Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please give me history about Green Valley Raceway in Amarillo, TX.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Dart Man

Dart Man

Larry T: Regarding Richard Lancaster and his Anglia...
    Hard core racer is correct. No one messed with Richard. Now a Green Valley story... Occasionally, i would work on the crash crew at the top of the hill. On numerous occasions, after Richard made a run and turned off onto the return road, he would be drinking a Budweiser! Just WHERE was that can during the run?? We surmised that it was in some sort of 'free-floating' device to keep it from spilling. I mean, this was a 4 speed wheelstanding Anglia! (Of course we never asked him...probably for fear of him beating our asses!).
    BTW...the car was red back in those days.
    Dart Man

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. Larry T

Larry T

Dart Man,
    It didn't have a drink holder in it when I got it. :)

When I talked to him he said the red car was in partnership with Snider, he sold his half to them when he got married. A few years later he built the car I have now. You can definately see the resemblance in the two. The way he talked it was always black with the lace/cobweb/fogged paint. He said his painter laid all of the custom work on in one night.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

3. Boodlum

Boodlum

Pic of the bridge and starting area reminds me of how Mustang Creek got its name. The road race course had a sharp left turn from the starting area onto the dragstrip straightaway. The bridge was right at that turn. On the very first race outing of Carroll Shelby's GT350 Mustangs, Jerry Titus (think it was Titus) went off the course and stuck the number 5 GT350 in the creek. Hence Mustang Creek.

BTW I raced at both Green Valley and LaPlace in the late 1960's.

Bood

4. Dart Man your correct - and after - Vance cut up the car/rail and disposed of it....oh - that Bob Taylor as well as Vance - you just never met nicer guys...guess until they suited up....

5. Too Old

Too Old
    from Texas

Back in it's hayday Green Valley was in a town called Smithfield. One of the big dogs from that time Bobby Langley passed away last week. Just last month he was at the nationals at the Motorplex driving his beloved Scorpion in the cackel fest, glad I got to see him one last time, he was a great one.

6. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

7. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

8. My father-in-law raced at Green Valley in the mid 60`s. He worked at the GM plant in Arlington. He passed a few years ago but I have heard him mention names like Vance Hunt and Gene Snow.
    We have a lot of reel to reel film shot at GV during this time. I wonder if it can be converted to DVD ?

9. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

They used to have Sports Car races at Green valley too. I remember one time in the mid 60's seeing some guy in a Mini-Cooper lap four 427 Corvettes during a race. Never forgot that one.

10. AmarilloDragway

AmarilloDragway

Hi guys. My name is Steven Lamberson the manager of the new Amarillo Dragway. My Dad and 2 of his buddys bought the track in Feb of last year. We have been working real hard to get it back to what it once was. We are turning the bottom of the timing tower in to a small museum. We would love to have copyies of any of your pics. We have a lot of neat stuff. I would love to see some pics form the late 70s and early 80s thats when my Dad started and I was running around the pits in diapers. We would love to see you guys out there. We are looking to put together a nostalgia race at some point. Thanks Guys

11. GonzoSS

GonzoSS

Yes it can be turned into dvd or digital format! How much of it do you have?

12. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

In 1965 my btother ran a 442 in the E Pure stock class at Amarillo Dragway. As a kid it was great then--I remember the traveling funny cars would always show at the Der Weinersnitzel. I had a friend who's dad was Dale Ham--one of the first NHRA division directors lived in Amarillo--he got us in free all the time. When it was a NHRA track everyone was here--Big Daddy--Little red wagon--oh the 60's were good.

13. James Curl

James Curl

In the 60's we raced Enduro Go Karts on the track once a month. They had a 2 mile sports car track using the entire straight of the drag strip and the staging area then around the back side through some corners then up the return road and around a tight 180 back on to the straightway. The had the GKCA Nationals there two years in a row where Karters fron all over the USA came to compete. I used to inspect Airports for safety when I still worked and every time I went to Keller or South Lake I would go drive down to the gate and look at the cows and remember the good times I had there.

14. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Is this the same Green Valley Race Way in fort Worth? trying to find info on this 40willys sedan that was raced there in the 60s it was red or green, heres a few pics car was in texas then florida.

Attached Files:

15. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Grew up in Dallas/Fort Worth, Remember the ads SUNDAY!.. Sunday!.. Sunday! Green Valley Raceway!!! Went there a few time but could not help on you search.

Fun times back then.

Mike

16. Larry T

Larry T

Richard Lancaster in the 60's at Green Valley.

[​IMG]