Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 3X2 vs 6X2 for vintage sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Oct 26, 2011.

1. I have two options: run a 6X2 or a 3X2 intake for my 327? Running a roller cam with good low-end vacuum. Should put out an honest 300hp. 29 Model A roadster, M20 Muncie 4-speed (wide ratio) backed by a 9" with 3.50 gears. Seeing as I'm going to pop for new Strombergs, the price difference is huge!
    Would 3X2 be a smarter play or do I go whole hog with the 6X2. This is the shit that keeps me up at night. Weigh in. All comments appreciated.

2. I am curious on this also. Stock 305, 400 auto, 8 inch/3.00. in a 33 pickup.-MIKE:cool:

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

If I only ran three..................that would keep me up @ nights..ha ha ha...really...you can make both work.....Depends on how much you want to tinker or tune and the economics of buying all new carbs....Littleman

I ran six-twos on a mild 327 w/ straight linkage w/ no problem...

4. n847

n847

If you can tune em' and afford em no questions 6x2!

5. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

If you can afford it, do the 6x2's. It'll be worth the extra work. I love my 6x2 set-up.

6. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

3X the carbs is 3X the money and 3X the trouble and 3X the cool factor.
    6X the carbs is 6X the money and 6X the trouble and 6X the cool factor.

If it was cheap and easy then every one would do it, and it wouldn't be cool.

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

BINGO im cheap i can only run 2x4 on tunnelram. but id love to run 6x2 on our 11.1 355.btu i have a hard enough time dialing in 2 x4s. id end up shootin myself trying to dial in 6 of them critters!

8. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like 6X2. But I need to qualify that. If you got them, they got to work. So if you think you will run a 6X2 with some of them blocked off - don't bother. That keeps me up at nights! So, like said above, figure out what you want to spend - money to buy and time to tune- then get a setup and make it work.

9. JJTF

JJTF

Glad I'm not the only one! Definitely 6x2 if you can afford the stress! It was too much on my stock 350, stock TH350 & highway gears, I'll try to sort it again when the new 406 goes in (soon-ish)...Good Luck!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  10. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Remember if your intake is a open plenum design you can use progressive linkage with the 6x2..That would be my choice..
    Duane..

11. Littleman, If I had half your talent it'd be 6 for sure. But tinkering with multi- carbs scares the living shit outta me and isn't my strong suit. In theory, it's much harder to get six tuned and to keep them that way? It's much more than economics for me. It's my ability to sort six out. I agree with others that if you're gonna run six, then run six. But my ability to keep 6, let alone 3 tuned? Yeesh. Maybe I just answered my question.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

3x2 are very cool,looks nice,6x2 are sexy and look even better,but a lot harder to run right,vs any thing that runs poorly looks bad running that way

13. OCIE

OCIE
    from TRINITY,TX

I just swapped out my 2x4 tunnel ram for a 6x2 running straight linkage on my 327. I love it !!!

14. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Do you have a 6x2 intake that you want to run? The intake I built is an open plenum and tuning wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I run my set-up progressive and it works great. The way I look at mine is that it's just like a big 4 barrel. There's just a lot more jets to change.:) Don't get me wrong I do have a lot of time in tuning mine but it wasn't hard. Just do one change at a time. Also with mine I was kind of on my own with a base set-up. Where as you will be able to get a good starting point from the vast amount of info on here.

I just think if you want to run 6 2's you should! Don't let the tuning part intimidate you.

15. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Words to live by: Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess!

16. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

I think that if i were you i would run the 3x2... not even a question.
    Oh by the way you could take that 6x2 your not gonna run and sell it to me on the cheap! lol.

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I can't even afford a 3x2!!!

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess i don't get the "keep em tuned" comments. Once you're there, where the hell is the tune going? Jets don't wear out in anyone's lifetime, a little injector cleaner once a year for reduction of gum and varnish, keep the tune conservative since it's not going to live on all 6, and unless i'm so, soooo outta touch, why worry? Get em, dial em, run em. Same with trips. Why are they such a "bitch to tune" like so many say? Jets, power circuits, throttle positions, idle. Maybe it's too easy. The work you'll have getting it dialed in will net you more smiles per gallon than all the other engine hours combined. Hey, it's my story so I can tell it my way, right?

19. troylee

troylee

split the middle and go 4x2. 2 less strombergs.

20. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Depends on what type of carbs your tuning.....97's, 94's....or what I look @ as a newer type carb like Matt is running '' they are still an older carb but are more proficient than tweeking 1930s-40's carbs and are the way to go!.......

I can go to a swapmeet, buy six field 94 carbs...tear them down..rebuild them and bolt them on and tune them in and drive them on the street w/ straight linkage w/ some tuning time......you can take the same carbs and blast down the track.....but to optimize you really need to do more tuning, you experience new problems...driving on the street ain't shit..tuning for peak power w/ the fun pedal mashed to the floor under full load is different than the street......

Now you want to go even faster...what do you do...I started to bore and violate the carbs, I sectioned and cut a few carb bodies apart to see and understand what was going on. That's HotRodding to me...The only way I knew if the changes would work was the last E.T. slip.....Limited to your determination...

If you are really running six-two's hard @ the strip.....your going to be doing allot of work, the weather really affected my setup.....unless your not interested in pushing the envelope...When you think you've full maximized your setup.....you have stopped thinking, their is always room for improvement and you will never know unless you try.....My first 1/4 mile pass in my little A Truck was 15.99.......Factory Mustangs were faster .....Ya..I remember that gay feeling I had driving back from that run down the return road, sounded awsome blasting down the track..the E.T. slip was the hard reality, but I had my baseline..........I could have gone faster in the end if I chose a newer style two barrel carb, but I had the 94's......and then theirs the nitrous...yes that dirt little word...nitrous..he he he....I am a HotRodder today !..So I made up that system...ended up w/ [12] jets to tune on the carbs and another [12] jets to tune on the nitrous side of the madness and two fuel pump pressures. I enjoyed every second attempting to get that to work in concert..It could still go faster.....But for once the HP has exceeded my street chassis...and saftey should be king.

You need to do what you want to...if the economics dictates [6] new carbs cost too much.....Just remember their are allot of good old homeless cores out their just waiting to be adopted...You will learn way more building and tuning your stuff than opening that new neatly printed box w/ that new carb inside.....If I was given and or bought [6] of the new carbs....guess what..I am tearing them apart and boring them out anyway's.......Just rambling, Littleman

21. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

find the money go with the wow !!!!

22. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

I have a 348 6x2 setup on an Edelbrock intake. 348 males 300 hp. Turbo 350 WOW factor is wow. They look like a lot of work but not all that bad just read guys like Littleman emsil them if you have to do more home work and there you go. I look at my system like 2 tripower setups. Then it doesnt seem so scarey.

Attached Files:

23. They are both cool setups, I only have a 3x2 to sell you tho ;)

24. S.F.

S.F.

Littleman...have you started to tackle 8x2's yet or still in the works?

25. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Go with something you can drive with little problems, why try to impress strangers with 6x2. Relax and enjoy your car.

26. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I would run a 3x2, just so I have more $ for the gas!! 6x2 is super sexy though!! I personaly would probably set it ablaze trying to tune it!! Carbs don't like me, and multiples gang up on me!!