Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy rearend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mysteryman, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

thought i would share what im attempting to do.my chevelle has a single traction rear end.ive been looking for a good low geared positive traction rear but they cost more than my budget.so i found a 6 lug truck rear end with a 4;56 gear and its a positive traction for $50.00.i took the axles to work welded up the lug stud holes and put it on lathe turned down center of axle where fit in chevelle drum.all left to do is drill new 5 lug holes and swap out brake backing plates.hopefully this will work.the width of the rearend is within a 1/2" of the one im removing so thats no issue.has anyone ever attempted this.

2. squirrel

squirrel

are you going to try to put the gears in your housing? ain't gonna work....different bearing sizes.

or are you installing the whole rearend complete? it doesn't have the upper control arm ears cast into it

3. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

no im actually putting the complete truck rear end under my car just converting to 5 lug car pattern using my brakes and back plates..yes im going to fabricate the upper cotol arm ears.like i said im attempting this.i learned dirt track racing if you dont learn how to repair ,fabricate etc youll go broke in a hurry.by the way squirrel you have my favorite car on the hamb

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. squirrel

squirrel

thanks! yeah the truck rear should work, it's pretty much the same as the car 12 bolt but the pinion bearing is a different size, and a few other things.

Remember the black widow 57 chevys for stock car racing? they ran 6 lug truck rears and special 6 lug front hubs