Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Traditional" rods and kustoms???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fifty5C-Gas, May 26, 2005.

1. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Dude, that rocks, but a bit scary at the same time. Looks like you and your buddys got some bettin to do if your anything like me. We had one we caught at a buddys house in lakeside, I killed everything we put it up against, black widows, bees, wasp's, even one of those crazy terantula(sp?) wasp we got in cali. The thing that finally killed it was a recluse that we found in our neighbors tool shed. That sucker duked it out on a daily basis for two months though.

Drew

2. I think wre just seeing too many fiberglass sbc 34 fords and the like at all the shows. They get boring after awhile, I know I dont even look at them any more unless they have something unusual showing. Those 15,000 dollar paint jobs are a dime a dozen.

Saw a cool 32 coupe running an olds, talked to the owner told him I hadn't seen it around before. He said he was always embarrassed to bring it to shows because it had 23 year old primer/rust. blanket seat covers etc. Always parked on the street, then started noticing all the people looking it over, decided to show it. It drew a big crowd, he did everything himself, I think people respect that. I've gotten to a point I it's all I look at.

3. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

If they drove primered cars back in the 50's and called it a done car, I dont know I didnt live back then, but if they did im sure its not nearlly as common as today where 60/70? percent of all the hot rod and kustoms are just prime and the weapon of choice is a rattle can. Some of these people you can ask them and say their finished with the car and its no where close.

4. ShortBus

ShortBus

I find it ironic that JimA can be 'out' on the HAMB and you guys think he's kidding.

5. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

im sorry but i dont buy that, "money is an issue" bullshit, i have none, and my car is painted....im sure people with cars know someone who can paint, or a friend of a friend can paint, and im not even talkin about bodyshop type work.....if people like their cars in primer, thats fine, but primer dosent equal traditional...its not even the people on this board im talking about spacifically, its the general conseption of a traditional car.

6. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Ditto!

7. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Ok...I have a great idea. Lets all just meet somewhere, beat the hell outta each other and then go back to working on our old cars.
    Just an idea....

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm too old to fight, can I be the ring announcer?

9. I'm taking this post in a different direction :)

10. I can remember when the big backlash against painted cars began...

Like the Eastwood and Barakat Special. That '34 that was on the Magnum Axle Catalog... Over cammed and under finished". Robert William's Roadster. And although it was actually painted (with a brush) Jim Jacob's tub was a rebellion against the paint with it's "may as well have been primer" paint job.

The magazines treated them like a fresh idea too... and it was all done in the name of "fun".

So (maybe directed to the primer haters) why isn't it "fun" anymore?

I'd wager that people's reason's for building their cars in the first place are at the root of your views on pimer/paint.

There's a backlash on labels... but consider this:

"The Builder"- is a guy who is haunted by the details of his builds... he either paints his cars with near perfect results... or runs them in primer, because he can't ever seem to find the time, or the money to have, or paint his car with a paint job that is of the quality that he would like it to be. Builders also have non-perfect painted cars sometimes... but they are quick to point out the flaws in their paint jobs... unless they were the one to paint it. :D

"The Rebel"- Is a guy who always wants to do the OPPOSITE of what the majority of guys are doing... Guys like this usually want to be different, but in their quest to be different, they are the same as everyone else wanting to be different.

"The Whiner"- Is a guy who is a trend follower. Whiners seem to always catch the tail end of trends... and WHINE when they don't get the recognition, or the reaction that the trend setters got for their efforts. A Whiner is a tail-end Rebel... Whiners cars used to be painted with the latest trendy jobs... Panel paint jobs, root beer brown flake, scallops, graphics, monochromatic pastels were just a few of the trends. But today, PRIMER is the trend being followed, and in due time... it will become passe.

"The Trendsetter"- Trendsetters are the guys who have the balls to be the first to dig up and build a car in a style from a by-gone era. If you're building a 40's or 50's car right now... you're not a trendsetter. 20 years ago, you would have been a trendsetter.... today, no. If you were to build a 70's era Buttera influenced '27 T... today... with wire wheels... and "pull it off" with a modern twist of sorts... you'd be a trendsetter. Or, if you were to build a car with 40';s or 50's influence, but it had a stance, or style that was so wicked and neat that 50 people copied you over the next two years... you;d be a trendsetter. Trendsetters are rare... and few and far between.

"The Copycat"- is similar to a Whiner, but he has better timing... and jumps on the bandwagon at just the right time. (so as to not be percieved as a bandwagonjumper)

"The Barbara Mandrel"- is a guy who was country, when country wasn't cool. He owned that original straight axle '57 150... through the 80's... and everyone LAUGHED at him at cars shows... but then, by CHANCE... the trend is COOL again.

"The Dude"- Dudes are guys who just build what they want because they like it. Closely related to the Builder, but not as anal retentive, Dudes have a lot of fun, and don't care WHAT people think. There are a lot of people who CLAIM to be dudes... but aren't. Be careful when someone tells you that they are a Dude... if they do, they are probably a Copycat or a Whiner who want nothing more but to be accepted.

Sam.

11. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

If you can get Tony Bones to bring those 2 girls to be the ringside bikini ladies, then yes you can be the ring announcer.
    Do we have anyone here with an old ambulance? I think we're gonna need that also.....

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Sam you forgot, "The annoying trendy bastard who's always talking about the car he's gonna build but never actually will because he's pissed his money away in bars and on tattoos."

13. We'll call that one the "The Big Talker".

Hahahaha!!

Also, we should have

"The Mock-up Man" for the guy who hoards parts, then posts pics on the HAMB with it all mocked up... then never builds it.
    Sam.

14. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Hmmm...in the car world, I'm a Dude...but in the motorcycle world, I'm Barbara Mandrell!!:D

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

16. [
    Great stuff, Sam!!

You left out the "Expert". He's the guy (some are HAMB'ers apparently) who wants everybody to conform to their way of thinking about building a car. Even though these "Experts" weren't even conceived anywhere close to the their favorite time in history, they have the arrogance to nit-pick and slam any creation that doesn't fall into their preconceived notion of correctness.
    Just like a bunch of anal restorers. Get a grip and a life and leave me and my car the hell alone. I don't care what they think. Build 'em and drive 'em.

17. sentinelT

sentinelT

As little kids, we threw rocks at bee hives until we realized that was a terrible idea...
    As adults, we argue over car styles...

At least as kids we learned our lesson and quit our stupid shit...

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

There's also "The Fabricator", not some guy who's real good at making brackets, but one who's deluded himself into the believing the lies he concocted in his head, also known as "The Revisionist."

19. DrJ

DrJ

20. When it comes to the cars Just drive!!!! And it is only about the cars!

21. monaroau

monaroau

Its all hot rods to me. Stop whinging that no one takes notice of your car. You didnt build it for them you built it for you. What the fuck is all this shit about, is it a "rat rod" whinge whinge is it "traditional" whinge whinge, what "era" is it from whinge whinge. I think all the people that belong on the HAMB know what is cool. Including yourself. Be it primered or shiny. Dont worry about the "labels" that are so over used in the States.

It is a hot rod.....done.

22. I've always been fond of Brazilian food.

23. Mutt

Mutt

It's not a moot question - it's a mute question. This thread isn't as bad with the sound turned off. Still sux, just not as bad....

My question about this is...

Why is a duck?

Mutt

24. Kustom??

Kustom??
    from N.J. US

I think all of you guys are missing the point here....People are taking cars that are basiclly from the junk yards, slapping tires half a motor some plates on it and calling it done...Thats getting tiresum ..And some of these cars i wouldnt ride near they barely look safe to be near ....I can understand a car beeing in primer mine is too, but it will be painted it was never meant to be left in primer ..It was left that way until it is done then i can shoot some color on it...But some of these cars are left that way to each his own but calling a car done that looks like it came from a scrap yard COME ON...And praise it and pay 15,000 dollars for it..Man i think people are getting dummer by the day....And a traditional car is a car that looks period correct maybe in paint or primmer but correct...Not with radials,high tech gauges,modern seats/brakes traditional is the way it was in the 50's and 60's thats why i say ever one is missing the point here..I dont think back then they would have made there cars look like shit..and call them done.....

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Umm... why do you guys keep responding to this thread? Isn't your time worth anything?

I just don't get it, but whatever fellas... Talk about this subject till ya turn blue - no skin off my back!

26. Squablow

Squablow

I read through six pages to make a response here. The last one I read was this one, and other than the spelling (whine! whinge?) i think monaroau said it best. I don't think I could have expressed my feelings any better.

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Squablow, he's Hungarian, give him a break. Whinge is a combination of the words whine and minge.

28. monaroau

monaroau

Do you have any pictures of these cars you are talking about??

29. monaroau

monaroau

Dude I am Australian. I am just living in Hungary. but thanks for the explination.

30. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

First off, Tony Bones-Microkitten.com rocks-their models are mad hot. Second, maybe, to Hungarian women:D They're mostly gymnasts, you know..
    Second,Ryan-once again you prove yourself a kind and just ruler with a sense of humor by letting this go on so long.
    Third, Jeepers is my daily driver; I can't park her 'til I get the cash to paint her and even if I did have the cash, I'd still drive her. That's 'traditional' if you ask me. These guys didn't have driveable cars sitting around waiting for the paint and detailing bit before they drove them. Get all the essentials in place and fire up this mutha. How the hell else do you figure out what works and what doesn't. Maybe a better word for it is
    'Research and Development Rodding';)