Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Chevy Disc Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DualQuadFury, Nov 1, 2011.

1. DualQuadFury

DualQuadFury

I'm doing a disc brake conversion on a 55 Chevy 210...I'm using the old parts the customer gave me(no application info)...I have tracked down the inner wheel bearings, grease seals, and the wheel studs...because of the foward mounting of the calipers, it looks like the brake hose should be approx. 15" long. Anyone have a part number or a reference guide with hoses? Local NAPA isn't worth a crap. Hope someone can help.

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Not sure what kit you used, mine used 69-72 chevelle rotors with 78-88 G body (monte carlo) calipers and hoses.

3. squirrel

squirrel

go to a different parts store?

4. DualQuadFury

DualQuadFury

No idea what "kit" the parts came from...figured it all out in 2 days...just lokking for that longer hose, as I would rather not relocate the hose mounting bracket or mess with new lines.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

You need: Raybestos # 10303, or Wagner # 24070, or Delco # 176-22 or 176-333. Bring your tape measure with you. Done several 55-56 Chevy conversions.

6. DualQuadFury

DualQuadFury

Cerberus, thanks for the heads up on the hoses. What would you suggest for a dual master cylinder/proportion valve ? (with power brakes and booster on the firewall)

7. AutoZone 712703 77338 $8.49 ea you will need to tke off the mounting bracket. An easy install.

I just put a set on one of my 55 hardtops.

8. DualQuadFury

DualQuadFury

Ok guys...the hoses are the same as the stock hoses on the car now...There is no banjo fitting on the new hose to mount to the caliper....threaded on caliper side..I don't have an old hose to go by....I took on the job to help out a guy who can't physically do it himself....looks like I have to find the correct calipers

9. The numbers I gave you have a banjo end. You just need the correct bolt.

10. Literally any GM master for a disc-drum application should work. When in doubt go with 70s Chevelle or Nova.

11. airmentbob

airmentbob
    from san diego

use a non metric rotor like off of a 68 camaro with disc brakes. just use the stock gear make sure you get the caliper that fits your calliper bracket. i believe it's the small caliper, etc...off of any gm car from the 70's. the kit from danchuk is probably cheaper unless you get junkkyard stuff like me.

12. DualQuadFury

DualQuadFury

The calipers were from an older disc brake conversion and of course, take a banjo fitting. I got Wagner hoses # 24070. They are not right...threaded at the ends..so I called Auto Zone with the numbers Denver Dave gave me and they opened the box and told me they are also threaded ends...not sure what's going on here.

13. Cerberus

Cerberus

If you are "not sure of what's going on here" post some pictures. Pix speak volumns.

14. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

This is O/T for sure

Wagner Brake Hoses are always way shorter than the ones I took off the car