Register now to get rid of these ads!

storm chasers in a 32!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Nov 2, 2011.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Or should I say The storm was chasing us!! Last Friday I left Newfoundland with a friend to go pick up a 32 Ford sedan in Montreal which is about 2400 KM from home..Plan was to drive the car home.First we had to fly up there and get ourselves to the guys house.Now trying to find your way around a french city when all you know is english is quit interesting..Well after a 45 min drive in a cab we mad it to the guys home. Real nice guy and was up front and honest about what was wrong with the car and pointed everything out to us before the deal was done.He had some cool stuff the chevy was sweet and john wished he could of got that too. But it was sold when we got there.. Seem the guy had a love for bikes..cool bike too.Love the chrome.. anyway we were there for the 32..It was a street rod but that is what John wanted.. What i liked was that it was a all steel 32.. and the body mods were only a chop top and everything else looked stock.. we even got the sides for the hood.John dont like the open engine look..On this car i think he is right.. It was a 350/350. chevy combo with a 10 bolt chevy out back and a mustang II setup up front..Before we left i had to rig up a lighter in the car so as to navigate our way back home and most of all get up out of Quebec!! Well that done and with all the paperwork done we were off on the road..

Attached Files:

2. fitzee

fitzee

Now John felt i should drive for the first bit to get the feel for the car to see if there was any problems.. Car had a lot of get up and go and it much of had at lease 373 out back..not good on the old fuel mileage!! nothing too bad jumped out at me. steering had some small issus but on close inspection is was something that was ok to drive and a easy fix..Now that we were under way there was one problem.. it October in canada and this thing had no heat!!and to top that off we has a storm behind us for 2400 KM!! we had to drive 12 hours first day... got up next morning and had to do something about the the heat problem so i went to work and riged up some heat at the local Canadian tire in Fredericton. it wasn`t much in the way of heat but it took the chill out of the car.. and off we went to the boat Mad some stops along the way..still being told of the storm.. Hope it don`t catch us..

Attached Files:

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Im still pissed you guys didnt stop in on the way by :D I bet you talked him into buying it so you would have a good original body to get measurements from eh Fitzee :rolleyes:

4. fitzee

fitzee

With a few stops.. one for food and many for gas we moved down the road staying ahead of the storm so far..There was lots to see along the way but when i seem this garage we had to stop!!.

Attached Files:

5. fitzee

fitzee

Now what is a trip to the Island with out a stop at "Lick-a-Chick" which is next store to "Lick-a-Treat".. two cool names for a take out and real good grub.. then it was onto the boat for a 3 hour wait!!

Attached Files:

6. Sounds like a good adventure!

I LOVE driving them home!!!

7. fitzee

fitzee

Now with a 7 hour boat ride out of the way and a 5 o'clock wake up for breakfast. we were on the road in Newfoundland at 6.30 in the morning.. in darkness we took our time to avoid a moose or at least try to!! For over a hour we drove in the dark only to have the sky's get light to see a dark and gloomy sky..The weather that was behind us was close and there was no time to fool around.. it is a 10 to 12 hour run across our island and the weather can be nasty this time of year.. On top of that our heater was no match for the cold Newfoundland wind.. remember it is a 32 and the doors are not air tight!!..

Attached Files:

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well, I was going to ask what the 'lighter' was for, but I think I figured it out-for a GPS unit, correct...??? Don't they have cheap printed maps in Canada anymore...???

Looks like a fun trip...did you make it home before the storm was able to rock the boat...???

R-

9. fitzee

fitzee

Well with over have the Island behind us and the weather getting close we thought we were going to make it without any trouble!! Sorry.. the snow started at about the mid point of our Island trip.. the little wiper had a hard time pushing the snow out of the way and on top of that the inside was steaming up and i had to use our little heater to keep the steam off.. Stopping now for not only gas but to warm up and drink lots of warm coffee and tea.. We were wondering if we were going to make it but with 2200 Km behind us we only has another 200 to go..The snow changed to rain and the wind picked up..the car started to show us she had a few leaks around the cowl vent.. John feeling so close to home tried to pick up speed only to have us hydroplane not once but twice..So slowing down to a craw was a must.. As we pulled into my show cold and wet we realized out 2400 km hike was over and I woke the next morning to hear of major snow storm that hit the center of the island that evening.The storm was chasing up and catching us but we stay just far enough ahead to beat him home..

Attached Files:

10. rusty addiction

rusty addiction

Great pictures, cool car, and a good story. Had to be a great weekend.

11. alsancle

alsancle

Cool story. We got 20 inches of wet snow down here and it knocked down almost every tree in my yard.

12. Just part of the experiences... you've got to love it!

(or until the storm catches you!)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qz_hSy-55dM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

If and when your friend pulls out the back seat and there is evidence that previously there were tailights mounted on the backside of the body P.M. me for some history.

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man, I wish I could have gone up with you guys!

Geezzz fitzee....your road miles on the TCH are getting up into "trucker" territory this year!
    I'd be expecting a DOT drivers logbook in the mail if I were you!!!! Hahaha

Good story bud....:D

15. Hey Fitz, bet you were wishing you were in your roadster and not cooped up in a closed car eh! Pat

16. rustydibris

rustydibris

Looks like it was blast and great to know you made it through trouble free.
    Once went with a friend in january to pick up a 98 tj with a soft top... only to get on the highway and didnt have the top latched on only for the wind to rip it off. Had to take turns driving...

17. fitzee

fitzee

Not likely!! lol It was a cool ride home but in my car!! I need a snow suet!! lol

18. fitzee

fitzee

Yes maps are there but my phone would do a lot more.. and very easy to follow on the road..

19. fitzee

fitzee

We were thinking of going down your way but that storm follow us and we keep hearing about it so we passed on any stops. Lucky we did..it was a mess here Sunday night..Dont you worry I`ll be sizing this up very close.. Other then Mine and Bills this is the only steel 32 Ford we know of around here..

20. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Sheesh...
    You sure know how to make some "cool" trips.
    Last weekend I was up to CB where we had met up.
    Only saw a little white stuff on the sides of the road on Mt. Thom.
    I was wondering how you guys were doing up that way. Winter. Yuck.
    What did you use for heat? One of those little 12v ceramic heaters? They don't blow.. they suck! No wonder you were cold.
    Nice trip documentation. Thanks for that.
    Looks like a fun car.
    What's the next trip planned?

21. Roy39

Roy39

Fitzee-- nice pics and coverage of your trip.
    Looks like a real nice car cant wait to see it.
    Glad you made it back without any serious issues.

22. rusty addiction

rusty addiction

Now you have to convince John the back seat has to come out:p.

Hey Joe, Just finished looking at your photos. There's a few new ones since I last looked. Looking good, it is nice to see you're making progress.:cool::)

23. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Gee.. should be easy to get anyone to take the back seat out if it means a story!

24. Great story! I tell my wife all the time " It's all about memories"!!

25. I just fluked into your thread, great story. The 32 looks like a nice car.