Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE Dragster Disaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Polara Pat, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

A fatal crash took place on Saturday at my home track when a newly recreated nostalgia front engine dragster left the track at speed with no signs of slowing. Our track is an eighth mile in the Mtns. with plenty of room for top fuel dragsters to slow down and make the return road. Failing that it's rocks, trees and maybe a ravine. I didn't know Gary Hough too well but since it's such a tight nit community this will be a hard pill to swallow for a long time to come. I was thankfully away this weekend but always loved watching his nitro injected Hemi machine run. Sad times indeed. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

http://www.speedzonemagazine.com/ Check out the Sept. 10 submission.

2. rick finch

rick finch

Sorry to hear this.....R.I.P. Gary:(

3. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

What a shame. Gary sounds like a great guy that truely enjoyed life. Cheers and Godspeed.

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Extremely unfortunate. Very sorry to hear this. Prayers to family and friends.

5. 296ardun

296ardun

Terrible loss, sounds like a great guy, RIP...

6. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

Yah, sucks pretty bad. There's thoughts that maybe he had a heart attack or something. Autopsy will tell all I suppose.

7. I am sorry to hear this. My thoughts go out to the family.

8. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

There was an older guy in our company awhile back who raced cars on road courses. One day his car just drove right through a corner and wrecked big time.

Turned out he had a heart attack.

At least he went out doing what he enjoyed.

9. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

sorry to hear that ..rest in peace

10. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

sorry to hear it, r.i.p.

11. Gary's injected Hemi FED
    [​IMG]

12. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

We jst had a event , one of the guys pluged the wall on the big end .........hard 12.0 car full force my concern, that he is ok well car junk, he did fine but one sore puppy....now the best part he broke the wall we had to close down for the rest of the day,for repairs nhra deal well as I went back to staging too tell the boys we were done for the day...now get this some of these newbs....did not ask how he was doin ....they were pissed and said that sucked about lost track time wow that our new racers selfish.....hummmmmmmmm!

13. rick finch

rick finch

A friend of mine, John Shoemaker died under similar circumstances @ Bakersfield....never lifted, no chute, went off the end of the track. All very sad that they went lights out, but they were doing what they loved to do...

14. 94hoghead

94hoghead

What a loss......

15. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

R.I.P Gary, and many regards to his wife, family and friends.

Brant and Dave Inglis

16. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

RIP Gary, praying for him and his Family.

This is the risk we take and its our right to do so, we all know the dangers.

17. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

What a terrible loss. I will keep his family, yourself, and all his friends in my thoughts and prayers.

18. lawman

lawman

That is sooo sad !!!!! RIP

19. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Ronnie Hunter in the Hunter & Hancock fuel altered I asked about on the Drag Cars in Motion thread yesterday, had the little bolt come loose and fall out of the barrel valve and sucked wide open back in 69'. The car sailed under full power, throttle blades closed and the mag grounded, off the end of Union Hill 1/8th mi strip in Nashville cutting down six or so 30/40ft pines in the adjacent camp ground, before he could reach the fuel shutoff and get the chute out, which ultimately got tangled up.
    There was serious consideration of stopping drag racing entirely in all of Metro Nashville at both 1/4 mi Riverside and returning the Union Hill strip to the camping resort area, but it was successfully sold to local racer and trucking mgr Doug Greenfield out of Clarksville and operated successfully by him for many years, albeit the stipulation that no further nitro cars ever be allowed in the area again, which remains, to my knowledge, in effect as the track still operates today.
    That incident and others in the Ga region of Div II put the quietus on dragsters and funny cars and especially in the Nashville area for decades.

Side note; I understand a settlement was recently reached from the blown alcohol car that hit several spectators in Selma Tn. back in 07'.
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/sep/08/around-the-02/

I can't comment about other regions, but around here, carelessness has made it difficult to put on even an antique tractor pull.
    Tom S. in Tn.

20. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

yep!

21. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

John had coronary heart disease. Heart attack at 1000 foot mark. End of story. I miss him.