Register now to get rid of these ads!

First build... am I nuts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Patdoody, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Patdoody

Patdoody

I was thinking of just fabbing up my own spring mounts, but like the look of the original equipment stuff. P&J and speedway are another option I just cant see spending 100.00 on that little bit of metal. If my original rear axle will fetch 100.00 I will be happy lol. I will probably reuse the rear radius rods for my car tho..

As far as the steering column I am hoping I wont have to dig into it to much I am hoping to just clean it up and run it. I should be able to drill some rivets out and clean it all up. Okay you sold me I will pull the trigger on the column/box.

I am going for more function over popularity with this build. I am probably very similar to a teenager building a car in the 50's on a tight budget and want to make good use of what comes my way. Good to hear all my brake bits are useable. Now I just need to find a nice set of round back spindles to make it all come together. and don't worry I will be sure to update with more photos and questions as the build progresses.

I am only about 20mins from you in washington twp. yeah its hard to kick that vw habit, although after spending all day pulling a transmission out of my parts car and reinstalling it in my buddies Jetta I remember why I am building a hotrod. Are you into the water cooled's at all or air cooled? Yeah all my friends think I am nuts when ever I drag home a new project. Everyone is 2x as worse as the last.

haha dont worry about that! I work with metal for a living so I am def up to date on those! :)

2. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

SO do I....But it is always nice not to get lockjaw....If I coul donly figure out a way to give it to my ex...haha

3. JThw8

JThw8

Yeah, Washington Twp is right down the road :) Mostly an aircooled guy but I've done water too. In addition to my own sickeness Im working on a VW Thing for the wife and my OT project car has a bit of VW DNA in it. Its kinda on the back burner, its a driver(ish) now so I'll play with it as is and get back to cosmetics once I get a bit futher on the rod (1929 Nash)

I had a few buddies assist in the OT car and although they still think Im nuts they now understand the joy of fabricating and how nothing is impossible, you just need more beer and welding wire. Our next group project is stuffing a 5.0 in and MG for track use and one of them commented how that seemed so simple after everything I had to do with the last car.

4. Patdoody

Patdoody

That mg will be fun. My dad has built a full frame off restored triumph tr6 and that thing is fun enough with the straight 6 and triple strombergs.

5. 29ToyA

29ToyA

A lot of good work there.
    I like the home made equipment too!

6. encswsm

encswsm

Awesome build keep up the good work...

7. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I have seen worse in Richard d's garage! Haha build that thing!!!

Good luck
    Sam

8. spike38

spike38

Great build!!

Subscribed:)

Spike:D

9. Zornig

Zornig
    from NJ

Looks good Pat and i didnt know there where so many crazy VW guys that are into hot rods also. Its a sickness for sure. Im still working on my 29 sedan and progressing, just havent updated the post.

10. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

You're not crazy....this is what I started with. You will appreciate it more when it's done because you EARNED it. Looking good, keep after it.

Attached Files:

11. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

first panel looks good!
    good luck with the topsy turvy A!