Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swapmeet ideas...east coast guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clark, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Clark

Clark

We have been kicking around the idea of starting a new swapmeet and would like some input.

We have a great location that is willing to work with us. It has the potential for 300-500 spaces and plenty of parking. It's close to Carlisle and Hershey...most will know where I'm talking about.

Now the trick to a good swap is getting the venders and the buyers together. Plus getting good venders.

First idea is to keep it cheap. Maybe start with vender spaces being free. Just charging $5 a person whether you are vending or spectating. maybe after it's established addind a $5 or $10 charge for spaces.

Spectator price too high for a small swap?

Now one of the ideas is the timing of the event. Would it be good to have the event on saturday or sunday while Carlisle is going on? Maybe the Sunday between Carlisle and Hershey (next year) Maybe spring and fall?

Carlisle is dead on saturday and a ghost town on sunday. Maybe it would give the people that are in town something to do.

Hopefully the cheap vender spaces will bring out the average guy just wanting to sell the extra's in his garage. Of coarse it would bring the pros out too.

We're not looking to run Carlisle out of business....they're doing it on their own with their high prices. Just looking to have a cool little swap meet and have another event at this location.

What do you guys think????
    Clark

2. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Clark....couldn't you do that just a little closer to the Jersey Shore???:)

Closer to Philly?

But I guess you already have a site lined up.......man, I am always having to travel the distance......nothing ever goes on down here......

Your idea sounds feasible for sure....

CB

3. teddyp

teddyp

due it the week-end of e-town or the spring after carlise

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

You have to protect yourself, so the cost of insurance will have something to do with the gate cost. In between Carlisle and Hershey may be good for the local guys, but I don't know it would work for guys that have a 4-8 hour drive each way. Good luck with the plan. Bob

5. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Fall Carlilse gets the most traffic I think as far as people already on the road to buy.

6. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Clark, not to throw a monkey wrench into your idea, which I think is good, but in addition to insurance costs you need to make provisions for spot-o-pot costs, lay-out (spray paint or ? for spaces), spectator parking, possible security if more than 1 day, mutiple entry points to collect fees, postage costs to provide credentials in advance i.e. stickers or ID, possible advertising fees, also trusting folks to man entry points with cash, folks to handle emergencies or issues during the event, plus all those nasty gov't things like permits, taxes, etc... It takes a lot of planning, coordination, participation and money to pull off something that large.

7. Clark

Clark

Yeah insurance will need to be checked into.

Mike in the beginning swap spaces will not be limited in size. Yeah eventually spaces will need to be laid out.

Spot a pots are not a problem.

Spectator parking is OK....(something you need!)

In the beginning security won't be a problem. If it grows maybe then it could be two days or an evening load in.

There is a lot to consider.
    Clark

8. Clark

Clark

Would it be better to have a totally different date, not close to Hershey or Carlisle. Was just thinking that there are a lot of people in town already.
    Clark

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

In the old days (25 years ago) you could buy stuff at Carlisle and flip it the next week in Hershey. Guess my question is do you want to host an event that will help builders find parts, or provide another swap for guys that flip stuff, not that there is anything wrong with either.

10. fatabone

fatabone

Both but I think there may also be a car auction on the same grounds Monday. So, swap meet on Sunday and preview the cars being auctioned and Monday the auction. A lot of vendors go from Carlisle to Hershey and have nothing to do Sunday and Monday.

11. Clark

Clark

37kid....can't really make a swapmeet that is geared to the guy buying parts for his project. The Hawks (flippers) will be there no matter what. I know too many guys that go to Hershey just to buy stuff to sell. I may do it a little but I'm more of a hoarder and hate to sell stuff. :)

What I'd like to see is the average guy bringing out their junk. At $90 a space it's hard for the little guy to make any money or be worth his time to sell his stuff. At those prices you're lucky to be able to pay for the space.

At let's say $10 a space the average guy can sell his junk. You don't have to get the worlds greatest price for an item just to pay for the space.
    Clark

12. Clark

Clark

We're talking about having the swap at the Latimore fairgrounds.

Skid...yeah it would sorta have the same feel as the Cowtown swap.

We could do another weekend. We were just thinking it would work out to have it between Carlisle and Hershey. there are a lot of out of towners that hang around for both. It would give them something to do.

If we were to do a date by itself.....would saturday or sunday be better??
    Clark

13. historynw

historynw

New York seem to be the orphans in the fall for good swaps....so anything closer works. In fact I'm heading to Carlisle tomorrow. I think something between here and there works...I have a guy from RI, 2 from NH and I from Ct. going.

14. Spring and Fall make the most sense. Kids are in school and most folks are done with vacations. Paying $10 to $20 for a swap meet space is reasonable for anyone, including the vendor who is cleaning out the garage or dealing left over project parts.

I would rather pay for the spot vs an admission fee per person. This allows for more money spent on vendors items.

I have no problem paying for a space if the event is well advertised.

Have a different price for different spaces. Covered spaces more $$$. Larger Space more $$$. Space near the entrance more $$$.

Also, pre sell spaces.

You need good size spaces. We use 6 foot tables and typically prefer to have are vehicle parked at the space. So, you need a space at least 12 to 14 feet wide.

If you cant afford to let the vendor parking at their space, keep in mind they are trapped until the event is over.

I am sure I can add more... And I will

Love the idea.............. We need more of these on the east coast

Jay

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can't really get into the idea of a filler meet between Carlisle and Hershey, but something like the Kempton, Pa swap of 30-35 years ago would be another thing. We used to drive down in the springtime and see and buy some really neat stuff. Picking a date that doesn't conflict with established well attended meets is always a problem. A 3-4 hour drive for a one day event is about the limit IMO. I'm a vendor at Hershey only, getting older, or lack of stuff to lug around, I don't know, I'd rather walk around. However if the swap space fee was under $20.00 I guess you could cover that with the sale of some odds & ends that would fit in the trunk. I'd like the event to happen Clark, just throwing out things as I see them. Worked on my Hershey stack of stuff this morning, not a pretty pile.

16. 1oldrat

1oldrat

Keep us posted,I'm in.

17. sawzall

sawzall

clark..

I WOULD NOT be interested in a fall swap between carlisle and hershey, PERIOD.. i always plan to go to etown, carlisle, and hershey and each is a day trip for me. The idea of "staying over" at latimore wouldn't be of interest to me.

I really like the spring idea though.. perhaps the week before or after Carlisle? similar to the old H.I.T.S. show (Hershey in the spring) - theres a name for you.

additionally because were talking about latimore here, I bet the museum would be of interest to some of the "street rodders" who would otherwise not attend the showdown.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  18. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Used to go to the Silver Springs sprint car swap meet in PA. Buyers walked in free, I don't know what vendors paid. I was amazed and happy with that. I think they sold that track so the swap meet is no more. But that is an idea that might bring a big turnout, folks are tired of $12 or $15 walk in charges to buy stuff.

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

Got a new show coming up here in Fla. Saw a flyer $70 a space ,saw the same show flyer 2 weeks and these greedy idiots took black marker,covered $70 and inked in $80 now on the internet its $90 .And the entry fee to the public is just plain stupid. Also the show even copied a out of state show's name. Definitely will not be going to this get rich quick show and alot of other buddies won't either. If you are going to start a new show and swapmeet 1st impression is everything.

20. Scott76

Scott76

Clark, Way not have the swap during the Showdown? I know there is already a swap there and you got people coming already. So why not bait the vendors in with them knowing there is already a large crowd you already have? I was never up top at the musuem but would that area hold the venders since the track is spoken for that weekend or even have them setup through the camping area. Have the standard venders setup in the infield and the newer ones setup in the other area.

Kind of like having 2 events. The Showdown and the swap, if the area can hold it all. It would be perfect timing. If anyone else is like me I have a budget and trying to spread it to thin around Fall Carlisle and Hershey really sucks and if you throw another swap in that time frame just won't work for me.

21. Mike knows how to put on an GREAT event (JalopyRama), listen to what he has to say very carefully!! Good luck with your plans, whatever you decide on, I will try and support it as a dealer and spectator.
    I will be going to Carlisle tomorrow and will spend well over $100.00 in gas, parking,gate and lunch, just to look for a few things I might or might not need. I will also most likey pay too much for anything I do find, but I do understand some of the prices from the dealers point just how much it costs them to set up there with the transportation, space fee, motels and food etc it will cost a small fortune for them to sell.

22. Ok......... My brother an I have an hour windshield time every morning and we discussed swap meet. With that said....

Add a Car Corral area for roller projects and finished cars only. No selling parts in the Corral. Charge a premium for the Car Corral area.

You know it will turn into a Car Show, You might want to add Hotrod Parking area.

Be strict about a final setup time for vendors. Have a cut off time for vehicles moving in the swap meet area.

Try to leave room around each vending area so people can walk between vendors.

Find a local Scout Troop, furnish them with wagons to help buyers move parts.

23. burger

burger

Hey Clark,

Fall is always chaos for me and most of the other men I know. Yardwork, kids going back to school, finishing up outdoor projects before it gets cold, sports.... you know the drill. As it is, I don't have enough time to attend both Carlisle and Hershey. If you placed your event between the two, it would mean choosing between three. Sorry, but I'm probably going to pick Hershey!

Spring is a whole different matter. After being cooped up all winter, I'm chomping at the bit to get outside and do something. If you had an early spring swap meet, like Cowtown, I'd attend every year.

Other thoughts. I like the idea of a car corral. Anything less than $20 for a vendor space is a bargain. $30 sounds fair but not tempting. $40 sounds expensive for a small swap. As a spectator, I don't want to spend more than $10.

Ed

24. What He Said!

25. Clark

Clark

Yeah...I would choose Hershey over all else too. Hell I didn't go to Carlisle this year. Maybe that weekend isn't a good idea. What about the beginning of November for a date?

Good ideas from all!

The showdown is already full and we'd like to get more going on at the fairgrounds and museum. It's a great place!

The idea of leaving space between venders is actually a really good one but someone will allways fill those isles.

The pits could be used as a car coral and it would be nice to have special parking for the guys that drive their hot rods or cool cars in general...sorta like Englishtown does.
    Clark

26. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

In all honesty, I go to the Showdown for the show and to check out the museum- I have plenty of stuff I could bring up to sell in the swap meet area, but never do because I don't want to be anchored to my swap space all day when there's so many other things going on.

I think a springtime- April or May swap would be the way to go- I used to hit several of these early in the season but it seems like many of them disappeared. But either way, if you guys put this on I'll be there and will probably bring some old junk to sell.

27. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

There is so much in the Carlisle and Hershey area already. They bring out the same crowd of lookers and buyers. In between Carlisle and Hershey will bring the same sellers and same buyers out there.
    You said that Carlisle is Dead on Sat and a Ghost town on Sunday. I do not agree. As one of my best sale days every year is Sat. and yes Sunday is Dead. Most sellers pack up Sat afternoon and leave for their long drive home. If there were more sellers there on Sunday they would end up with more buyers there. Yes I leave on Sunday because I tried to stay and it costs more for a hotel than sales all day.
    Just my opinion based on Carlisle swap
    Why not try Allentown area

28. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Did you mention all the Mud spaces that was from the rain just before Carlisle and the rain and 30 mph wind during Carlisle this year.
    In a Auto swap should have 90% of your stuff that must be applied to a car, or replica/ pictures of actual cars (toy cars). Charge those people 25.00 for one 10 x 10 space. But as far as Real Estate people, Time Share People, Bathtub people, Cigarette people, Shoe insert People, Sock People charge them 300.00 per 10 x space in same line as other people. or $1000.00 if they want a corner space.
    Those fun people should be at the home show. or pay to get into a car swap.

29. Clark,

Contact Brad54- he's been running a swap for the last few years that has grown steadily. I'm sure he would be happy to share some ideas with you!

30. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I miss the Webster meets now that I no longer live close (lived in Jax, Fl.), JoAnn and Gary (?) ran a good show. We were the POR15 and chemical dealer for years, survived the "move" (from old lot to fairgrounds) and had years of prosperity there.