Register now to get rid of these ads!

History **Found this little gem a couple days ago, all original 1936 Dodge truck**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!
    Glad you got it and are leaving it!

Very nice!

2. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

WOW!!! Time has stood still!!!! Is the cap in front of the driver's seat the fuel fill?

3. mike hamel

mike hamel

Yes! Kind of weird knowing your feet sit right above the fuel tank! Gotta open the driver door to fill up! It's a huge gas tank too, like 20 gallons.

Iv got a question for people. Would it hurt the truck to put a D&S 2x1 intake and edmunds finned head on the truck? I think it might be neat for a few period speed parts but maybe it might be to much?

Has anybody had any experience with Fish carbs? They ar supposed to be really rare 1 barrel carbs. I have a few and might put them on the intake.

I don't know, what do you think?

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

flaunt it if you got it,think it would be different in a good way. cool lil truck

5. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Just got to reading this for the first time! Wow, I just can't believe it! That's a once in a life-time thing right there! All I can say is Wow!

6. i love it! so elegant, especially for a truck

7. Fantastic.....I see you didn't reuse the security chain on the spare!

8. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I don't think the 2x1 would hurt anything improve it more than anything else.
    How ever I would only use the sweet spots in all gears don't wind it up tight!
    Split the exhaust higher gear or 5 speed and for ever smile.

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I believe you have a 218 cu in engine same as a 230 but shorter stroke. The are a couple intake manifolds on e pay right now one even with the carbs. You may want to consider milling the head as they were pretty low compression like 6.4 to 1 or i that neighborhood. If you find vintage speed parts make sure they are correct length for the engine. It should be 23.5 at the head. Under the head on the block above the genny is the engine number That will tell you if the engine is original to the truck. There is a look up site that the guys on the pilot house forum can link you to just to be sure. Also if you send the serial number (located on a plate attached to the A pillar between the door hinges) to the Chrysler historical society at the Walter P Chrysler Museum in Detroit, for I think 50 bucks, they can provide you with a facsimile of the build card for the truck. Tell where when the truck was assembled and where and who the recieving dealer was.

That really cleaned up nicely. Just for info, if and when you need points and other tune up stuff, makes sure you take the number off the dizzy info plate not the part number but the other that starte typically with IAG , IGS, or IAT. As there were several dizzys used that will interchange between engines but their parts will not between dist. Hint AC 45/46 work a lot better than Champions, and spark plug wires if your not looking for braided cloth style are available from Tractor Supply co. in universal 6 clyl sets for about 20 bucks.

You said new battery and cables, did you hook up postive ground, and are the cables 1 or 0 gauge? If not your hurting reliable starts and running.

You can contact member olddaddy (www.rustyhope.com) for split stock intakes and exhuasts. Just keep the parts you swap so you or somebody else can put it back to stock if you or they like.

10. yruhot

yruhot

Congrats on your find. I'm jelous and happy for you at the same time. Drive it and have a ball with it. YRUHOT.......Doug

11. mike hamel

mike hamel

Thank you for all the great information on the drivetrain. What head would you rather buy on eBay? The Edgy or the edmunds.... After all my research, it seems that these engines need split exhaust for better performance gains too. My engines oil pressure is at 45 pounds. That's decent right? What's typical for a 218 mopar straight 6?

Yes we connected the positive ground with large cables for the 6v electrical system.

12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

In my honest opinion - you change one thing on that motor or the whole truck - it would be foolish.

The value of it would go down considerably because you are affecting the total time capsule it is.
    New tires, hoses, belts, plugs, brakes - sure to make it road worthy, but you start changing a head, carb etc to some hop up version , NOPE.
    The fact you found it as it is was truely incredible.

You start taking the head off and carb etc. - that changes it's value and to me it's originality is it's strength.
    It's not like guys of 1936 had access to the hop up stuff - or did much of that to trucks. A coupe - sure maybe. But not a truck.

I wouldn't touch it - again my opinion.
    I would be interested in buying it - as it sits - just as it is now.
    You start changing a bunch of stuff - my interest fades.

My opinion - don't touch it.
    I like it just as it is.

Cob

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  13. Rem

Rem

Great looking truck. Although we're all supposed to be hot rodders here, I think I'm with corncobcoupe on this one. You've got enough hot rods to be able to leave this one as it is. :)

14. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

great find, a very nice truck, perfect just leave it as is

15. What a truck, what a find - just unreal condition. I'm not a purist by any means. But, IMHO, I would only modify what I could turn back to totally original - in other words, just "bolt-on" stuff. I do not think this would alter the value in any way since it could just be "turned back" to stock at any time. No harm, no foul ....

16. 53inSD

53inSD

WOW....Looks perfect as it is. Very beautiful truck.

17. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i would leave it. it's a time capsule and a once in a lifetime find. it deserves to stay that way. leave the hop-up stuff for your rod builds

18. change the carbs and manifold
    they can be put back with just bolts.... what if you needed to change the gasket..would that take away form it being original
    i wouldnt change the head..unless it needed a new gasket
    tk

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

20. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

NICE ride....I say change whatever you want...it is your truck....BUT keep all the original parts so it can be put back to stock if needed......stan

21. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

edgy is modern, edmunds is period, but I have an Edmunds and the casting is very porous. And engines was engines so what ever fit on the car would fit on the truck engine. As a matter of fact Ellis made manifolds for "dual power for your truck"

As long as you do not do any thing that is not a bolt on swap, the value of the vehicle would not be lessened as long as you keep the stock stuff with the vehicle.

a post from another forum on Ellis

http://www.brockwaytrucks.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1252

There was stuff out ther for trucks.

[​IMG]

22. alchemy

alchemy

You already powder-coated the wheels, so might as well add the speed equipment to the engine. And probably split the manifold and add dual exhaust as well.

Then think about a little rubber rake and reverse the spring eyes on the front.

All that stuff could be put back by a restorer very easily if they wanted to. But there's no restorers here, are there? :)

23. mike hamel

mike hamel

Yeah im not going to do anything. I might pick that edmunds head up if it goes for a good deal. I'll just keep it on the shelve. If you look at my D&S intake, it mounts to the stock exhaust. I think that it is exhaust heated? I'd only do an intake just because it's a bolt on thing, but for now, I'm just going to drive her stock and enjoy it. I'm not going to mess with a thing. I wouldn't do anything major that would take any from the originality of the truck. It's only original once and I might as well save the hot Rodding for the Fords in the family...haha. It runs perfect and chugs along just how a stock flathead should.

Yeah I used all OEM stuff. I found original style US royal 20" tires. All the electrical that needed to be gone through got NOS stuff put in. The fan belt was an Atlas one I found that was NOS and under the seat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  24. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

I just found this thread and all I can say is WOW!!!! I have a soft spot for '36 Dodge trucks and I think my heart just skipped a beat! That thing is amazing and I would have to agree with some on here, don't change a thing. No speed parts or any of that stuff. As cool as it would be on there, it would certainly kill the value of it's originality. Just keep her gassed up and drive the tires off of her :D

25. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

That is just plain cool!

26. mike hamel

mike hamel

Yeah iv come to the conclusion that there is no need for speed equipment! It's not that style, it doesn't need any of that, it would just be a ding againt the value and originality. Iv got an original Simplex Servi cycle that is blue as-well that I'm going to stick in the truck bed and haul it around. I think that might look cool!

[​IMG]

27. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

VERY VERY nice score!! The fact that it was local... killer! I drag crap home from 7 states away and enjoy countless rust repairs instead.

28. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

That cycle will look perfect in the bed of that truck!

29. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

Congrats on the new truck, thats an awesome find. A little bit of maintenance and you're up and running

30. mike hamel

mike hamel

Haha it already is running and driving down the road. It didn't take much, it's been undercover since 1949. Surprising the motor runs as good and clean as it does. The hydraulic brake fluid though solidified into a almost a solid. We spoke with the local brake shop and they told us to use denatured alcohol to clean out the brake lines and it wont hurt the rubber. That stuff is amazing! We ran It through the brake lines once and it cleaned everything out. That was the easiest brake bleeding iv ever done!!