Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found this in a barn I'm cleaning out. What is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Oct 27, 2011.

1. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

So I'm cleaning out this barn for a little old lady from church, and she tells me I can have everything in it, (damn, no cars). I run across this in an old box. It has a 3 prong plug, and 2 cables, coming out of the back. Two knobs on the front, and it looks like it could mount on an old steering column. At first I thought it might be some type of radio, but it has me completely fooled. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, for any information on it. Sorry, my files must be too big. It won't let me load the other 2 photos.

Attached Files:

2. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

photo 2. Back view.

Attached Files:

3. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

I think it's aaaaa whatcha macallit ?

4. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

It is a radio there would be another piece/ box that attaches to the firewall

5. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Oh Man!! That is rare, I believe it's a Dickfer.

6. F&J

F&J

You are correct; it's a radio "head" for the old remote mounted radio case that was under the dash.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yup. radio, now go back and find the box with the tubes in it and the speaker.

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

something like this
    [​IMG]

9. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! What's a dickfer?

ba-bump-shish!

10. rld14

rld14

Steering column mounted radio head... probably prewar or IMMEDIATELY post war.

Any markings on it?

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It's a flux capacitor.

12. Yeah, the HAMB's servers have a maximum file size for uploading. You don't really need a 7 MP image to display in the forums anyway. If you don't have software to resize them, try reshooting them. Check your camera's size settings and look for something like 800x600 pixels or 1600x1200. They'll still be plenty large onscreen. Get some more light on the items and if you're trying to shoot as close as I think you are switch your camera to "macro" mode if possible to improve the focus. Might be too close to use the flash (but worth a try). Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine and I've taken it on as a personal crusade. :rolleyes:

But anyhow, hope you find the rest of this rig! Even if you don't, the control head is still a pretty cool find. :D

13. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Hmm?? I'm not sure what it is, but I've
    got a feeling that some men in some nice
    black suits from Homeland Security, the
    F.B.I. and the B.A.T.F. will be paying you
    a visit soon! :eek::eek::D

Mart3406
    ============

14. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Irfanview to resize for posting or whatever. Freeware readily found online, easy to use.

15. Looks like you have an answer coach! I'll check it out tomorrow when I see you

16. n847

n847

HA HA HA...I know what a DICKFER is its closely related to a henway!

17. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Yeah, but a dick is not for a hen, unless she's over 18; I don't care how much she weighs.

18. woodypecker

woodypecker

It's a barn find.

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

That thing is just too cool!
    You would think the modern radio manufacturers would offer a kit like that for old cars to allow remote controlling a hidden system with something era correct and interesting to look at.

But i guess as availability goes up...coolness goes out.

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

antique hearing aide

21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

22. 4speedman

4speedman

An early hearing aid from the CCCP.....Can you hear me now Vlad????

23. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Close, but actually the inspirational piece to which the Flux capacitor is based off.

This little gaffer was only 3.2 megawatts.

R & D proved quite worthwhile as later models were well into the gigawatt range. This baby would only take you back to the late 90's; if used today.

24. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

she must have wore out the pole that goes in that unit back in the 40's.

25. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Thanks guys for all your help. Clay Mart, thanks for the photo posting information. Slick Willy, 49 ratfink, and F&J, appreciate your help. Doubt if I'll find the rest, but I'll look for it.

26. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Ok, I think I found the other part of this baby. I also, learned how to put smaller HAMB worthy pictures on here too. Thanks guys for all your help.

Attached Files:

27. MISFIT 1

MISFIT 1
    BANNED

Here ya go
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I would guess it was made in 1936. It is an aftermarket "fits all cars". The factory radios for General Motors cars had this part made to fit in the dashboard starting in 1935. The box looked similiar. Earlier Chevrolets used a one piece radio that attached to the bottom of the dashboard and to the firewall. Some had a key to turn them on and off. That was to stop bystanders from listening to your radio and running the battery down.

29. YESSSS!!!! We both get to mark an "X" up in the win column this time! :D You're taking better pictures and I'm not looking at oversize blurry photos! ;) Oh, and you found the other half of your FREE radio.

Looks like you're shooting with a Nikon Coolpix L22 so that should be a pretty flexible and capable camera. Just remember to reset the image size setting when you need something larger, like for making larger prints. Prints need much higher resolution than a computer monitor does. :cool:

30. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Holy shit , I can't believe you asked this question....:D:D , I guess you need to be fluent in Hillbilly argot....lmao