Register now to get rid of these ads!

Define custom terms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by salf100, Nov 1, 2011.

1. salf100

salf100

Lets start a new thread that defines all the customs terms out there, such as; chopped, shaved, nosed, decked, channeled etc.

2. thesupersized

thesupersized

quick answers....
    chopped- lowering of the roof
    shaved- removal of something (door handles, antenna, etc)
    nosed- removal of hood ornament or letters, or w/e is on hood.
    decked-removal of emblem or whatever on trunk
    channeled- body is lowered over the frame,( frame raised into the floor)

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Add "Frenched" and that pretty much covers it.

4. rougebeats

rougebeats

" Bagged"= replacing coils/leafs with air ride suspension.

" Dropped/Lowered" = lowering ride height by means of cutting coils/installing shorter coils/removing sections from leaf spring to lower the ride height.

5. fbama73

fbama73

Sectioning= to reduce the height of a body or part. Usually by taking a section out of the middle.

6. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

Fucked; when you add 20 inch wheels.

7. rougebeats

rougebeats

HAHA- that was a good laugh

8. mrforddude

mrforddude

C-notched= modifying the frame to allow for suspension travel when a vehicle has been drasticly lowered from stock height

9. Suicide doors= opening in the reverse direction

10. Tucked= lowereing and having the wheels not sticking out of the fender wells....

11. Ghetto= I think that is obvious

12. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

Frenched- recessing part of the vehicle to be flush with the rest of the sheetmetal around it, i.e. headlights/ tail lights. Not to be confused with tunneling/ sinking.

Tunneling/ sinking- recessing part of the vehicle in a deeper or more drastic fashion than frenching. Most commonly seen with arials and head/tail lights.

Z- also known as kick, kick-up or step- to raise the front or rear portion(s) of a vehicles framerails effectively lowering that vehicles ride height.

Bullnose- creating a raised reveal along the hood. Usually only for a short distance. Metal is either added and blended, or as a chrome, bolt on affair.

Pancake- reducing the height of the opening portion of the hood. Some might note that the hood is either sectioned, or the parting line may be moved upward.

Snowdrift- generally applies to drip rails. The driprail is molded to the body in a fashion that tapers from the door, making a sort of peak instead of a gutter.

Molding/molded- to weld any part of the vehicle to another to become seamless and smooth, i.e. Molded fenders, dash. Also pertains to adding parts from one car to another such as tail lights.

There are plenty more and tons of slang terms for each as well, but I am tired.

13. "Patina" Taking a car like the ones from the "Sitting and Rotting" thread and being proud that you were able to make it worse.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  14. ...Interesting. First time I've ever heard this term used to describe this modification:).

15. Sometimes bumpers also get tucked, moving them in closer to the body.

Roll pan, a piece of sheet metal that replaces and or fills the hole when the bumper should be.

Abortion, very old term from before Roe V Wade. Totally screwed up.

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Real patina is the inimitable quality that comes from years of proper maintenance, not painted-on decomposition ...

17. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

bags-----------what my girl has on her chest....
    Kustom------- its better than custom.....
    Streetrod------overpriced easter egg painted car with crying kid doll
    Pro Street---- -cant come up with a "P-C" version.
    Lowrider-------A style started in the Latino COmmunity....

Updated descriptions to keep people from throwing cards

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  18. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

thats so 2 years ago..it now 30-32's:eek:

19. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Don't forget rounded corners, in the old days no high end custom was complete without radiused corners of the doors, deck, and hood.

20. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

$XXXX invested.= Money you'll never see again.

21. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yeah, I was gonna throw up the word "abortion" for what some on here consider "chopped" (way out of proportion).

22. You are exactly correct. Sonmetimes we forget that when building a custom less is more.

always be closing likes this.
  23. Tin Can

Tin Can

subframed: replacing a portion of the frame of your car with a portion of a frame from another car to get newer suspension

24. Peaked-adding a new bodyline to the hood.

25. Wouldn't that be "IMproper" maintenance?

26. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

No, proper maintenance. Real patina is the quality of having been polished a lot, lately taking care not to polish through into the undercoat; of well-worn leather seats; of interior woodwork with depth to the polish and edges worn smooth where touched. It is the word used to describe the condition of an original unrestored car in a good condition. It is not a mere state of neglect.

The word patina has only been used in the current popular sense for the past ten years or so, and to my mind it's an abuse of the term because it leaves us without a good word for what it has meant all along. (Of course the term originally came from sculpture, to describe the finish of oxidized copper and bronze.)

I'd suggest we borrow the terms weathering and weathered from the model-building fraternity to describe the states of deterioration now associated with patina, whether it is natural or artificial.

27. dad-bud

dad-bud

Ooooh goodie - word games!

Using the definitions above;

Fucked Street Rod with or without Patina - the ultimate douche-mobile...????

I can see this spreading wings - kinda like Red Bull, hey?

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Let's not add caffeine to the mix ... :D

29. You are a fucking arrogant dick. Probably have not traveled much of the world and certainly don't open your mind up much. There is a pretty close connection to lowriders and customs. I suppose I am a "brown" guy as I am big into lowriders. Let's not make this a racial thing. It doesn't matter what skin color you are to enjoy a certain type of vehicle. I have seen plenty of hot rods, customs, lowriders, bobbers, choppers, etc. Owned by all different races, cultures, religions, etc. all around the world.

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

How about "paint terms" to go with custom terms, such as the obvious- "candies", and Winfield fades, lace, paneled, or striped...???

R-