Register now to get rid of these ads!

Weekend Troubles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Voh

Voh

Had a bit of trouble this weekend with the neighbor. Had the cops called on Friday night @ 7:30 after working on the car for only 15-20 miunutes. My neighbor across the street called the cops complaining of too much noise.

He commented the noise the week after I bought the car and then nothing since then. Mind you this is south texas so we spent the whole summer with (100+ temps) and now it just dropped off in the evenings so the windows have been closed almost the entire time, and were on friday. He also gave me a shit-ton of grief last summer when I built my chopper (he didnt like bikes either).

Cop really didnt say too much, other then stating that there was a complaint filed. Never even asked my name.

Just before the neighbor went back in the house after calling, he told me that I needed to lawyer up, cause he was going to sue my ass. (hes a lawyer and one of those nice ones that makes sure that you know hes a lawyer). I was told by the officer that he has videos of me and the noise.

So that said, I am in need of some help. Need to get in touch with a "Hot Rodder" friendly lawyer here in San Antonio Texas. Im not looking for any "favors", just a lawyer that understands what we do and is interested in helping.

The part that REALLY gets me is the fact that it took my 7-yo girl an hour or so to get calmed down after the police was talking to her daddy. That freaked her out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also know that living in the country would solve most/all of it. Im trying to get out there..

-VOH

2. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

3. Jump the Gun on him & file harassment charges on him! It sucks to have anal up tight neighbors with nothing better to do but worry about what you are doing!

4. Voh

Voh

I know, but I have talked to everyone else. He is the only one that has an issue.

5. Sounds to me like you found a new place to throw that dog shit you pick up in your yard.

6. Tell the lawyer to move out to the country, or out of the country. Seriously, as long as you abide by any noise ordinances, there's not much he can do. Lastly, buy a drum set and start "practicing". He will beg you to work on that hot rod.......

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you don't need a hot-rod friendly lawyer. You just need a lawyer that understands the local laws and can interpret them correctly. If you aren't breaking the law, you need to be able to help the cops understand that. If you are breaking the law, you need to stop. or move.

8. Voh

Voh

funny you mention that. I think that was some of what pissed him off. The wife told him last sunday that there is a leash law in SA and he should get his dog on one.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This is really a tough situation, we want to work on our cars, yet our neighbors are entitled to live quietly in their homes without hammering, cutting, and all that going on.

For a lot of my younger years I was an inconsiderate neighbor. I worked on my cars in the backyard or garage at late hours, made noise and paint fumes, and was lucky to have some very tolerant neighbors. At one home we had the neighbors were older and not so tolerant and they did call the cops at times. Now that I am older I understand why and they were right. Residential neighborhoods are made for living, not for building cars and all the related noise and fumes.

As for your neighbor, I can't see any monetary gain he could seek for damages, all he would probably do is write you a letter asking that you stop what you are doing immediately. He as already done what he can do and has let the cops warn you, so he is just puffing his chest to make the point stronger. Maybe you should go see him and try to work out a compromise. He may not be that bad of a guy when you get to know him. And yes, that dog leash thing probably became tit for tat.

Don

10. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! That's funny I don't care who you are!

Good luck trying to find a lawyer to go against another lawyer.

11. Well yea, I can see why he'd be pissed.

Your wife shouldn't have said that about his wife!

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Doesn't every suit involve a lawyer going up against another lawyer??

13. Voh

Voh

there have been issues with him from the day we moved in. He has issues with everyone. One neighbor didnt paint his house fast enough, the other has rockscape that he dont like, one dosent have bushes out front, the other has too many cars (even though they are all in his driveway)

I am quite certain that he wont compermise at all. I am mostly lookin references for a lawyer that one of may have used before.

14. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

"Good luck trying to find a lawyer to go against another lawyer."

Really? isn't that what lawyers do? go to court against other lawyers?
    Voh, I was looking at homes in SA last week. Looking to move there.
    I will try to make sure I don't end up in your neighborhood. Or better yet why don't you recruit a bunch of car guys and we can out number him.

15. Voh

Voh

That was the FIRST thing Mama said. She wants to have a "Spread the Gospel" BBQ. HOT RODs a must. you know, jus ta little get together so we can all meet each other. Shoot the bull.

Im by no means a dick. Have no interest in pissing people off. Just want to be able to play with my toys.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

He's probably just trying to intimidate you with his diploma.

Like someone else said; make sure to abide by the laws, and you have nothing to worry about. Now go build your hot rod.

17. Voh

Voh

I was pretty sure I was following the law, not stupid hours ar really anything past 9-9:30. Mostly on weekends.

One of my next steps is to get a sound leve measurer out there, see how loud it really is. Other then that, its good. Hell, I have four little ones that have to sleep. If I wasnt pissin off mama, I thougt I would be good.

18. I didn't think I needed to explain but perhaps I do.

I ment as in you, as a plaintiff, hiring a lawyer to go against a defendent who happens to be a lawyer.

That's like getting one cop to go against another cop.... it's just not gonna happin'. Or at least it won't be easy.

19. Document every thing he does, or says to you. Maybe video him? get together other nieghbours and complain about harassment?
    Sounds like this guy is a little uptight.
    I had a nieghbour get upset when i painted my old studio a colour he didn't like. He harassed me for four days. On the fifth day, i introduced him to Black Sabbeth, Motorhead, Megadeath and a few other loud bands for eight hours.
    Never heard a peep from him again.

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It happens more often than you think.

21. Voh

Voh

Im not looking to go after him. Just looking for someone to defend me.

22. Tony

Tony

Sorry for your headaches man.
    I have no meaningful advice to offer, it just never ceases to amaze me what some people will complain about. It's like they have nothing better to do.

Best of luck Voh.

Tony

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You don't need a lawyer because there's no case. Dude..... relax. You said the cop didn't take your name, so I'm assuming there wasn't a ticket given. If that's the case, he's just trying to scare you and doing a bad job at it. With no citation or warning given you're in the clear. Just make sure you don't make a lot of noise after say... 10pm. Sounds like you're doing that anyway.

I had some neighbors (hood rats) who liked to crank up RAP at all hours of the day and all night. Crap bass used to rattle my windows. The way I figure, if I have to increase my TV volume to hear it... it's too loud. So, I called the cops. The cops made them turn it down AND issued a citation. They were even kind enough to give me advise on what to do if it continued.

So, if you didn't get a ticket or anything...... do what you do and be happy.

24. Voh what side of town you on? You in Alamo Heights or Olmos Park by chance? They can be huge a-holes in those areas more so the neighbors than the cops......haha

Sorry to hear bout your neighbors. just make sure your home owners assoc.(if you have one) doesn't have anything about working on vehicles - I had my '59 in my in laws garage for like 3 weeks and they tried to tell her that you can't store non operable vehicles even in your garage per their home owners assoc rules because when the garage is open it makes the neighborhood seem less "appealing" and it runs and drives perfect. Just had to store it while moving. The dude across the street is the biggest prick- we make it a point to take the '59 over to her moms house as much as possible just because of him.

Just move downtown like me- every other house has a pre 1960 vehicle parked in the driveway if not there then in the backyard. And they like when youre outside cause it drives away crime seeing someone out all the time.

My neighbor across the street used to dislike me when we first moved in but then I saw her at the end of the street broken down, fixed her car one weekend now she's my new best friend she told me she didn't mind the cars just the motorcycle at late hours , but late to her is passed 9 so if it's going to be passed 9 I won't take it or give her a heads up. Maybe you're neighbor will be broken down and will have to shake in his boots to come over and ask for help!!! Hahaha
    Best of luck

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  25. bobscogin

bobscogin

Why not go to City Hall and ask for the regulations governing noise and nuisance laws, and any other applicable regulations? If you're in a subdivision with covenants which vary from City ordinances, they should be available from the Homeowners association or developer.

Bob

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds like it's time to have your "annual" neighborhood block party and invite all the neighbors he has hassled over for a potluck barbecue.

On the noise thing is it the noise from working on the car or other project or the noise from the radio/cd player blasting at 110 decibels that he actually hears from his house. I've got a neighbor a quarter mile away who's afternoon/evening band practice will drown out the noise of my air compressor when they do practice. Thumping base goes a long ways though the air.
    My buddy has a loud assed air compressor right in the shop, plays his radio loud to override the radio and sings along with the damned radio. But at least he lives a decent distance from his neighbors.

You might get your wife or a friend to go up the street in a couple of directions and see what they actually hear when you are out in the shop working. You might be able to put the air compressor in an insulated room to quiet it down or turn down the radio a bit so the noise doesn't carry so far. Or not use the air chisel after a certain hour. I found out that my sawzall made a hell of a racket when I helped a young friend cut the wheel openings out bigger on his demo car a few years ago. Guy next door to where we were working said it scared his babies.

27. Voh

Voh

I have asked everyone else to make sure it wasnt an issue. Seems its just him that it bothers.

28. Voh

Voh

thanks for all the info. There were some good tips. Gonna look in to a couple of things this next week.

29. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Now thats some funny shit right there!!!:D

30. This is true!

I've got a P.I.T.A. that lives down the street from me and bitches every time me and my buddy shoot our guns (I live in the sticks). This ass has called everybody he could... the Sheriff... the NYS Police... and the Game Warden. I never got a ticket and the athorities got tired of coming out because I wasn't doing anything illegal.

I'm not telling you to push this asshole's buttons but go out and do your thing. As long as you are not breaking any laws and pay your taxes it is your right to do as you wish on your property.

Maybe with any luck he'll go away just like the moron I delt with.