Register now to get rid of these ads!

Firestone ribbed tires, how do they handle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Oct 28, 2011.

1. I really like the Firestone ribbed tires but I was wondering how they handle going down the road and in the rain?

2. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I put about 35,000 miles on a couple sets of ribbed front firestones. I drove in allot of rain on road trips and never had a problem. They need to be balanced well. I had good luck with the raod force balancing. I also went throught the trouble of balancing my drums and that helped allot. Another thing I found was that they were better with high air pressure.

3. Master of None

Master of None

I ran them on the front of my truck for not sure how many miles.(Didn't check just wore them out). I agree with 29 sedanman, make sure you have them properly balanced. Went down the road strait rain or shine. Only followed deep cracks but I do think that my cheater slicks on the rear amplified that. Unlike 29 sedanman I only ran 20 lbs of pressure in them. It seemed to keep them from bouncing like basketballs on the rough Iowa roads.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

They handle very well. Better than 4.50/75 stones. Wayyy better. The just don't last as long.

5. Ditto

6. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

These have been on my roadster for over two years , they have done well ..On a secondary road with two groves there wander but on enterstate they do fine .. Are they like a radial ,,,no...

Attached Files:

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I ran them on a deuce roadster 40 years ago when you could buy originals. They drove good on the highway but in my area theres a lot of gravel and going around corners you had to be careful as they would slide on the gravel.

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

I balanced my drums too. Ran 40 psi. They are not sensative to toe in. The small diameter makes them not do road bumps and potholes well. But never had a wandering or hunting problem.

I don't know about gravel, but they are good on the Latimore dirt track:D

I just replaced my 5.00X16 ribbed tires with 6.00 Deluxe Champion. They do have a better ride on bumpy, shitty roads.

Frank

BanjoBoy likes this.