Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Ford one-piece windows-anyone make them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Oct 27, 2011.

1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Just wondering if there was a source as I have been working on a '49 Sedan at work and made up a set of front and rear one-piece glass that looks stock- not like some kits with the lame corner pieces.
    Designed the tracks, got the shape right on the window templates and figured out how I'm mounting the rears solid without modifying the car to death. Using the stainless around the windows too. Added power windows up front and got it all working slick. Would this be anything many other people would have any interest in?

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Arent you talking about flat glass that anyone can cut?

3. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

No- Tudors had windwings front and rear. I eliminated them so now the glass is full length of the opening.

4. roxndoxn

roxndoxn

It is still all flat glass though is it not? A good glass shop should be able to do that??

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Sure- and they will know exactly what shape to make them and hand you the channels to install them. Thanks for the input! ;)

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sounds interesting ... got pics ??

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Going out of town- get some up next week.

8. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I believe the current issue of Street Rodder magazine has a 1 piece window install on a Shoebox. They usually list any shop involved in the credits. They may already have a pattern for the glass you're after once you contact the shop they used for glass.

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

the number is 951-789-8870 they did the street rodder article.

10. Anyone have pics of this --

11. i got my driverside rear mocked up and a cardboard templet made for my 50 coupe its pretty striaght forward

12. Skam213

Skam213

I'd be interested in seeing it! sounds like it'd be cool!

13. I would like to keep the front windwings and go one piece on the rear windows. What to do with the stainless window trim is also a problem to keep it from looking pieced together.
    Would like to see some construction and finished pictures.
    The shoebox site had an article on this a while back and I think there was some company even making a kit for the rear window crank mech. but there was not much interest in doing it there at that time and it dropped off.

Attached Files:

14. the stainless around the 1/4 window looks the same as it mouints to the pinchweld on the body the window crank mechanism all mounts to 1 piece of metal that is screwed into the car with 6-8 phillips head screws i unscrewed them removed the crank and guides from the main piece then screwed the panel back into the car and bent over the top of the panel to where it made a flat mounting surface under the window then i bought some glass run (metalchannel) and some weatherstripping(catwiskers) to fit it and will screw that down below the opening and use the stock garnesh molding to hold the window sandwiched between the body and the garnish molding