Register now to get rid of these ads!

What tools do you recommend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by White_Attack, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Once you get those hand tools, figure on the other things you'll need. Always think safety. Get the best jack stands and floor jack you can afford. Get goggles, ear protection and a set of gauntlet gloves if you do grinding, welding or wrenching stubborn nuts and bolts.

Get a big vise. Did I say big? Biggest you can get. Make sure your work bench is built strong enough to take it, and you'll have a bench strong enough to work on for all projects.

Power tools: Start with an air compressor, a 220-volt model with lots of storage and preferably a stationary, vertical model. Oil it and drain water from the tank regularly. Get a grinder. Go back to the first paragraph and read the reminder about goggles. Get a drill press. You can't drill straight enough with a hand drill. Get a hand drill that will take at least a half-inch shank. Get a hand grinder - electric or pneumatic - because you'll need one.

Welders: you can start off with a sputter box, but you would be smarter to save up, buy a Millermatic or equivalent MIG with tank and a couple of rolls of wire (two different sizes). Also, a small acetylene torch set because you need that heat to free up exhaust manifold bolts - no other substitute, I know from experience.

That should get you far enough. You'll know the rest once you get flying.

2. budd

budd

i bought a hardly used mill drill out of a wood working shop for $500, i drill on it all the time and have done many little milling projects as well.

3. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

It also pays to keep an eye out for a repair shop or dealership going out of business. I picked up a Lincoln floor jack, welding table, brake lathe, 40 ton press etc on the cheap a year ago. The hand tools left with the mechanics but shop equipment was a deal. Two trailer loads later I only wished I had bought more.

4. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

I have Craftsman, Snap-on, Matco, Stanley, Proto and SK hand tools. Snap-on, Matco, and Mac are hard to justify pricewise, especially for a hobbiest, (I used to be a pro body and paint dude). No doubts about there quality though. Craftsman good, reasonably priced, good warranty and availability, although watch out all Craftsman are not equal, there is some lower quality stuff out there. Stanley is low cost, bought them at Wallyworld, and not too bad. My preference is SK. I've had mine forever, but harder to find these days. Start with a good set of combo wrenches, 3/8 regular and deep, same with 1/2 and 1/4, a set of GOOD screwdrivers, a bfh, pliers, a set of channellocks, a good worklight, and visegrips. Then, depending on what you want to do, (ie., mechanical, paint and body), and how much $ and space you have, the biggest and best air compressor you can afford, and air tools to go with it! Also, when your ready, a MIG welder, can usually find a Miller or Lincoln on ebay or cl cheap. Almost forgot the most essential tool, a good sound system to have some music going on, or maybe a ballgame. I find that classic rock is good for me when I'm bashing on bodywork, and blues works good for doing paint work!

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

used snap on stuff of ebay. who cares if it has some ones initials etched in it when you pay less the craftsman prices and you can always break it and get a new one.

6. derpr

derpr

I have some stanley sockets for 20 years and haven't broken one yet. I can't say that about some harbor freight stuff.
    Get a good floor jack, bigger the better and jack stands.

7. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

If it has not been mentioned, check out The Garage Journal. There are allot of good tool reviews, and it will give you an idea of what you need starting out. Craftsman is one of the best for anyone on a budget doing this as a hobby, harbor freight has some decent tool boxes available, and northern tool has some good tools and boxes as well. Stay away from the tool truck brands unless you make a living with your tools or are very serious about the hobby and have the money to support the habit as well as a place to meet the truck every week and make your payments.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I mentioned in my earlier post that I like Craftsman tools, and I do, BUT their hand tools today are not the quality they were 20-30-40 years ago. The rachets now have plastic levers to change directions vs steel, and the sockets do not have the same hard, deep chrome they once had. I have some old ones and when I reach in the box I get those out first.

The only other issue I had with Sears was on a floorjack. My Son Dan bought me a $ 300 racing jack for my birthday and immediately it started to settle down under load. I put up with it for a while but after 7 months I took it back, expecting them to do their usual good exchange. NOPE, they wanted a receipt and I told them it was a gift and that my Son does not keep receipts. No dice. I moved up the ladder to the Manager, still no dice. Called Sears Corporate, they offered me 30% off of a new jack ! :mad: I told them I considered it a safety issue, they didn't care. I went on line and checked feedback from people who own the same jack and about 128 people out of 140 said it sucked !

Now we use the jack to fit under our low cars then put another good jack under it to lift it higher.

Don

9. Igosplut

Igosplut

I have a few Snap-On.....

[​IMG]

10. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I would be TICKED! But, since they didn't do anything about it, maybe try resealing it with some higher quality o rings and better hydraulic oil, you might be surprised by the outcome. I don't know how many junky jacks we did this to that worked 110% better when we were done.

11. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

x2 on the Knipex pliers, everyone thinks a good set of channellocks works great until they get a hold of these things, they grip anything.

12. My only advice is to buy the best tools you can afford. I have a mixed set of damn near every conceivable brand. Some I bought, some were literally found, others were willed to me. I have seen no-talent people with tools they couldn't afford or pronounce and still couldn't fix anything, yet others with generic tools can turn out works of art. The lesson here ins't about the brand of the tool, but the skill of the person using it.

Just my two cents.

13. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

as soon as you have room and $ get a large air compressor.@ 60 gal. been working on cars since i was 16 and never had one till @ 4 years ago. dont know how I lived without it!

14. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

X2 what Osage Orange said...

The answer to your question depends on what level you are wanting to get involved.

There are a lot of good opinions/posts on the hand tools.

Cleanup your garage and set it up as much as possible as a mechanic's shop. Setup your garage with a good work bench, 220 power for the air compressor and welder. Vice and grinder are 1st on the list. Also, good floor jack and jack stands.

If you stick with this hobby, craft, etc. you'll be happier if you buy better quality. Stay away from the tools found in the Harbor Freight stores... basically junk, ok if you just want throw-away.

CraigsList is also a great source for about anything your going to need. For instance, you should be able to find some good metal storage cabinets (much better than storage shelves in my opinion).

Make sure you heed all of the advice on safty!

Good Luck!
    X