Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Toymaker's Twin Engine Dragster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

This car took minimal input from the driver to go straight down the track. Amazing how balanced it all is!
    I'm very curious how those flywheel ring gears are wearing.
    I'd give almost anything to see this; Tom S. in Tn.

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You sir, are a TOTAL Inspiration and have great vision.
    ... truly incredible.

3. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Awesome run. That pic posted above is great aswell. Couldn't resist playing with it a little on my phone with Snapbucket.

[​IMG]

4. here's another angle. this was actually the 1st run of the day. stick around til the end!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v61MQP3qXrM?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

^^^ that put such a smile on my face watching that!

6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Good for you, Rocky...that's an awesome accomplishment, you should be proud as hell!!:cool:

I've heard they have some special kind of medicine that may help stop the hurting in your face, from that eternal grin I'm sure you have!!:D:D

7. That front view lookin back is awsoooommmeeee............

8. 100e duncan

100e duncan
    from scotland

thats great i was smiling almost as much as you. of course i am ever so slightly jealous.

9. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Rocky, that was history making! Glad I can say "I was there the first time when..."

Here's a quick little vid my father-in-law took about Rocky's tire dressing. Sorry Rocky, hope I'm not giving away any secrets. God I love the smell of Life Bouy in the morning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxZd5BCUIo

10. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

My internet has been down since friday:( and I'm finally getting to catch up with all my friends! I want to Thank EVERYONE for their kind words, it has been a journey that is far from over.:D

Yep Dyna' the run wth the camera on the cage is 2nd gear, my plan is to run High Gear only when finished.

Thanks Tom, we took a peak thru the clutch fork hole and all loks good!

No problem Charlie, I'm looking for a couple of 400's and more clutch for unassisted tire smoking:D

Thanks again everyone and maybe I'll see ya @ the Hot Rod Reunion! Rocky

11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG] Oh man, didja wreck it already?!?!?!

couldn't resist, stolen from another thread

12. Yea but for those of us who were there and awake and up at dawn and got a chance to see Rocky run down the strip backwards with flames pouring out the stacks and into the morning light it was fantastic, thankls Roc for a view I will never forget.......AWWWSOMMMMMEEEEEE
    only next time let me know before you do this so I can have the camera ready!!!

13. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Using WD40 on the tires makes them softer, I've been using it to treat the tires on jr dragsters for years. I usually keep treating the tires with it untill the tires get to about 30 on a durometer (they usually measure 50 when new). When they get to 30 the tires will hookup on all most any track conditions. Cleaning the tires before using WD40 makes the WD40 work better.

14. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

I think the idea is to NOT hook up, but rather smoke the hides the way that dragsters used to in the early-mid-60's.

15. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I know that's the idea, just putting hand soap on, letting it dry then putting water on right before the car is staged would have had a better "effect" smoke wise. At places like Eagle Field a system that would apply a slight amount of water while the tires are spinning would make more of a smoke show (plus make the ride alot more "fun" for the driver).

16. budd

budd

you did a great job, older tires that the rubber has gone hard i find work best for smoke shows, when your car is running i hear a kind of ringing jingling sound, is that the ring gears you think?

17. Hey Stu it was great to meet you, but we have to talk a little more next time?????...........See ya at Eagle..............

18. 1954OldsHoliday

1954OldsHoliday

19. stromberg

stromberg

Damit that is awesome!

20. Conniptor

Conniptor
    from New Jersey

For all the years I've dreamed of seeing a side-by-side twin running down the track, Rocky you gave me my dream! If only I lived close enough to see it in person. Now I'm itching to build my own...

21. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Guys, I finally went out to the shop and turned on the lights for the first time since we parked the TWIN last weekend and cleaned it up a little. Sanded some of the rust :D and cleaned the wheels to get it ready for a local car show then I'm off to the Hot Rod Reunion. I hope to be in the grove, we'll see, stop by and say hi. Rocky

22. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Well I made it to the CHRR and had a GREAT Time, put a face to many HAMB'rs and talked 2 engine stuf with the Johansen Bros (Howards Twin Bear), Kent Fuller and others. Bob Johansen told me his dad worked with his Twin Engines on the Dyno changing Firing seperations (engines firing together, 45* apart, and etc.) and always came up with the same 750HP numbers, good enough for me. Kent Fuller told me "Power is Power", Kent talked about other Twins he had built or was going to build and I said he was more of a machinist than I am, (I told him I'm a Hack:D) and he said he wasn't much of a machinist, I loved it, these guys didn't spend much time talking they just did it! This winter plans are to Fab an aluminum body, replace the tired 307/350 engines with some "Fresher" 350s, put a stronger clutch in it, and spruce it up some (I was inspired by Steve's, Ratduece, rear engine build http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595703 ) for our next Eagle Field Appearence. Rocky

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Budd I missed your post somehow, yes the ringing is the Steel Flywheels, it was pretty quiet with the Cast Flywheels.

24. Sounds like you had a great time Roc, I'm gonna hafta make it one of these days.........

25. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I really dig that car Rocky.
    The video was a real hoot.
    Thanx for that if you never do another thing.
    Real steel definately has a "ring" to it as oppsed to cast steel.

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Rocky;your twin just flat ass ROCKS!!! Was TOO KOOL seeing it drive by my pit!!!!Thanks for stopping by,my jacked up back kept me a prisoner except for my time behind the wheel. ROY.

27. carsluTT

carsluTT

really wild project, nice work.

28. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

It was really cool checking out the twin. Nice Work!! It was cooler seeing it cruising around the grounds!!!

65Comet sorry I never got chance to stop by and say hi. There was just so much stuff to do and see I ran out of time.

29. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Guys, I had a Great Time with my own "CackleFest" :D Come see a real performance at Eagle Field May 19th and 20th if ya can. Rocky