Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Airport Drags Denison Tx (VIDS)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Oct 30, 2011.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

Just got home and Wow .I have raced on many tracks but this was the first time i have ever raced on an airport runway.Traction was ...well non existant and i couldnt even leave at an idle without spinning all the way through first .Its kinda like drag racing down a gravel road compared to a preped drag strip .After 5 or 6 fishtailing passes ( spinning all the way to 75- 80 mph) i finally gave up on trying to hook up and just had sum fun finishing my slicks off ,since im gunna get new ones over the winter.I shot a few vids while i was there and a freind caught the last part of one of my burnouts.Not too bad for powerbraking on dry pavement (no water box).The Dodge has a fresh coat of under coating on the 1/4's for the winter ,lol.There were sum pretty fast cars running there which was really surprising ,but nearly every body was back pedaling down the track all day .Well heres the vids .I got one of the 409 62 chevy and the 406 Ford going at it .This is an annual "Run What You Brung" type event put on by the KKOA as part of their car show .Its like 7 miles from me and sure beat sitting around the house today...

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      91.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. The Shocker

The Shocker

3. The Shocker

The Shocker

Last vid and it kinda sucks ,but the cars are cool...

4. The Shocker

The Shocker

I lied ,i forgot about this vid.Sorry im a lousy camera man btw ...

5. scrape

scrape

i dont think the 62 chevy really has a 409 in it.... i think it has a 400 smallblock with a small blower...

6. The Shocker

The Shocker

Dont spoil my fantasy Troy :D ,i suspected it having a different motor when i saw the scoop but didnt want to look at it in the pits and confirm it.I didnt realise that David Guyman was driving the Ford till i shot the vid.Is this the car that used to sit behind his shop ? After running down that runway today and skating all over the place,i have a real repect for the oldtimers that used to race down them back in the day before dragstrips were invented :eek: .This is one more thing i can scratch off my "things to do before i die list".Race an 11.30-11.40 second car down a runway ...

7. Lucky3

Lucky3

Cool vids Shocker, I took the ole green truck to their same event in Salina, Ks and did the Airport Drags......thanks for sharing.

8. Damn that looks like fun, shit I didn't even know this was going on..

9. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

What airport runway was this at? In 1970 I was stationed at Perrin AFB mid way between Sherman & Denison TX. Could this be the old base?

10. hackster

hackster

wow i never even knew they were having it ,,,, whens the next one??:cool:

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

It was alot of fun Reed ,especially with a hand start and a guy signaling who won from the stripe .Remindes me of back country road drags from when i was in high school .I didnt go to it the previous two years ,but it seems to be growing from what i was hearing from everyone .The runway was actually pretty smooth considering how old it is ,but woulda been nice to have had a drum of VHT spilled on it though :)...

12. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thats the one.We raced on an old runway on the far west side ,right off the new Hwy 289 ...

13. scrape

scrape

yes caddyman thats the one.. daniel, i think the ford your thinking of was a 60..

14. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Dam that looks like all kind of FUN!!!

15. The Shocker

The Shocker

I dont think it will be till next October even though i wouldnt mind it to be more often since it so close to me.It was nice to just race with no classes ,no awards ,no time clock ,and no Bullshit :)...

16. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Its a great event, I was just shocked that they were letting guys on 4 wheelers make full speed passes with no helmets or other protective gear. Its one thing if some guys want to seirously injure or kill themselves; but thats the kind of ignorant BS that gets events like this shut down for everybody, forever. Come on promoters, what are yall thinking?

17. The Shocker

The Shocker

Ya ,i was amazed at how fast a 4 wheeler can go.Even though no one apparently cared about safety much i still wore my helment and buckled up in the 5 point.It did look a bit scarey to watch those guys with no safety gear ,but i figure its their ass not mine .We all signed a release as at any race ,so i dont know ...

18. scrape

scrape

one of those 4 wheeler had a street bike motor on it.. pretty crazy watching it beat that new vette...

19. The Shocker

The Shocker

I remember the 60 but it seems like he had a 61 or 62 sitting back there years back .Is it his car or was he driving it for someone ? Either way its pretty damn cool looking with the old super stock lettering ...

20. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

The drag racing was pretty cool but I have to give it up for the arm drop guy when the funny car made a pass....That was crazy!!!!

21. kustomd

kustomd

I heard word that next year there wont be anymore motorcycles or 4 wheelers just cars and trucks. But we shall see. I've been to all of them. Its a fun time almost destroyed my rearend last year at the show but luckily it waited untill I was on the way back from dewey oklahoma for it to let go Lol.

22. kustomd

kustomd

Yea jerry is a hamber I figure hes prolly deaf after that thing launched. It made my ears ring for a minute and I wasn't even very close to the car.

23. kustomd

kustomd

Next year my model A coupe will be there I hope. That track was real street racing like I remember where you had to drive the car to win instead of just mashin the gas and holding on.

24. fryguy

fryguy

Damn Crazy Hotrodders. Thanks for sharing, very cool.

25. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

There was plenty of driving going, seperated the men from the boys with some of the cars out there

26. krylonkid

krylonkid

My brother has been friend with David for years. The cars are both period cars, and yes it is a 409 with a blower on it, both cars a owned by Lars from Sweden

27. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thats the truth.My butt puckered many times breaking loose in high gear :eek: .It came down to a traction contest on most matches and who was brave enough to stay in it .Fortunately it was way wider than a regular drag strip or i would hit the gaurd rail several times (if there had been one).It was the most adreneline fun i have had racing in along time :)...

28. krylonkid

krylonkid

I'm glad they flipped the track and ran back toward the south this year. I'll agree that was the best adrenaline rush i've had in years. I did break anything got a flat after i got home, and need a new back tire now.

29. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

Lars' '62 does not have a 409, it's a .030 over 400 small block Chevy, making it a 406. It does have a blower though. It is a cool car, nonetheless !!

We had a good time out there, regardless of having to leave early to take the kiddo to a birthday party. I was hoping to be able to take the '55 out there, but it just wasn't in the cards for this year.

-Aaron

30. The Shocker

The Shocker

That 62 sure didnt run like it had a blown 400 .I wish i woulda took a better look at now .It was still pretty sweet looking racing the Ford ...