Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects One of a kind 1933 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Mc, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Great job with a super-rare car--first example of this body style I've ever seen, would love to see it in person. The subtle changes you made, adding the trunk and the improvements to the top design, are so well done that they look factory original.

2. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Great job!! Would look killer with spoke wheels and black bias plys...just my opinion...

3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Next one ? well in 1992 I bought this 33 3 window body w/34 Doors ,it had been upside down in a creekbed,so some Backwoods guy tried to put another roof on it.but stopped halfway.then I bought it,started dreaming about what to do with it :confused: since Ford discontinued the Sport Coupe in 1932 this one seems a likely candidate for a new look 33 so in 93 I altered a Street Rodder Magazine picture to have a look at what a 33 Sport Coupe might look like,here are pic's of my Coupe and the faded Magazine I transformed into my idea.you can see I don''t rush into things.it is still sitting in my barn and I'm still dreamin

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.

4. great plan.. how about making the center of the roof/rear window slip into the deck like a roll top desk ... tambour door ..v/w roof . leaving the doors and rear qrtr of the roof alone .?

have i seen acar with this roof ??

with a had crank ya slip inta hole in the qrtr to roll down or in the windshield header to roll up in place ????

5. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Glad to see you didnt rush in...33 3-window! How about a traditional style hot rod....just saying.. lol

6. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Sport coupe idea would work, plenty of roundy round 34's out there with the rear window cut out....wouldn't cut up that 3-window... $0.02....then again its in YOUR barn...not mine. haha

7. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I gotta do something with it while I still got the Ideas,or you might see it listed in the Classified section one day :eek:

8. F&J

F&J

I sense you have the custom bodybuilding disease..

Imagine going back to the early 30s to work as a designer/mockup person for a custom body builder...doing one-offs.

9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I would Like very much to have had the opportunity,I was born too late I guess.as with my Fordor Vicky Convertible Sedan,very few people alive today realize it is not a production body style that was available in 1933

10. Really nice job , good to someone using parts at hand rather than picking up a catalogue.

11. WOW!!!

Amazing work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0180.jpg JelliPups5179 016.jpg Thanks,it's a fun car to drive,almost like having 2 cars with the top up, and top down.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Gasser 57 and mgtstumpy like this.
  13. Dave as i said on the other site thats amazing......i have wanted to do this on my 37......did you chop the top also? my doors are so square that if i didnt have any roof to contend with i bet i could chop it in a weekend. thks bob

14. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0200.jpg Not Chopped,as the roof is already Low enough on the 33,I have a 48 Coupe with a Chopped top,Adult Backseat passengers get a stiff neck on a long drive.and if I am first inline at a Traffic Light,I have my chin on the dash to see when the light changes.a Chop might work for you ,I would be careful not to take too much from the height for reasons mentioned

15. i spent some time tonight looking at the 37 and i agree with your thoughts on the chop.....i have a channel above the doors that i think can stay in place....i have a humpback and it already has the slight angle you had to make on the back end. i think i can even leave the rear quarter windows in place. i have a rear deck lid area behind the rear seat already. i have a vette with the t Tops so i am familar and comfortable with a rigid t top type style. i cant decide if it should have two t tops supports going from side to side basically at each door hinge. i can decide if it should be a top that has fixed frame that extends or more of a boat style one with removable bows. does yours have a bow that is in between the back door brace and the top of the trunk area? lots to think about. yours is awsome, thks for the inspiration, bob

16. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

our pic`s 054.jpg QUOTE[37Ford4Dr]
    does yours have a bow that is in between the back door brace and the top of the trunk area? lots to think about. yours is awsome, thks for the inspiration, bob[/QUOTE

in this pic you can see the horseshoe brace ( 1 1/2" square tube ) that goes from C-Pillar to C-Pillar and the Pkg. shelf is welded to it , really strengthens the rear of the car.

17. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

six pics 004 (640x512).jpg six pics 003 (640x512).jpg just got these pics onto the puter =after sandblasting and then after metalwork

Gasser 57 likes this.
  18. Yeah, this car is so sweet, and amazing workmanship!
    The fact people think it is factory built says it all.
    Nice Work!!!

19. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Thank You , I really thought while building this "Concept Bodystyle" that it would stop the 33/34 guys in their tracks,but I think most of the people who knew there was no such bodystyle available back then are cruising off into the sunset.so it usually ends up being just another black car in the lineup,I have often had other car guys ask me about my license plate and ask" why is it Rare ?" one even told me it is a Ford so it's not a Rare car.....until I explain what has been rearranged and show the pictures,then it sticks.Thanks for taking the time to understand and the compliment.

Attached Files:

20. tbauer

tbauer

Don't stop building thoses ford concept cars! You'll just have educate some of us. Pass the torch. I didn't see if you made the deck lid / inner structure or is that a Henry piece ?

21. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Absolutely two thimbs up!

22. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0209.jpg our pic`s 041.jpg our pic`s 040.jpg our pic`s 042.jpg our pic`s 044.jpg our pic`s 054 (320x240).jpg
    The Decklid was a leftover, it was beatup but not rusted out ,from a 38 Chevy Coupe which my Dad had restored for an old pal. I Dissected it and fitted the inner in 3 pieces to the opening so now the bottom of the decklid is at the top and it hinges off the floor,I redesigned the chevy hinges to operate as necessary,then made an outer skin to fit.I used a Harley Davidson Clutch Handle for the Decklid Release and made linkage to a Truck tailgate plunger type lock., has a tight rubber seal around the opening,jumps open and Snaps shut like a heavy door.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  23. 60 ford

60 ford

24. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

always wondered what a '37 slantback would look like as a convertable A or B-400..could someone do a photoshop mock up?

25. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

six pics 001 (1280x1024).jpg Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the Comments

This pic was taken the first day it was out of my shop - shakedown January 20th 2004

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Gasser 57 and mgtstumpy like this.
  26. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

amazing job! beautiful car.

27. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Thank you,Stormy weather is keeping it inside for now, Looking forward to sunny days and warm nights :)

28. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0376.jpg IMG_0378.jpg 3 of my Fords 31 - 48 - 33

29. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Beautiful ride! Nice job on the design and execution. I especially like the trunk. Looks like it came that way. Awesome!

30. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Thanks, it was built from itself,just rearranged the pieces i cut off,so the curveature and fit if the sheetmetal was a natural.it really is my idea of the ultimate Fordor