Register now to get rid of these ads!

Soda Blasted my 51

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Oct 25, 2011.

1. usmile4

usmile4

I got the 51 back from the soda blaster and they shot it with Diamont Epoxy EP 789. I have some body work that needs to be done. Do I need to get down to the bare metal before putting on the Rage filler? I have a guy who will be painting it but I'm trying to get all the prep work done. For small areas, after the Rage or Metal Glaze is there a rattle can primer that I can put over it until he is ready to shoot the whole car?

Thanks for the help.

2. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

If you don't mind me asking, what did the blast job cost? How many layers of paint were there?

3. Do not apply filler to the bare metal. We have since learned that the polymers in the bondo will slowly erode the metal and cause the filler to fail. Use a primer/sealer first. This will seal the metal from the polymers.

4. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

filler over primer/sealer as filler pourous and will eventually lift from even micro-moisture.

5. dirtfan50

dirtfan50
    from Kentucky

I have filled over sealers for years and never a problem.

Just my 2 cents.

6. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Dupont 789 is good stuff. You can fill right over it with no problems. Unless you cut through the 789 when working the Rage I wouldn't worry about spot priming. If you do need to spot prime I,ve had good results with SEM primer in spray cans. You can find it at most body shop supply stores. Have your painter spray a coat of sealer over all before he shoots the color.

7. usmile4

usmile4

I have some SEM self etching primer for when I was working on another car.