Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody ever use all metal body filler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHORTDOG, Oct 25, 2011.

1. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Any paint & body guys here ever use that stuff called "all metal" from a company named USC? I heard it is suppose to be real good stuff and far superior over regular ol' bondo! Because it is aluminum based they say it is the closest thing to using real lead, Is this true? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

naw, nobody here has done that!

3. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I have only used it on a custom motorcycle frame that was to be powder coated. Worked great for that since it was able to pass elect. current. Easy to work with.

4. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

the guy i used to work for liked to use it over his patch panels in case there was a pin hole he missed. said it didn't absorb moisture like bondo. dont know if it true or not. what are you working short, your suburban?

5. aircoup

aircoup

ive used it , works good '

6. I use it over patch panels, sections and shaved door handle jobs. Then I use a filler or finish putty over it.

It helps hide the ghost lines of a repair that can show up on a hot day.

7. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

There's a limo company who builds hundreds of limos each year that uses All-Metal for a lot of their body work, covered with a skim coat of bondo. It's supposed to be magnetic also. Using All-Metal helped reduce the stress cracks in body work of stretched limos that were in service.

8. voodoo1

voodoo1

Good stuff. Use it alot. Mike

9. 33mopower

33mopower

I use it over all welds and potential pin holes. I also like to use it exclusively on hoods because it's expansion and contraction matches the base metal better and a hood can get hot. Due to it expense, on large area's I just spread it over welds and pin holes then rough it in with a 7 inch grinder then come back over it with a more affordable filler. Metal to Metal is a similar product that has more thinner in it so it lasts longer in the can but takes a lot more hardener to get it to set off(or just wait over night then come back in and grind it). I have found both to be a lot more flexible and less likely to crack than fiberglass reinforced.

10. fbama73

fbama73

We used All Metal on this car. Paint is now 16 years old with not a sign of a bubble or crack. I'd say it's pretty good.

[​IMG]

11. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I used it in place of lead on the sail panel seams when I replaced 1/4s on my O/T car. Like others I skim coated w/Rage for the finish work. So far, so good.

12. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I bought this shoebox from a HAMB'r here in NH two years ago. His dad chopped it ten years before using All-Metal. Car has been in DP-90 since he did the bodywork and not a crack or bubble to be seen.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      357.2 KB
      Views:
  13. darkk

darkk

I've used it a time or two...like anything else, it has it's place.

14. outlaw256

outlaw256

after using once we started using it alot.we like it here at our shop.

15. Gator

Gator

I'm pretty sure I just ran across some of it while stripping the hood of my '33 Plymouth.

It's TOUGH and stuck like hell. The rest of the body filler came right off (aircraft stripper and razor blade) but this silver filler is STUCK on there.

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I like it on toast.:D

17. Lild

Lild

Not having any experiance with it, Me and my buddy used it on our projects like you would with any other filler. Sanded like concrete. I suppose thats a good thing but sucked at the time.

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I see the tube there. Does "All-Metal" need a hardener then?

19. Yes that is exactly right, it's a two part deal like anything else. I like it as a substitute for lead work. I will say if you think severe bondo abuse is a pain to deal with, you haven't lived until you find this stuff mixed in with rust, fiberglass and other goodies!

20. I like the stuff!

21. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Thanks for all the comments guys! This helps out alot!

@socalmerc - Yeah patched up the little rust spot i had on the rear wheel well lip...now to coat it with all metal, It's going into the paint shop soon!

22. 56 rusty nailhead

56 rusty nailhead

Very good stuff aluminium paste in a can my whole 58 chevy pickup was done in it

23. Model A restorer I am good friends with uses it exclusively on his restorations for custumers. It works really well.-Weeks

24. BISHOP

BISHOP

How long does it take to harden, how long till its workable.

25. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

where can you get it, I would like to try it???

26. TCP global carries it, and Eastwood does also. Most good body shop supply places either carry it or can order it.

27. It works just like body filler for work times. It is polyester resin with aluminum powder added.

28. Tin Can

Tin Can

I am planninig on using this on my hood where I peaked the center of it. Good info here

29. bobscogin

bobscogin

Now that would be quite an accomplishment with aluminum.

Bob

30. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

It's a bitch to sand.