Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 Mild Custom T Bird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Gomez, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Finally got my 60 mild custom T Bird back on the road after 14 months, started taking it apart last fall for paint and things got out of hand. Pulling the front bumper and noticed bushings failing on the A frames so I rebuilt the front end and steering, might as well do the brakes and shocks too. Pulled the engine to paint the engine compartment and a friend offered me a 390, better than the 352 so rebuilt the new motor. Pulled the doors to paint the jambs, had some bad glass so all new glass except the rear window, of course that requires all new felt and rubber for the whole car. So much for a simple paint job.
    Well maybe the next project will follow the plan a little better, 30 Sport Coupe already mocked up with an 8BA flathead, 39 trans, 51 pickup steering, ready to tear down, paint and detail.
    Added new pictures with the chrome reverse and narrow whites. Most people seem to like the chrome wheels best, still not sure about the skirts but they go with the look.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

There maybe a starting place and a goal, but there is seldom a stopping place.
    Comes a time you just have to quit.

Bird looks good.

3. These squarebirds are awesome, just got one a month ago, going to be a long term project, can't wait.

4. Thumper

Thumper

I gotta tell ya.........I've always liked those squarebirds.......but yours just kicks my ass....:D:D

5. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Squarebirds are great, have you added sequencial turn signals for the 3 rear lights?

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

No sequencial turn signals, just converted the two inner lights from backup to taillights

7. That's a great-looking 'Bird! Love the wheel choice. :)

8. nice squarebird, im going to do the same thing with my tailights (not tryin to copy yours) i bought the extra tailights to do it right after i bought my bird a couple years ago im also going to put blue dots in the inner lens' where the back-ups were

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Great ride but screams wide whites

10. caddy6d

caddy6d

Nice color . Is it a midnight blue pearl ?

11. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

Cool bird, how much did the door glass set you back? Just picked up a 60 as well and the driver window is cracked.

12. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Flat glass is cheap, around $300 for all the flat glass but I took the windows out of the car and re-installed them. The Windshield was $575 and I installed it too.

13. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

We have a different definition of cheap then....door glass for my shoebox was $50, for the TBird the cheapest I've seen is $119. Yikes.

14. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I took my windows to a local glass shop, I didn't think that was bad for all the side glass, mine is a factory air car and has tinted glass. Thunderbird Headquaters has the door glass for $67.50 but you have to install it in the frame yourself, the local shop looked easier to me, I would have broken something putting the glass in the frames.

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very impressive!
    I like it.....Great job.
    Cheers..

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Your T-bird is damn slick !

17. Reminds me of the Elvira bird! Very cool indeed!

18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Great looking 'Bird ! My first car was a '58 HdTp. (See my Albums for a couple of pix).

Cool cars to Cruise in !! Bring it to Salina next July !!!

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  19. On chrome reverse.

20. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have a set of chrome smoothies with 1" narrow whites and fender skirts to give it the 60s mild custom look, will change wheels next week and post pictures that way.

21. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

Thanks for the heads up about thunderbird headquarters!