Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Bel Air chassis to frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clinkboat, Oct 25, 2011.

1. clinkboat

clinkboat
    from georgia

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket of some kind where the front suspension mounts to the frame? Or, is it just metal to metal? I can't seem to find any diagrams..and haven't seen how much to torque the bolts.

I'm not sure if something may have been there originally or not! Thanks!!

2. tooslow54

tooslow54

I don't remember seeing anything as far as gaskets when I had mine off. Should be 8 bolts, lock washers and nuts, if memory is correct. As far as torque: tight! LOL. I'll try and look in my manual tonight to see if it lists a setting.

3. clinkboat

clinkboat
    from georgia

That's what I was thinking. Thanks...did you keep the original suspension?

4. tooslow54

tooslow54

Yes. My original was trashed and I got a deal on a complete set up that was already rebuilt. Cleaned it up re greased everything and I switched it over to disc brakes through MP Power.

5. clinkboat

clinkboat
    from georgia

Cool. I appreciate the original set up. I just rebuilt mine...it didn't look complicated but it took a while. I'm doing a frame off resto... and learning as I go. I'm going to start with the drum brakes for now, only because it's cheaper.