Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Joe and I will be there. Probably spend most of the day in the stands. I don't have a lot of walking in me right now. The back surgery rerally kicked my ass.

2. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I thought I remembered that correctly.
    Anybody know about Headrick & Perry, where they out of Ga. or was it Ala. somewhere?
    Tom S.

3. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Toby, I wish I hadn't seen this. That brief glimpse of Tanners Dart is too much. A glimpse and it's gone. I think he had a wedge Dart that came to Nashville in later years if I'm not mistaken, or could have been another Lennox sponsored car out of that region perhaps.
    The black Anglia in the right lane against the Burns Ford Mustang, I know I recognize darn it. I wish I could recall.
    Thanx for posting this, even if it drives me over the edge trying to recall. Tom S.

4. brandon

brandon

The black anglia wasn't owned by a guy named dave was it....possibly had a speed shop near knoxville?

5. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Just got back. Sorry your back isn't better. Just had knee surgery myself 6 weeks ago. Man I looked for the 15oz coupe and couldn't find it. Took some pictures and had a great time, sorry I missed you and Joe. Take care......

6. axe grinder

axe grinder

7. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

Window down, air in your hair, bangin' 4 gears And haulin azz!

8. chinbeard

chinbeard
    from Hull UK

9. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Heres a cool take of Color Me Gone

Attached Files:

10. Here's something a little unusual for the deuce 5 window fans ............

[​IMG]

11. WCD

WCD

This car is featured on the Jackson Bros. Gasser Files CD. Seeing it here in B&W is cool, but in color, metal flake orange ablaze, as it makes an 8 second pass is really cool. Don Montgomery's Supercharged gasser book states that the car was 392 powered if I recall correctly. The car was a UDRA regular

12. That is one bad ass coupe. From the days when individual thinking still prevailed in racing. I'd much rather watch that 5 window run 8 seconds than todays carbon fibre blobs run 4 seconds.

13. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I agree!

Marty
    Marysville, OH

14. Me too!

15. Bunny Burkett in the Dick Blankenship Mustang.
    She is such a great person. Back when she would run alky fc at the NHRA National events, she'd have a line of fans waiting to speak with her, get pics or buy stuff, as long as John Force!
    One of a kind.

16. Dawn

Dawn

Steve Crook in his supercharged '56 Chevy during the Gasser Nationals this past summer at Marion County International Raceway.

17. noboD

noboD

The black and gold '55 is excellantly wicked. Any more pics of it?

18. Pasta

Pasta

Jeff,
    The PID pictures are awesome. You guys had some really nice cars out that way back in the day.
    I love the winter racing shots with snow on the ground. CT would never do something like that! LOL
    Do you know what happened with that 68 Chevelle that flipped?
    Thanks a LOT for posting all of that. I saved a bunch of them.

George

19. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

....... and I can concur with you Dean.
    In retrospect, I wish I could have had enough wits about me to have invested a few hundred in a camera and film instead of carbs and chrome.
    I don't know who Bill Truby is, but I'd like to meet him if possible. He was some kind of a visionary with the snapshots he captured in time. Luzaders coup, Arnie Behling buzzing the mag on Schartmans funny car, the guys standing for a drivers meeting in the tower......... these are representative of my ever fading recollections, but, this guy has B&W and Kodachrome reality to share in the hear and now !!
    They might not be from the south, but these shots are simply surreal Jeff K. My hats off to you for sharing....... !
    Tom S.

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

21. richie rebel

richie rebel

i was there racing the day it opened may 1964

22. rick finch

rick finch

.....can't believe we used to do this as standard practice.

[​IMG]

23. rick finch

rick finch

24. rick finch

rick finch

25. rick finch

rick finch

R.I.P. Roger & James....:(

[​IMG]

26. rick finch

rick finch

27. WCD

WCD

Partner Dubach's son was Doug Dubach was an accomplished factory moto-cross champion.

28. WCD

WCD

This was my favorite fuel coupe of all time. Beauty and speed; Love the stance. Glenn Way was the owner/driver.

29. WCD

WCD

Your right, it was a dangerous tactic. In fact at either the 70 or 71 Winternationals, there was the owner of an injected gas altered who was warming his car in the very same fashion. It came off the jack and ran over a female spectator, resulting in fatal injuries.

30. Big thanks to Jeff K!!!