Register now to get rid of these ads!

Astro chrome slot wheels??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Jan 7, 2008.

1. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Such a simple and good looking wheel. I don't see why someone hasn't repopped them yet. I had a set on my '65 Mustang in high school.

2. eric

eric

pieced this together for one of my projects:cool:...
    [​IMG]

3. Very nice center. Never have seen one of these before.
    I assume these were original to the Astro wheels, corrrect?

4. eric

eric

Never seen any cars with the knock off itself but have seen pics of them in old Advertisements...
    another option...
    [​IMG]

5. kooldeuce

kooldeuce

6. Drewski

Drewski

Those wheels were very popular in my area during the 60's and early 70's. I had sets on several of my mustangs, falcons and even an early rice burner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everybody called them Astros, even though they were made by several different companies. Most of mine were made by Appliance.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  7. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

I need a nice pair of 15X6" with the 5on 5 1/2" bolt circle to match the two I already have if anyone still has some for sale. P.M. me. Thanks TomCat1

8. kooldeuce

kooldeuce

Hey man I'm looking for the exact pair. 15 x 6 or skinnier 5 1/2 Ford pattern . :D ANY SHAPE :D

9. 62cadd

62cadd

I'm gonna be putting in a set of slotted rims in my patina 64 Chevy truck... any pics of 60s Chevy trucks iwth slotted rims ? I've been searching with no luck...

only one I found, my truck as a stepside short bed..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

We aren't talking about slot mags, dude.

11. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

I have a set of Appliance chrome slots for sale. Nads saw them this past weekend. They are big Ford 5 lug bolt pattern. 15x7 or maybe even 8's. $250.00. I just put them up in the loft tonight and forgot to take any pics. I'll see if I dig some pics up. They're in pretty decent shape too. What'd you think of them Nads? If anyone is interested, let me know. I can bring them to Daytona on Thanksgiving weekend if ya wanna save on shipping?

12. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

They are nice, too bad they're Ford, and I've got these damn things coming out my ears.
    I really want a set of 13s, 4 lug for my Capri, or Appliance Steel Spokes.

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

How timely... I just bought a '61 Falcon wagon that has a set of 13" four luggers on it, they're unilug though and the PO just has regular lug nuts crammed on them. I want to run them but what the hell kind of lug nut do these take? Do they use a oval washer with a wide nut? A REALLY short shank unilug nut maybe?? Anyone?

[​IMG]

15. I wish I knew of a couple of sets buddy. I don't think anyone repops them. I would like a set myself. Hell I'd even be happy with a set of the Western Auto copies, I think they werre Western Wheel or something like that.

Anyway this'll keep you up where someone can see it.

16. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

The close up pic of the wheel with the measurements is the "worst" one. It has a small chip, way less then the size of a dime, one the face. Let me know what ya think. Thanks again for your interest.

Attached Files:

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

Got a set of 14s need rechromed painted now. $60

18. Thumper

Thumper

I had a set by Cragar on a 70 Dart Swinger. J.C. Penny also sold some.

19. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Figured it out... lo-pro mag lug! :cool: these ones could really benefit from a rechrome, but that's not in the budget for this beast.
    [​IMG]
    Now, gotta lower the ass end a bunch, tidy up the interior, shave the handles, and lay down some fresh paint... Done!

20. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you be more specific on the lugs? I'm assuming standard mag wheel style lugs but low-profile? I have a few sets of steel slots I will be selling at some point, I would like to be able to help the buyer out if needed. THANKS.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya know, since Jeem helped our buddy Craig find a complete new set a couple of years ago for his roadster "The Liberace", I have had a soft spot for these. I just found a set of 14" four lug aluminum slots for my '62 Ranchero last week, but if any body in the Phoenix area has a set of four lug 13" or 14" Astros for sale, my mind could be changed...

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yeah, they're just a short-shank standard mag lug nut. I got em at autozone for $2 ea or so. What size are the wheels you're thinking of selling?:rolleyes:

23. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Mr. Tbird Esquire, right now I have a pair of 14x7 deep reverse, 5 on 4 1/2.

24. rwd95v

rwd95v
    from Cabot, AR

Since we are on a roll. I need a pair of these in 15 x 7 or 8....4 1/2 bolt pattern. Let me know what you have. Thanks.

25. i would like to get a set of 15x8 or 15x10 with 4 1/2 pattern to run on my 57 ford

26. i have one very rusty 14 5x41/2 chrome slot that id sell or trade or ????

would love to find some 15's in neither 15x6 (4) or 15x8(2) 15x10(2) with 5 on 41/2 bolt pATTERN

27. squirrel

squirrel

found an old thread to drag up....I also found a pair of chrome slots. Looking at the old picture of the ad, real Astro Customs had a raised center, while none of the ones we see around have that. Mine are probably from the 70s or 80s. Came with some old Kelly Super Charger tires. Chrome cleaned up ok, one has quite a bit of pitting still. this is the nice one.

[​IMG]

28. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

29. In response to Squirrel's post...

does anyone have any more pics of ACTUAL, REAL Astro Custom (or, later, Super Custom that's what the ads labels them as) chrome slots???

i recently bought a car with a set of wheels that eerily resembles the pic on the ad with the raised centers. when i got it home, i looked at 'em and wondered why there were these weird 'protective rings' (like to keep the lugs from diggin into the thin centers and to add some girth). looking at them they looked like part of the wheel and something said they might be Astros. that photo might have sealed it. further research indicates that astro did that for extra strength for competition use...

any definitive identifiers other than just looking at 'em???

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  30. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's one of the set of 4 I had built to gauge interest in repops, fresh from the box today. These happen to be 15x7 5 on 4.5 bolt circle. 5 on 5 centers are available as well, no 4.75 at this point unless there is enough interest, although tooling exists. Made in USA. Not cheap, but they are really nice, and would be built to order.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012