Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Chevy sedan serial number

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FTreadway, Oct 31, 2011.

1. FTreadway

FTreadway

Does anyone know if Chevy stamped serial numbers on the frame back in 1948? I just acquired a '48 business coupe (cheap) and the seller insisted the number was stamped on the frame on the driver's side. I have not been able to locate it. He said he even ran the number thru DMV to make sure it wasn't stolen. I'm thinking he might have been telling me a story. The firewall tag is long gone. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

2. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Just went out and looked at my 48 Aerosedan, I can't find any numbers any where except on the fire wall tag. My peepers ain't so good as they once was, but the car is stripped from the fire wall forward and I didn't find one.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I don't think they started that until around 1955, and then it was on the top of the frame, under the seat, you can't see it easily.

I looked over every inch of the frame in my 39 chevy and found a couple small numbers stamped, but they were definitely not serial numbers.

Sounds like a story, you need to get that stuff squared away before you fork over your $$$$

4. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Yeah I don't think they stamped them on the frame till 55. My 51 doesn't have any stamped on the frame it's self just a little plate riveted inside the door opening.

5. FTreadway

FTreadway

Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like the guy was indeed telling a story!

6. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

serial numbers on 48 chevy is on front door post on right side its a small tag

7. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

The only number you will find on the frame is when it was manufactured. It is on the top rear section above the rear shackle area. The only area that I know of for numbers is the cowl tag. I have woodie wagons (1947,48) so I cannot speak to the door serial number/s. Good luck

8. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

My coupe and my friends sedan had the tag on the front pass. A pillar

9. FTreadway

FTreadway

Thanks again everyone. I bought this car based on a friend's word that the seller was an up front and honest individual. Wrong!! Luckly, I found out from DMV here in FL that I can use the engine serial number for anything prior to 1954.