Register now to get rid of these ads!

Made a huge mistake on a 53 chevy please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Daddy's HRS, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Big Daddy's HRS

Big Daddy's HRS

I convinced my poor brother to buy a 53 chevy truck here in ar. he lives in il.

I told him dont worry about a title I know where you can get one. I paid 100 for the title to my 55 a few years back.

Now broadway title company wants 795 bucks to issue a title, and I just heard from another source that Il. wont accept broadway titles anymore.

What can I do to help him get a title for this truck. His wife is about to send him packing I feel totally responsible.

Please help!

2. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Was it bought in Illinois? It looks like your state requires the seller to provide a title by law. I would start there. See if the seller can request a duplicate title by VIN. If all else fails re-sell the truck to someone in a state with less strict title laws. Good luck to you and your brother.

3. ems customer service

ems customer service

pay broadway title, have heard they do what they say, but prices have gone up lately so 795 is in the ball park.

4. HamD

HamD

Sounds like you need to own the truck for a little while before he buys it from you.

5. hotrod51

hotrod51

All you need to get a title in AR is a Bill of Sale on any vehicle over 25 years old.You can get a BoS from the seller, title it in AR then transfer to wherever. I've done this many times.It is no big deal.

6. 2nd poster didn't read, third has no idea. IL is a real pain in the ass if you do not have paperwork nowadays. As noted, the correct way to do this is for you to "buy" the truck and title it in your name, then "sell" it to your brother with the clean AR title with which he'll be able to get an IL title without the proctological exam of both him and his wallet. Skip Broadway because most states are wise to them anyhow.

7. ratfink56

ratfink56

what hotrod51 said.

8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't panic, see what you need to do to get it titled/registered in the state where it was purchased. Then you will have paperwork for IL. Don't waste your money on the title companies, IL has recently begun denying those types of applications dependent upon which state they are coming from, search there is a post on the HAMB with some details.

This info compiled by SEMA may be helpful.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

so if someone had a "spare" historical document and VIN plate it is worth about $500.00?, let me know about realistic price as I may have a few laying around (grin)

10. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

AL is a title-required state too. We have used a local title agent many times to secure clear title on cars with dicked up paperwork. Costs about $100 - $150 (and about 30 - 60 days) depending on how many hoops they have to jump through.

Before you do anything drastic or semi-illegal, ask around at some used car lots or finance companies (or a bank, even) to see if there's anybody local to you who can help.

11. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

We have a guy around here that gets titles by putting leins on the vehicle. Like a body shop would for an abandoned vehicle. If you trust anybody in that line of work, see if they can help. After the search comes back free of theft(I'm guessing here), they could get the title and transfer it to him. Our guy charges about a 100 bucks.

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This page right from the AR DMV may help. It even includes a form link to request a replacement title. Fill it out and send it in or go to a local dmv office, smile and be extremely polite and patient while asking questions and you may find out it is not that big of a deal.

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/motorVehicle/Pages/ReplacementTitles.aspx

I should have mentioned that I have researched vin numbers on no-title motorcycles before just by calling the local PD and having them check the number to insure it is clean before applying.

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Broadway Title is too expensive and their product won't work in many States.

I would suggest All-State Title Company from Goodletsville, TN. Randy is a real pro.

14. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

IL does not accept paper work from title companies. NONE! You can get a bonded title in IL for a vehicle without paper work as long as its not reported as stolen, or abandoned. Have a receipt in hand, and call the state DMV to get the process started, takes 3-6 months. Gene

15. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

We do this all the time. I have a friend with a tow truck company. It cost $50.00 to have a lein placed on a vehicle and it takes 30 days for the paper work to clear. After the 30 day period you can walk the paperwork into the DMV with the vehicle outside, for them to do a Vin # verification on the vehicle. If all the papaer work is legit you'll walk out of there with a new paperwork in your name and a new pink slip will come in the mail.

I have never let a lack of paperwork stop me from buying a car I was after as long as I knew the previous owner wasn't running a game.

16. No two states are the same, so you can instantly dismiss what works for guys in other states. Per other threads here on the HAMB, IL has become a royal pain in the ass and your best bet is a private title in another state, as mentioned.

Even then, when you go into the DMV, send in a copy of your reciept and keep the original, there's been a pattern of them "losing" reciepts even when stapled to the old title, and trying to bill for taxes based on absurdly high values after the fact.

17. OldTimeBiker

OldTimeBiker
    from Chicago

This is the best way if you're trying to title a classic vehicle in Illinois. The biggest problems you'll run into are very poorly trained, lazy and rude Secretary of State employees who don't want to do the work to get it done for you. It takes time and can be frustrating but be pleasant and patient and in the long run you'll come out on the other end with a clean Illinois title.

18. But ANYONE can get welfare w/o ID!?!?!?!:rolleyes::eek:

19. stimpy

stimpy

yep !! and we hand out licenses to imigrants like they where money

check to see if the engine numbers match the frame numbers , if so get the packet from Il SOS and do it right , as that s what they check for , if they are in order, then bond it , and in 3 years its yours free and clear title , even trying to get a car with a tow/ mechanics lein , or salvage processed in Illiniois for clear title is a pain if brought in from another state even with a clean title , its Ok for our govenors to hand out licenses like they are newspapers , but try to title a car thats not proper . your better off comitting murder as you will get out of jail quicker

20. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Another stupid thing in IL is when I got the new title for my '58, they left the last 'r' off on my last name. I told them when I got it, and they charged me $10 to fix it. I shoulda just left it off. Geez...

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont know about Ill. ssues..but can you go to DMV (or what ever they call em in Ill.) and apply for a "Lost" title?

like I said, If this dont work in your state , its just a suggestion..so no lip bashing from the ones who know, it was just an idea

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

DON'T MESS WITH ANYTHING ANYWHERE BUT IN ILLINOIS. You will spend your money on stuff that Illinois won't accept anyway. You will have to start with the Illinois DMV and go through there Bonded title process no matter what the situation anyway. They don't care what your story is, they just want you to nod your head and write a few checks. it's easier for THEM not to think or care anyway.
    I'm just finishing up a bout that started June 08, they lost some receipts along the way. I just called them yesterday and they have no idea where my file went yet. I thought I was home free since an agent issued my VIN plate and they sent me a temp liscense plate so far. I wrote $300 in checks to them on June 8th, and they still haven't cashed them either.:mad: So you might want to have the bank make out cashiers checks to them.:rolleyes: The whole system is totally fucking Irresponsible!

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

$795 for Broadway Title? Really!
    Guess a guy should use that as a bargaining chip = a seller should knock off a grand if they're selling a vehicle w/o title.

24. metalix_421

metalix_421

25. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

In Illinois, it's all about the money. :mad::mad::mad: Like Blago said....."It's bleeping golden". :eek::eek::eek:

26. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

27. That's a good thought but in Ill. as in Wisc. in order to get a lost title they have to have the title on record, otherwise it's no go.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have to believe that that would be the same in any of the 50 states and everywhere else. You can't find what doesn't exist.

In this stat it's pretty simple with something that age. We take it to the State patrol inspection station, they inspect the rig for the vin or a vin and if they find one they run it through the data base. Then if it is clear they issue a form that you take to the license / title office or court house and use to register the rig and get a three year provisional title. At the end of three years if no one shows up with an original title to the vehicle and claims it you apply for a regular title. No pain and a small inspection fee that you pay when you register it. The pain is getting the inspection appointment and waiting for you time to go in.

29. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Your sister-inlaw is going to kill ya . So don't worry bout it .