Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Ford F100 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

This is going to be my little contribution to this board. My hopes is that this helps other F100 owners who are in the process of building and provides some entertainment for others. I found my 56 F100 in Connecticut on September 10th give or take a few days. It was a project that has changed hands a few times over the last 5 years before it got to me. From what I was told it was a work truck for most of its life and the colors on the fenders where blue and the hood was orange for what thats worth.

I feel I found a jewel of a project. The first project owner sanded blasted, primed and sprayed rust resistant paint on the frame, installed new tires, new rims, new leaf springs and shocks all around, new exhaust, rebuild the rear end, also included a near perfect bed, provided a second 223 engine, among other things.

The second owner who's profession is welding did all the body work to the cab. There is absolutely no rust or bondo on it, all the inner and outer corners have been replaced, seam sealed and primed. Its really a perfect cab that requires little further attention and just the normal final prep work before painting. He also had the 223 engine professionally rebuilt, replaced the steel brake lines, rubber brake lines, brake pads, brake hardware, body mounts along with a list of many other things. He purchased new steel running boards and handed me a large box with new parts and receipts totaling almost $400.

The Good: I purchased the truck for $2600 which I think was a deal and a half

The somewhat BAD: the front valance, front bumper, front and rear fender were junk. The hood and tailgate are in pretty rough shape but should be able to be saved. The doors need attention, the passenger door has had its door handle and lock partially shaven (i will un-shave) and has a few pin holes that need to be welded up, the drivers door has had the lower outer panel cut out and the inner bottom partially cut and there is a silver dollar rust hole above the door latch. I was supplied with new patch panels however if i happen to run across a deal on a good 56 drivers door before I come to repairing it I will scoop it up. When I loaded my new to me F100 on the UHAUL trailer it looked like it puked its guts out in back of the box truck.

The goal: Complete a quality build that will withstand New England's harsh weather (snow, salt, sand, rain, humidity that likes eating metal) for the Summer Nationals in Worcester MA next year. Keep it mostly true to period customizing. Significantly lower the ride hight without IFS. There are going to be a few modern updated mostly related to safety. Gas tank relocated to the rear, front and rear sway bars, small almost unnoticeable 3rd brake light located inside the cab, HID headlights, shoulder harness seatbelt, fiberglass fenders, a hidden cd player/radio and speakers located under the bench seat

Fast forward: I have been working on this almost everyday since I purchased. Lots of progress has been made and will update the rest soon

I'm sure I will do a few things that rubs people the wrong way but please remember its my truck to do what I want with. But most of all enjoy this thread for what it is. A amateur builder doing what he loves.

Here is a Youtube video link that the second created to help sell the truck.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6wEuAXmz9I

Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. Noland

Noland

looks like it will be a pretty awesome cruiser when your done. looks alot nicer than my 56.

3. yellowf100

yellowf100
    Member Emeritus

You got a great project there, i really hope you are not planning to use it through winter with all the liquid car destroying crap they use now on the roads, we use our 53 f100 right up till the first flakes then it goes away till spring, good luck on the build, hope to see it in person someday..

4. Dave50

Dave50

Looks good I like and want a 56 someday. Keep the pics and info coming

5. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Basically i will be driving it like you up to the first flake however sometimes in winter the roads will be cleared of snow and dry with sand and salt on the road i would like every once in a while when a day like that comes to take it out for a stretch without being super worried. I'm also building it this way so it has the best chance to last another 55 years. I dont know what a future owner will do with it so I'm preparing for that as well...just the other day I applied POR15 over the existing primer and rust inhibitor for good measure....i hope you see it too some day

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great start on a good looking truck. Back in 1976 I flew to LA and drove one home, couldn't find a good one around here. Look forward to your updates. Bob

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like you have a good start on a nice project. One of the best things about the '56 is that there is LOTS of stuff available for it. Subscribed.

8. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

ok update time, today i froze my butt off installing my gas tank, oh the fun days i will have this winter, but it convinced me to buy a heater for my garage, not much is worse than holding your metal hand tools that feel like ice cubes and acting as heat sinks that sucks out any warmth your hands had....my garage seemed to have eaten my last pair of mechanic gloves. :rolleyes: Still I enjoyed my project today!

Recently for good measure I applied Por15 to the entire frame over the rust inhibiting paint and started on freshening up the appearance of my engine. I still need to buy new wires, new cap, paint the front engine mount, oil filter cover, starter, and generator (although i'm reluctantly but strongly considering a alternator for the purpose of helping recharge the batteries in a vintage trailer I plan on redoing after I complete my F100)

Up next is installing the drop axle, reverse eye and unsprung the leaf springs, Por15 the suspension components, rebuild the master cylinder and run my gas lines.

Note: If you install a gas tank like mine make sure you install rubber grommets, my installation kit which did not come from the maker of the tank but the seller does not include them or tells you to install them. i needed to buy the rubber grommets and longer bolts, basically replacing the entire installation kit :rolleyes: The manufacture of the tank stated the grommets need to be installed. our frames are meant to flex and its a rigged tank with welds that could bust if it does not have a little wiggle room

Here are some progress pictures

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  9. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

more pictures

Attached Files:

10. uglyjesus

uglyjesus
    from Ohio

Nice work i hope to get started on my 59 this winter also.

11. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

the garage before clean up....still can not find my gloves

Attached Files:

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like that tank install. Where did you find it?

13. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Me too.. I am looking for a tank.

14. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i purchased it from midfifty, they have a custom tank shop make a tank design specific to them, i did not need to modify my crossmembers and the tank mounts to them, I did have to remove my spare tire bar but some f100 dont have them. Its 21 gallons and the cap is under the third board and the cap does not have to be removed to fill it has a trap lid in the middle of the cap....the only down side is it was a bit on the expensive side

15. hrspwrranch

hrspwrranch

I purchased many things from Mid Fifty for my build. They are great. I had an issue with my bed side. freight damage was not noticeable from the outside of the box. They sent me a new bedside for free after freight company told me to pound sand. I would highly recommend them.
    [​IMG]

16. hrspwrranch

hrspwrranch

Here's my fuel fill in the bed. I cut the bed strip to fit around the fuel filler door. i used a router to set the fill door flush with the wood. I used a fuel tank from Mid Fifty. The new versions have an offset fill. i bought this tank 10 years ago. Be sure ask them where the fill is. This was alot of work to fix after the fact. Metal and wood working. if offset, you may only need to do the wood working.

Attached Files:

17. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

yes midfifty has been great, if I have a question they know the answer or get it or if there is a problem they will make it right. the tank i bought is their new version and the fill comes up through the third board and leaves the rails intact. Nice color on your truck I'm between orange toner and satin black.

18. OneBad56

OneBad56

Forget the so-called "wiggle room".
    I would suggest fabricating a couple of tank straps to wrap around the tank and bolt the straps to the frame. 21 gallons will put a lot of stress on the bracket welds, which look minimal to me. Those welds should have being continuous along the entire length. And even if they were, stress cracks are still possible. I learned the hard way and the 17 gallon tank I have is now in a "steel cage" as the bracket welds were stress cracking.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  19. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thanks for the tip!

20. Mark

Mark
    from CT

great project. I have some left over parts from when my Dad and i did my 56 , i know we have a valance, lots of small stuff. I'm in CT. PM me if your looking for parts

Mark

21. Drakkar

Drakkar

I am doing a 56 build as well. Havent gotten around to posting pictures up. I have cherry fenders and a rebuilt y block if you want them. I've been toying with the idea on building a frame mount master cylinder from scratch or buying one off of ebay. There is a guy hawking them for 125 with the pedal assemble and a gm master... Looking forward to your future head aches!

22. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thanks i will PM you. funny you mention a head ache, i have been dealing with one all day that this truck has given me and another that has lasted the past few weeks. I should have some update pictures up soon.

23. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Good call... I had an even deeper tank made...stealing that idea.

24. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Wow! :eek: Very nice of you guys to help him out like that.

25. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

it is, people on this board are great!