Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grandfather gave me my Great Grandfather's 41 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Transslam, Aug 22, 2011.

1. I found a shifter from a 40 Buick...guy wants 30 bucks and shipping.

2. Transslam

Transslam

I havnt updated this thread in a while due to all the firefighting i have been doing. But i have managed to fire the motor in the car for the first time since 1958. The motor runs great!!!!! I now need a fuel tank and all I have found is some on ebay for 250 bucks. Got a shifter out of a 40 buick from Rocky that might work, havnt had time to tear it down yet to see. If anyone knows somewhere else to get a fuel tank I'm all ears....cheers!

3. tedster

tedster

Lucky dog. Nice

4. Rebracer

Rebracer

Absolutely gorgeous car in an original condition that is impossible to find, what a lucky man! PLEASE DON'T LOWER THIS CAR!

5. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

WOW!!!!! This whole story is just as cool as the car. If I was in your shoes I'd get it running & drivable and all nice & shiney and and have a blast by driving the wheels off of it.

6. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

Join the Buick Club, they know stuff and have sources. Anyone suggest an overdrive unit. It's period correct, and what about those carbs & air filter.

7. Curious to know if the 40 shifter worked in your 41?? Still fighting fire?

8. christjazz1

christjazz1

Man, some folks have all the luck. I'd say skirts, whitewalls, visor and a good polish and wax. That's what I would do assuming the mechanics are taken care of. Just my two cents, Oh, and have fun.

9. Transslam

Transslam

not having any luck on finding skirts or a visor.......

10. Transslam

Transslam

the shifter did not work i guess it has to be a 41, got the car all ready to drive just cant drive it without a shifter. And no luck on finding one yet.

11. oldguy829

oldguy829

I have a shifter from a 41 Pontiac. Have no idea if it will work. Do you have dimensions? pics? anyway to tell if it's the same?
    It has the bracket near the top to mount to the column I think. No lever on the bottom, but it may be here somewhere. Has a threaded hole on the bottom to bolt on the shift lever.

12. carl4675

carl4675
    from Conroe, TX

Nice car .....was it last registered in Houston County are is that where you are from? I would make that thing a dependable driver and I would drive it like I stole it...good luck with it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  13. roddinron

roddinron

Yes, good advice, drive it very carefully, obeying all traffic laws, so as not to call attention to yourself, just as a car thief would to avoid being pulled over and arrested for grand theft auto. :D

14. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

15. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

Wow, what a great story. I really hope you find a shifter soon I can hardly wait to hear you took it for a drive

16. skoh73

skoh73

Just read the entire thread- amazing provenance on that vehicle. Like others said, skirts, visor, and wide whites. Have the paint buffed out; it looks like it will be amazing! Subscribed!

17. alsancle

alsancle

That car is a family heirloom and it would be a crime to mess with it. I agree with all of the posters that said clean it up and drive it. You need to preserve it and pass it down to your kid.

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

I agree with many. This is a beauty and the car as refinished will be superb. Ask yourself, "Just how many of these have I seen in a Car Show?" There was a Championship caliber '41 coupe at the San Francisco Car Show last weekend. That is the first '41 Buick I have seen other than the one our family has which was new to us in 1941. The straight eight is a great engine too and parts are bit of a challenge to find but not impossible.
    Good luck with this project!
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

19. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Congratulations on getting that sweet Sedanette - my dad wanted one of them SO bad when he was young in the late '40s; his sister's boyfriend (now my uncle) had one and they'd cruise Broadway in Paducah and the Twinkling Star drive-in in it. I tried to get one I found in Draffenville in '75 (a Special four-door, but still a fastback) when I was 15 but ended up with something else...
    Is that shifter something a machine shop could reproduce in stronger material? I wonder if another 70-year-old pot metal piece will hold up to use now.

20. teddyp

teddyp

this is a great story i wish you the best of luck with it The factory skirts and wide whites is all it needs in looks maybe a visor lee pratt bulit one that terry cook had that was cool

21. Ice man

Ice man

Well she was not a gift like yours, I paid $350.00 for the old Girl with 34000 on the clock but a lot like yours, she looked shabby till I washed and waxed and RUBBED. Also remember, the timing mark is right above the starter behind a tin cover on the bell housing. Enjoy, Iceman

Attached Files:

22. That thing is just awesome. I'm just down the road from you in Conroe.

I'd love to get a chance to see it up close sometime.

My grandfather bought the 34 Ford in my avatar new and drove it for years. I think I'd give a kidney to someone if I could locate it.

23. Transslam

Transslam

Finally got a column and robbed the part i needed to fix the shifter and drove it for the first time!!!!!!!!!! Love it Love it!!! You would have never known it hasnt moved since 1958 cruising it down the road.

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thats so great to hear! Isn't it such a rewarding/fulfilling experience? enjoy and take care of that beauty!

25. 73RR

73RR

I'm a bit late joining this party but a kinda-sorta 'relative' specializes in old GM stuff:
    http://oldcarpartsor.com/

If you call ask for Joe Sr.

26. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

That sounds like Merry Christmas to me. Good work.

27. skoh73

skoh73

Great news! Glad you were able to locate what you needed. That first ride must have been awesome- any pics?

28. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

That's great, sounds like Santa came early for you.

29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So how's the Buick doing? We need up dates!