Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fabricating Hidden Door Hinges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Oct 26, 2011.

1. I've got my own idea in mind for fabbing up some hidden door hinges, but I know I'm not the only one who has contemplated or made their own hidden door hinges. I'd like to see some pictures of something you or someone you knew made out of what they had.

2. designs that work

designs that work

Do not ask how I know it is cheaper and better for your Mental Health to buy the hinges. By time I was on my third set of home made hinges, which did not work, my Mental Health was in trouble. No pictures because I scraped them out. Now if you still want to try to make them more power to you. You will need bronze bushings for 3/8 " pins, cold roll for the pins, 3/8" or 1/2" x 2 " flat bar stock for the curved moveable part. I used sections of square tubing for the stationary part. A piece of square tubing to mock up but also to keep in line. No matter what curve the door has the hinge pins have to be inline. Lots of luck

3. 50'custom

50'custom

Do a search for Cboy,he has a book out now "homemade hotrod" he has a how to on building hidden hinges.....You can view it here,or it has been linked to/from about a half dozen forums that I know of.

4. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Save alot of time and by them.

Attached Files:

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

6. Look, I know I can buy them. I like the quality of the ones that are made. I'm asking for pictures from mavericks. People who said to themselves, "I can do that," and they did. I want to see the radical and the plain. But its got to be all homemade. Nothing store bought (unless its bushings or pins).

7. beater32

beater32

8. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

don't have pix, but I took a set from a F100, 53-56 vintage, and modified them and installed them a 33 tudor for a customer back in the 90's, worked great and were easy to use, and ahelluva lot stronger than what was available at the time.