 79 need a sniff test?

Is all the snow melted off yet?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

If a car gets sold, or transferred into this state, it has to undergo one smog test before plates are issued...Yes a '79 would be tested.

There are "collector" plates that you can buy that require no smog test (after the initial) for five years...but if you buy regular plates, you will be required every year...there is a 25 year cut off for Collector plates.

Street Rod plates are also available...but the cut off there is '48 and earlier...

R-

25. Hi Andy,
    I think you and your family will LOVE Colorado!
    I lived in denver for 62-years and then I retired and moved 70-miles up into the mountains to live...(and ski -- I LOVE snow!) Get 40-Stude to post a picture of his back yard 2-days later and you will be amazed how fast the snow disappears!
    Check on line real estate listings to get a taste of what is available.
    As with a LOT of big cities, the further out you go from the downtown, industrial core, the safer it gets, IMHO. As long as you don't have to commute 7-8 am or 5-6 pm the commutes won't be too bad. They can be a bitch in rush hours however.

26. drag_punk

drag_punk

Bandimere, great dragstrip in Morrison. I would live close to there if I had to move south.

27. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

We also have Horseless Carriage plates which allows you to run YOM plates, I have them on my '32.

Attached Files:

28. andyg

andyg

Hey that reminds me.....I have a set of colorado 1932 plates....but after looking at them...get this, it's like they are stamped inside out. It's kinda funny looking. The outside of the plate that usually has a ridge standing out on it, has a valley around the plate! I'll get a pic on here when I get a chance.

Looks like work here has me here in Arkansas until Dec, so it'll be after Christmas and maybe even spring time. I still haven't found an "it feels right" housing situation but that wouldn't stop me from moving when I get everything in order here in Arkansas. Thanks everyone.

What kinda rides are you guys and girls have? Lets see 'em!!!

29. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Yes, would like to see pics of those plates!

30. andyg

andyg

I'm in Memphis today. When I get back home I'll post a pic tomorrow or Tuesday.