Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Anglia should I buy it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stanislao, Nov 1, 2011.

1. The owner is willing sell the poor thing for $75, including a spare front end. He is currently using it to store his soda and beer cans, the scrap value of which may exceed the cost of the car. Apparently he had intended to turn the car into a three wheeler and had started the modifications.

Known problems,
    The engine is a dead as John Cleese's parrot. Cracked next to the valve seats, welded together, then cracked again.
    The passenger (right) side door hinges sheered off, though the door is now latched somehow.
    Extensive visible rust. Something that looks like rust red lichen.
    Some chrome trim is missing though some unidentified trim is in the car.
    Radiator is not in the grill, however two unidentified radiators are in the trunk, one may looks to be about the right size.

Goals, most important to least.
    1. Learn fabrication and restoration.
    2. Daily driver, >25 mpg, must be reliable, 0-60 in <12 sec
    3. Presentable though not show-winning restoration

The state of the engine does not bother me to much, as merging into highway traffic with 36hp is far too suicidal for my tastes. I am thinking of putting a Pinto engine (I know, post '64 bite me) and drive train into the chassis, apparently this is not a terribly difficult proposition. I would want to relocate the fuel tank and install a roll-cage, I do not want to die in the car if I hit something at 40mph.

Regrettably, I am unable to post pictures of the car at this time, due to a missing security token or some such nonsense.

2. You seem to be intelligent,,,why ask a stupid question?:confused: HRP

3. Toyota's got some pretty cool 4 cylinders would work well

4. What year is it ?

5. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

for 75 bucks? c'mon man!

6. I ask the question because I have no experience in this field, thus intelligence is irrelevant.
    As for the year, I am not entirely sure. The owner says it is a '59, however the instrument panel looks like a picture of a 107E I found. I can tell you that it is a 100E body, which would indicate a '53 to '59.

7. Buy it and flip it!

8. dirtfan50

dirtfan50
    from Kentucky

Buy it ! Lots of people lookin for parts also...

9. Hotrodtoms

Hotrodtoms

Buy it, Build it, I drive mine almost daily!

[​IMG]

10. Really

11. jan bogert

jan bogert

don't be stupid, buy it and put it on your property, someone is going to stop and want it in about 1 week. double or triple your money.

12. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

a friend of mine will give you twice that for the windshield. serious.

13. No don't buy it. Take the money and buy $75.00 worth of beer and keep posting stupid questions on the HAMB. Seriously for $75.00 why even ask us ? Simple answer.

14. Cymro

Cymro

Check out what the British do with these, a more modern four pot, pinto, zetec twin webbers or standard injection from a later model, 5 speed box Sierra Taurus?, Capri struts / disc all virtual bolt ons. Take one light weight + car two litre four pot = good fun, good mpg, not too expensive either.

15. Duh!!!!

Next question.....

16. x2 on Cymro,.. I put a 2lt Pinto motor in a O/T '70 Capri when I was younger,..lots and lots of fun and didnt send me broke. Great motors

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

No pics ,no car.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

geez-you never will learn how to fab and build stuff until you try-yes, buy-forget the 4 cyl and at least go for a V6-you need to redo the whole thing anyway.

19. brandon

brandon

Turbo and a ecotec/5speed

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

i used to go around to drug stors and pick up film and deliver printed photos in the old days. We had a couple of '58 Anglias and got a new '60. OHV, 4 speed and fins. Way to cool. I loved beating on those poor things. Pretty easy to keep running. I would get it if I was you.

21. ditto

22. so there are a number of things that could happen in this sitution. lets focus on two of them.

1. you can regret buying it and then sell for the same or more at that price. then everything in the world is right again.

2. you can regret not buying it. then you go back and its gone. then you kick yourself.

now go buy it then when you get home drink a beer and congradualte yourself on a great purchase.

or you can buy it give to me and write off as a donation on your taxes next year.

23. Looks to be a steal. If you don't want it then turn it for lot's more than asking price..Would make a great quarter mile car.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Crap! I'd sneak in and steal it out from under you if it was closer to me!

25. 26 roadster

26 roadster

good deal, buy it and put in the dry!

26. A quarter mile car with a Pinto engine? That sounds embarrassing. Anyway I just want a daily driver out of it. Also, for all the people suggesting things involving alcohol, I am 18, stop rubbing it in.

27. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Buy it and keep it forever...don't sell it to anyone here they wouldn't appreciate it.:p

28. Rubbing alcohol!?!? :rolleyes:

Remember "You snooze.... You lose"!