Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox buying guide.. guru's needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EBW, Oct 28, 2011.

1. EBW

EBW

Hello all...

I am currently diving into my first American vintage project. I have my eyes set on a 51 Shoebox. It is complete ( according to the owner ) but hasn't ran for some time. I am going off an internet sale, ( I have yet to see the car in person ) and trying to do my homework to get as much information before the transaction as possible.

I searched, but could not find a Buyer's guide or info on what to look for and what issues there are with these vehicles. IE: Certain areas to look for rust, or, look for damage here.. that type of stuff. I know with vws, there are a bunch of things you need to look at with each model.

If there is a thread, I apologize now and if someone could re-direct me, I would appreciate it. If not, what do you Shoebox owners think would be key items on a purchase.

I have been spending more time on the HAMB reading then working recently, and I read some posts stating the 51 may be harder to find parts for.. is this true ??

2. hupster

hupster
    from california

it all depends on body style and condition. Same with finding parts. a good info source is Shoeboxford.com. Here's a link:

http://www.shoeboxford.com/

3. EBW

EBW

Thank You Hupster...

Guess I will be spending my morning coffee break and lunch over there also... :cool:

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

Typical rust on shoebox fords...

1. The rockers, almost all need new rockers
    2. Quarters above rear wheel, design held dirt/water
    3. Trunk floor, especially spare tire wheel well
    4. Front floor boards

Rich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

5. EBW

EBW

Thank you Rich !! That is what I am looking for.

6. thesupersized

thesupersized

other common rot spots are lower front fenders, and where the front leaf spring mounts on the frame, rot out on more rusty cars...

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm kinda confused about the "front leaf spring" part. Another area is between the headlight bucket, the hood and the grille surround.

8. EBW

EBW

Great info.. Thank you...
    keep them coming !!

9. smarg

smarg

If its a California car throw the rust speeches out the window.

10. Parts are not that hard to find and there are several companies that reproduce parts for these cars. The best person to ask about these cars is Chris at Shoeboxford.com. He has forgotten more about them than most learn in a lifetime and in the off chance that he might not know something Ray (shoeboxford.com founder) has been working on them since Henry first sold them.

Another thing to remember is that though a lot of places will sell you parts, Chris will talk you through any problem you may encounter.

Larry
    Forum moderator - Shoeboxford.com

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Few spots more that will rust:

- Floor bracing
    - Lower cowl area
    - Front fenders,near rockers

12. worn shoes

worn shoes

I have a 51 ford and have never had any problems locating parts. Just take your time looking it over and ask as many questions as possible to the buyer. Remember its a 60 year old car and they all have some type of issues. The most important thing to me would be the frame. Look to see if its been cut in any way or try to see if it has rust trough or even creases from maybe an accident. Good luck!

13. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Have a read through the shoebox build threads and you will quickly see whats involved. If you can, go and look at the car you intend to buy as photos can be deceptive. Pretty much the complete lower 6 inches of the body has rust potential with the major work (as stated above) being the inner and outer rockers along with the floors. This is usually accompanied by the lower door post area. Without labour, you should budget around $1500 to buy replacement OEM style repair panels. Chris at SBF.com is an excellent source for these parts. Ask the vendor for pics of the rockers with the doors open and post them up and we can probably give a good indication. It is also worth remembering that the positive side of buying an unrepaired car is that you know exactly what you are getting and you can do the repairs to a standard that suits you.
    Andy.

14. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Well obviously the leaf springs are in the rear..Front leaf spring being where the FRONT of the leaf spring mounts to the frame..Actually pretty common to rot out there..

15. Shoeboxes are very very popular ever since they where born. The best part is they are very affordable considering the demand and poularity. Probably the coolest build for the money. A blank canvas from mild to wild.Simple car to work on to except the front sheetmetal is a pain to dial in gaps.

16. hupster

hupster
    from california

Not necessarily so. My 51 wagon is a California car and I had to replace inner and outer rockers and the floor from the rear seat are to the toe boards. I also parted-out a 49 2-dr and a 50 4-dr to get parts for the wagon. Both of those California cars would have needed similar repairs. I believe the undercoating that was so generously applied to the shoeboxes tended to separate a bit and hold the moisture and promote rust.

Attached Files:

17. EBW

EBW

Thanks for all the responses !! This is great info. Getting more excited about this vehicle.

I will ask questions about the rockers and get some extra pics.
    If all goes well, I will be heading up 2 weekends from now, so fingers crossed.

Thanks again everyone !!

And I will be talking with the SBF folks too !!

18. I know its been said but, definitely look out for rust on the rocker panels and floors. Make sure you check ALL the floor boards. Also, i've never had any issues with finding parts for my '50. Usually Shoeboxford.com, macs, or even ebay will have what you need. Any way you can post the link of the car you're checking out? Good luck to you as well!

19. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

As everyone else said, shoeboxford.com shoeboxford.com shoeboxford.com. Then try Dennis Carpenter or Macs for parts if shoeboxford doesn't have them.

20. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Don't forget C&G ford in Escondido , so cal, they have treated me right and I have never had a problem. There knowledge Of old fords and especially shoeboxes is invaluable

21. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

Also check the hood,rear tail pan and lower A arms for rust..

22. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

body mounts down both sides.Looked at a 49 for sale not to long ago hell nothin was holding the body to the frame cept the very front and the rear kick up.Not that hard to redo but food for thought

23. Brickster

Brickster

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hope that will you get to look at this car in person before you buy it

25. EBW

EBW

Thanks for all the input.. This will help immensely !! I am doing my homework !!

If all goes well, I will be driving to the seller's area and be able to look this car over, under, and all around.
    The only issue is that it's a bit of a drive, and I will have both "cash in hand" and a trailer in tow. I am hoping the car's condition is close to what the seller is stating, and if not, I don't get the Buyer's curse. ( buying something you know will kick you in the butt later )

I will update as the weekend gets closer.

Of course, if I get it, I will start a new build thread, yet another Shoebox one... haha !!! :cool:

26. No Plan

No Plan

I have read this thread and I am looking at a 50 coupe that needs most all of the patch panels for the areas of common rust out. (lower quarters,inner & outer rockers, at least front floors & toe boards, & lower front door post repair, front fender dog legs , maybe trunk floor) I have no pictures of this car, but am wondering if it is worth the $1500 he is wanting for it. He sez that's as low as he will go, it was $2500. There are not many 49-51 tudors,coupes or sedans in my area that I know of. It has an old 302 auto cobbled in, engine supposed to run,but car isn't driveable. No interior in it. Looks like most all chrome is there,but not on it. Car has been inside for 23 years that he has had it. Is this an outragious price for this 50? I am trying hard NOT to buy it, but I am weakening!!!!

27. I payed 1200 for my coupe. Usual rusted out areas but the tubs and 1/4's where descent. no rust out in the tubs. Click on my link below to see what i got for 12 hun. I'm happy thou.

28. EBW

EBW

Thanks again for all the input.. Been reading up on here and SBF like a mad man !! Even subscribed to a bunch of your builds.

Its looking like this upcoming weekend I will be heading out to see it. I will keep this thread updated... ROADTRIP !!

29. EBW

EBW

A big thanks to all of you, I looked the car over with special attention to all the places that were mentioned. It helped me get an idea of what this project will need and what I am up against.

I will start a new thread of the build. But for now here she is....
    51 Shoebox Custom. Can anyone tell me what the Difference is on the Custom part ?? Is it just more Chrome accessories ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  30. chop32

chop32

Something else to look into...
    When I got my '49 Coupe, the backs of the doors sagged about 1/4"...
    I figured it was just the hinges, but they had little to no up and down slop.
    My front floor boards were rusted out in the area of the body to frame mounts and this allowed the cowl to lean back slightly, dropping the back of the doors.
    My old time bodyman friend came over and did some creative porta-power work and got the doors to align and I took care of the floor/mount replacement.
    10 years on the road with no more sagging doors!