Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see some some Slick 60s F100s!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Thanks 64 Thunderbolt! My truck is a '64, we lowered it six inches in the front and seven inches in the rear. The front is one of Sid's three inch dropped axles along with reverse eye mono leafs. In the rear we just flipped the rear axle on top of the springs along with a one inch lowering block.

2. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

I LOVE that look! What size wheels & tires are you running? Did you tub the rear? Got any other pictures?
    I'm thinking about flipping the front instead of a drop axle & mono leafs & then raising the steering box! I'm going to do what you did to the rear.

3. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Thanks again! My main goal was to have the wheel wells FULL of rubber. I could actually get the truck to sit lower with a shorter tire but the really tall tires give the illusion that the truck is lower than it really is while still having pretty good ground clearance and being very drivable. This is is my daily driver so it had to be usable as a truck and easy to drive. The Front is on 215/70-15's mounted on 15x5 wheels. The rear tires are 255/70-15's on 15x8 wheels. I didn't have to tub the rear, all the sheet metal is stock. The pumpkin does hit the bed floor on really big bumps but I don't have the shims under my bed like you are supposed to yet so I will gain about an inch of clearance once I find those. There is a really good writeup about flipping the front axle here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531700

4. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

[​IMG]

This is the only other picture I have of the truck right now. I was going to start a build thread on this one but I always forget to take pictures when I'm working. I wanted a lot of rake with this one because of the way the hood line runs uphill. Our trucks can look a little swaybacked because of the body line. If you look at my truck the hoodline is actually parallel to the ground while the rest of the bodyline on the doors and the bed have a pretty healthy forward rake.

droppedstepside likes this.
  5. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Thanks for the help & the pics! This post you led me to is where I got the idea to flip the front. I've been following the build on the slick 60's website.
    I want to widen he rear wheel wells & go with a wider wheel & tire combo. I want to basically do the same thing you did on the rear!
    I just bought mine & still haven't had it hauled to where I live, I'll post some pics later. The truck it about 2 & 1/2 hours a way as we speak!

6. DHP NM

DHP NM
    from NM

here's my 63 uni. this is how I got it. right now we have the front clipped with an s10 that was almost free. after suspension is done, we move to body and paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

My daily driver 63...

Attached Files:

8. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

A few pictures of my trusty F100. It served as a daily driver for over a year. I put on about 20,000 miles on it. It even started when it was 25 below although I had to keep the battery inside the house. Also for some weird reason the lights wouldn't come on until a few minutes after the truck was started when it was really cold. Driving home from work at 10 at night with 20-30 below temps outside for 20 miles was a very very cold ride. The heat didn't work worth a crap. I am repairing some of the issues before the snow flies, one of which is putting in a thermostat. My late model daily has been having transmission troubles so I want to make sure the ole beast is ready to go if need be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 6narow

6narow

Oh Phil, How you pull at the heartstrings with that truck!
    I can't tell you how many camo'd Ford's of around that vintage used to run in this area.
    I see one occassionally now, but not nearly as much as I used to.

Your heating probs could've been solved two ways...

1) A hotter t'stat. Sometimes 5-10 degrees makes all the difference in the world.

2) A "Winter Front". If you're unaware of that phrase it is the large vinyl "vest" seen covering the radiator on tractor-trailer rigs in the winter time.
    I have an import that had that problem, but I didn't have a hotter t'stat option, so I took some cardboard and cut it so it fit in front of the radiator (its a single core, so there's a little "ledge" for it to sit on), covering all but a couple of inches of the top (start off covering the bottom half of the radiator, and work with progressively larger pieces of cardboard until you get the desired effect. It may be that your truck only needs half the radiator covered).
    Worked like a champ. The temp gauge actually moved and I had enough heat (and defrost!) to make a difference. It came on much quicker, too.
    Truck never overheated because of it, either (at least during the winter months).
    I still have it sitting behind the back of the seat in that truck, just in case.
    Cover the cardboard with duct tape to keep the weather off it, otherwise it'll bend into a "U" shape and its effectiveness decreases greatly.

...btw, what year is that Willys Aero seen in your avatar?

6narow

10. 6narow

6narow

Nice ride, Chickenwire. My favourite year. Camper Special?

6narow

11. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

Thanks 6narow! It's just an all original Custom Cab, 292, 3 speed truck... I drive the crap outta her and it's just a great truck!

12. cc51

cc51
    from So Cali

My kind of ride!

13. CedarSpeed

CedarSpeed

dad got a new toy 66 with a 65 grill and a 390 3 speed.

Attached Files:

14. derbydad276

derbydad276

here is my bump side I bought it as a driver but my 17 yr old son stole it from me and made it a daily driver for school he and I choped 1 and 1/4 coils from the front and fliped the spring hangers in the rear and found set of slots to give it a cool look
    future plans call for a crown vic subframe and a 4 link in the rear and bags
    orginal idea was to paint it flat blat with a silver metal flake roof I am now leaning twards red with flat clear and badging it as a shop truck for the standard station I pumped gas at as a kid I am lovin the H.A.M.B. for givin me all kinds of ideas

Attached Files:

15. Flying Finn

Flying Finn

Here's my daily driver...

Attached Files:

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Mine finally got paint last week.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      312.7 KB
      Views:
  17. mrforddude

mrforddude

Mine's over here
    <<<<<<<<<<<<

Don't know a dang thing about it yet other than it's got a hot water six and granny four speed. And right now it's close to you 65FordGuy.

I should be tinkering with it before much longer and we'll see where I get with it.

18. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

19. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I haven't posted many updates on my truck since I started the thread.. so I figured I would put it back up to the top with a few pics..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wheels are just temps.. but, at least they aren't billet... they are
    Alcoa aluminum wheels.. my stock steelies were way to thin and way out of round.. wobbled and vibrated horribly.. lol and after owning the truck for 5 years I just realized I had a dodge steel wheel on it.. thats what the problem was! lol. jk. they were all pretty bad.

My hood has been problematic, the nut plate holes stripped out on me so I've had to re tap those and now drilling out the hood hinges so I can adjust it... the paint is getting cut and touch ups done at the moment... interior is waiting on a new seat cover, headliner, and gauge cluster.. may make a custom one.

For those that don't know we cut the bed out of a late 90s dodge and grafted it in to the f100..
    The bed is going to get some more body work and then shot with Als bed liner... yeah.. I know.. but, its a driver.. and I want to be able to throw chairs, camera gear, whatever.. in the back and not worry about scratching paint... its a truck right!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  20. salf100

salf100

Here's a better pic of mine. Work in progress! ImageUploadedByTJJ1324096504.807752.jpg

I shaved the rain channels above the doors only. It came out pretty good.

21. daddio211

daddio211

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  22. 6narow

6narow

65FordGuy,

Thanks for the update.
    The truck is looking real nice.
    JMHO, but keep the "temporary" wheels.
    Looks sweet with the blue/white paint.

6narow

23. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

thats dope!

24. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

agreed

25. here are some photo's of my 64
    Straight axle removed and replaced with 66 twin I beam
    61 390hp with tri power
    t5 5 speed transmission

Attached Files:

26. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Getting ready to put on the front roll pan on the truck.. pulled it from a big slick.. its painted up and now going to cut the front frame horns off and use bumper brackets from my 64 to tuck the bumper back up nice and tight.. I'll post pics soon.. anyone else running one of these front roll pans.. I've seen some with out a bumper, done in a street rod style.

27. Theopwk

Theopwk
    from Spokane WA

Finally got mine going.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. TheSandman

TheSandman

Bring this back up, trucks look awesome guys!

I'm getting ready to pick up a 66 and first order of business is to drop it.

I understand that clips and dropped beams are the ticket, has anyone swapped a leaf/dropped i beam setup? I would think it's easier to lower.

I'm trying to avoid buying DJM beams because I've heard mixed emotions with them. Plus it's more then I paid for the truck.

Anyone have pics of slicks with cut springs/bent beams?

Thanks guys

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My 66 is finally going back togather.

Attached Files:

30. 46stude

46stude

My old '64 F250- long gone to the scrap yard.

Attached Files: