Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lettering the Koopmeiners & Sons 55 chevy gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ADV1

ADV1
    from Gretna, NE

Very Awesome! I'm just getting started and stuff like this gives me encouragement to keep moving forward!

Just curious... did you brush the black on for the cross & Eyes of the skull or did you tape everything off and shoot it?

also, how did you blend the two colors together into the eyes?

2. Sage

Sage

It turns out that there's no need to clear 23k gold if you gild some 3D Masonic emblems 2 stories up from a swing stage. On the other hand, that's probably the only time I didn't clear leafing.

Nice work Von...as others have said, it's nice to see someone young (at least, younger than us) out there keeping the brush alive. I've been lucky enough to have made my living with 1-Shot since '69. You've clearly got the talent. Now you just need others to see it as well.

3. Impressive work Ryan! Your analytical approach, your skillful dedication to accepted methods and the quality of your craftsmanship will serve you well in the years to come.

I remember meeting you at Tudor Jeff's first "HAMB-On-The-Rocks" gathering a couple of years ago and hope our paths cross again soon. I'd enjoy talking "signs" with you.

Couple of questions.... did you consider making a pounce pattern rather than drawing the letters out twice? Did you burnish the copper leaf before the clear coat? Also, Wehrung & Billmeier white gold looks very close to silver leaf and won't tarnish.

Thanks for taking the time to "walk" us through the job.

4. Butch M

Butch M

Great job .........

5. [​IMG]

Ryan And Eric
    [​IMG]

Eric & I
    [​IMG]

6. Clik

Clik

James Taylor went bald.

Just tell 'em Jesus. He was pre 64.

Nice work Von Hartman.

7. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Why not run around on the streets with the way it is.:confused: I have had some pretty nasty pro-street cars back in the 90s and ran everything from a Hemi Crash Box trans,every steep gear you can imagine and a 14 to1 piston small block,chutes,wheelie bars,ect,ect....I LIKE IT NASTY(real men style!;)).Now i got Altered Wheel Base and Straight Axle car fever......you better believe it will have some 'ole school lettering(Joes's Speed & Custom) and a super nasty power plant!!!!:D

8. Stunning! New wheels look great too!

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great shots of the re-do. Great job. Super looking car!!! Thanks for sharing.

10. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Hell yes! I would love to. Are you working on another project? Something along the same lines as the Austin?

11. munciemike

munciemike
    from WI

All I can say is outstanding!

12. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I'd just like to point out that the response from all of you has far exceeded anything I had hoped for. Thank you all for the encouragement.

ADV1,
    It is all brushed on, skull and cross. I just do my best to get the paint to lay evenly so the brush strokes flatten out and don't show as much. For the yellow in the skull, that is brushed also, but in a way that contours the shape of the skull so that the brush strokes create subtle shapes, lines, and depth to the paint without adding more colors. Doing this also helps to indicate to me where the black details go. The Entire skull is done in only yellow, black, and ivory. I created the blending by using stippling (dots)

13. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Haha!

14. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Much appreciated! I had a great time talking with you also.

I've been told about the pounce wheel method. I have never done it before and I don't have the tools. The way I laid it out accomplished the same thing. I create 1 design and make a template from it for transferring it to the car. It's nothing special, requires no fancy tools, and is nothing to brag about. I'd explain, but I'm going to be vague on this one and pretend like it is my 1 little secret;) at least for now.

15. You see, now this is what I think is the reason that some people object to computer cut vinyl lettering. There are no secrets about it! I've never heard anyone say, "Wow! That computer cut vinyl looks just like everyone else's. How did you learn to do that? And can you teach me?" They already know that you just type it in, drag it around a bit, send it to the plotter and out comes vinyl lettereing. :rolleyes: Right or wrong, they just assume it's a no-brainer so nobody asks for any secrets or tips.

And now, I'd like to borrow a quote from somebody;

"Looks pretty good for pushing paint around with dead squirrel parts tied to the end of a stick!"

And if you do ever want to share any of your secrets, I'm here for you. I promise they won't go beyond me. ;)

16. What did it run ?

17. Not sure cause every time I ran Eric he red lighted.

18. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

all steel car.....60's camshaft, and alot of other 60's technology....and I was never mad at it...meaning I just ran it without beating it to death.....11.7.
    If I lauched harder, and wound it higher I could probably squeeze 11.3-4 out of it....
    But who really cares....only a vintage race car anyway....lol

19. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

BTW....in Fugitives racing it is first one to the end wins..I don't know why your crying.....no red lights with a flag man...

20. Glad to see the stickers gone... and may I add to all the other compliments on a job very well done!

21. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

When I built the car I didnt know Ryan...and I was not about to have some half assed lettering on it...LOL.....beleive it or not to find any skull to make the decal was really hard....most are cartoon....I agree glad to have it tatooed on!!

22. Luke S.

Luke S.
    from Ocala, Fl.

23. Nothing wrong with that.

24. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Von Hartman, You have earned the right to wear the honorary third eyeball!
    Beautiful work as usuall. Now if we can only get you to wear the 'Hollywood" haircut.