Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tuck and Roll Upholstery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Papa Dave, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Papa Dave

Papa Dave

Very close to getting my Nailhead powered '51 Merc Kustom on the road.
    Looking for a shop that does Tuck and Roll ( great work, fair price) in the San Gabriel Valley area of So. Cal. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Papa Dave

2. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

looking to spend $5,000....mexico is where i got mine done and done well for $650.Have never had a problem with it.

3. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

What shop in Mexico.

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

He's not in the San Gabriel Valley,he's in Riverside.Hedoes really good work Kiwi Kustom Upholstery 951-442-1820.He's done work for Barris,Dick & Kieth Dean and for Limeworks.

5. ronstowe

ronstowe

Hi Neighbor Dave

I'm building a '56 Chevy. I am having Ciadella Interiors in Tempe Arizona do mine. I didn't realize but they do custom work. Fair prices and good people to work with. I did Naugahyde because thats what they had when I was growing up and I wanted to replicate a TJ job. The custom work was not that much more than their reproduction stuff. The whole car including the headliner carpeting and fully upholstered trunk was $3500. They quoted another $1700 to install it but I will have it done locally. tuck and roll is cool. Can't wait to install it I found in talking with them they only have patterns to do Chevys. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. cruzace

cruzace
    from tustin

It's not in San Gabriel Valley, but it's worth the drive.

Wesminster Auto Upholstery in Anahiem CA

Hands down, incredible interiors.

Ask for Pete

(714) 632-5050

7. lawman

lawman

Nice looking ride !!! Tom (tired Old Man)

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

There is a thread on T.J. upholstery we did a while back. Depending on what quality you are after. I'm happy with my $850 job. It's not show quality like they promise. I'm sure if you dicker with them (tell them your going to shop around) you can get it even cheaper. If you just have a driver and want to have it done in a day do T.J. If you have the extra money and time I'm sure you can get a better job in the states.

Attached Files:

9. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Here are a couple of my 55 the day I drug it out of a field and brought her home. I was very dirty and cleaned up well. I was told this car was brought to the Corpus area from the Rio Grande Valley which suggests that the upholstery was possibly done in Mexico. I remember back in the 60s and 70s, Mexico was the place to go if you wanted upholstery done good and cheap. That has changed now-a-days.

Attached Files:

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Don't you need to wear a bullet proof vest and carry a gun to go to TJ? Or is that just a mith?

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just watch out they don't put horse shit in the tuck and roll.

12. 21tat

21tat

Just throwin' in my two cents here. If you spend your money here in America, it will help support a local business. It's good for your community!

13. moter

moter

x2!!!!!

14. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

LoL. What movie was that from? I can't recall the name of it right now. :)

15. sixbangr

sixbangr

Losin' it , with Shelley Long

16. aircoup

aircoup

Hey steel rebel how long ago was that?

17. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Bingo! Thanks. :)

18. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

i was working in spring valley san diego the other day. there was a guy with a 46 chevy. i talked with him and he does upholstery. he quoted me $2500 to do a 51chevy. thats for everything. so you don't have to spend a shit load. drive around and talk with the owners.

19. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I also had Ciadellas do my 55 Chevy i went with the stock del ray package.very nice peopel to work with

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Urban myth.

Don't think a few guys going to T.J. for an adventure in upholstery is going to make or break any good American business.

I had it done there first in '65 on a 58 Ford I had it cost $100 then. This time on the '48 Plymouth in '05 for $800 and I'm sure if I dickered a little I could have saved a few bucks but I had brought $1,000. Like I said if you want a really good job and have a few thousand to spend Have it done in the states but if what you see on my car is good enough and you only want to spend a few hundred go south of the border. And really thousands of Americans visit T.J. daily and how many do you hear of getting shot. Your probably safer there than any in any major American city.
    Or maybe you just want to hide in your closet all your life. I like to go on an adventure now and then.

21. HRod 50

HRod 50

These guys are awesome, and super super reasonable..

Nick Alexander Restoration
    2523 E. Slauson Ave.
    323 582-7441

Shit I can't remember my guys name, but there are only 2 guys there. They're Mexican guys.Tell them, the guy with the burgundy Merc seats sent you.. For my interior, doors, 2 buckets, back seat, trunk, and floor Lets just say less than 2K, for a headliner an additonl $500..

Good Luck

Check out my pic.. My car is not done so I can't show you what it looks like in the car.. I will tell you when I was there, he had an original 1950 Merc Convertible, 1964 Impala, 1955 Chevy truck, and a 1930 Ford, so some people know what he's capable of. All original cars with period correct interiors.. Looked very sharp. Ohh and he does convertible tops.. These are the guys you dream of, very talented old school young guys, who work in a neighborhood with low overhead, lots of skill, and a huge savings to us..

Attached Files:

22. Papa Dave

Papa Dave

Thanks for all your responses...A trip to TJ is not in the cards even though I do speak Spanish. I found a shop close to me called Califas Upholstery in Monrovia Ca....as of now he looks like the best candidate.

23. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

Back in '76, a pal raced south to T.J. (Tijuana) to 'ave his done, and it was...cheaply. Two weeks later he was taking a box cutter to 'em... searching and swearing...looking for what he eventually located: A DEAD DOG.
    I was always persuaded NOT to do my drinking, eating, or "chasing" in Mex-ico. That day, I added auto work to my list.

24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

^^^ Weve been through this before...Lotsa wives tales but no one who has actually had there own personal stuff stuffed with shit, dead dogs, hypodermic needles, dead whores etc... Why would they take the time to stuff a dead dog in a paying customers seats ? If the job is done correctly they would probably have a paying customer for life rather than another guy saying " dont go to TJ, theyll stuff shit in your seats" Just doesnt make any sense whatsoever! Im calling BS!

25. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

CALIFAS IS indeed a good place...and that near-by dive, for there GREAT chili and cold beer. And ya get 20 percent off for telling 'em your hooptie is at "CAL's"! WIN-WIN!

26. moparmike

moparmike
    from Austin, Tx

I call bullshit on that one. They are not gonna waste a perfectly good dead dog.

27. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

I've located one who has an explanation for any obtuse and illogical happenstance, emanating from south of the border! You would have us believe that muggings, & killings of "gringo's" are wild imagines, too? ("But(t), why would they do such? Don't they realize they're cutting off a future source of $?) Stop being so bloody naive, youngster!

28. ring reckers cc.

ring reckers cc.

kiwi doesnt have a web page?? im trying to find them for my 50 ford....

29. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Ya beat me to it LOL :D

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

True roll and tuck, or tuck and roll, has no visible stitching unless you force the rolls apart to inspect it.
    If you see the stitching running top to bottom in the seam it is a top-stitch NOT roll and tuck.