Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight pipes on a chevy 350?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jschupp12, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Try a pair of Porters... http://www.portermufflers.com/

I don't see how you could power time your motor or catch valve train troubles with straight pipes...

I once tried it with my Poncho 462. I fired the car up with just one side straight, ran it for 5 seconds and proceeded to re-install the muffler.. Small motor guys might get away with it but forget it with a big motor...

2. Lild

Lild

When I bought my current d.d., 70 chevy truck with a 350, it had straight pipes on it. I changed them the very next day. You will not be happy with no mufflers or baffles. My son and I had to yell at each other to be able to hear each other on the trip home.

3. Your 350 doesn't need back pressure any more than I need an abscess. If it doesn't have much compression ( like say above 10:1) it is going to sound like an old tractor. Longer pipes sound a little better but still sound like crap unless your engine is moderately built. Run a pair of glass packs if you must make some noise.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

A friend of mine runs a built up 350 through unmuffled lake pipes on his 57 wagon. It sounds good and it's something you can live with for around town driving, but if you hammer it, it's LOUD. He's had that set up for like 5 years, and no trouble with the cops. He also saved money by not instaling a radio, you couldn't hear it anyway!

5. Just put some PORTERS on it and be happy

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Install some cutouts so you can have both! Electrics if you want to make it easy to open/close, or cutouts out the side for easy manual opening.

7. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I've had The same Cherry bomb mufflers on my 39' w/350 (2" exhaust) for 22 years...each year, they sound better!

Beware of the HAMB "Click" that think they can "NAZI" this site with their comments.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I just had an exhaust put on my 265. I want porters but coudn't afford them just yet so I had 1.75" pipes ran straight out the back. If you can afford them I'd run porters or Brockman Mellowtones but the porters are little expensive so save up before you cheap out and buy some crappy ones.

I actually think my 265 sounds pretty good from what I heard.

9. lawman

lawman

I'm like,Soooooo glad that I didn't ask that question !!!!!LOL

10. Jschupp12<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7052243", true); </SCRIPT>
    FNG

JSCHUPP12,
    I ran 28" red hots from flowtech on the Pusher. 2.5" from the header back, sounded good and was a good match for my engine setup. if you are running a stock 350 you may want to drop down to 2" or 1.125" but 2.5" exhaust is usually a good size for a larger small block.

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Porters, real mellow but bark like a junkyard dog when you put the hammer down.
    Paul

12. Retrorod

Retrorod

My son has a 383 SBC in his chopped shoebox and he did the straight-pipe thing.

Now three years later he is re-doing the exhaust because it really sounded like crap and he is tired of his wife & kids bitching about how awful it sounds.

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

Cherry bombs or a set of California glass pacs if you can find them,.Porters are good but overpriced kinda like Thrush mufflers are for the muscle car guys.

14. 48buickkid

48buickkid

I keep hearing about porters what is the general tone they put out? mellow or snappy? Wondering the same about smithys. Looking for a muffler that does its job but keep the snappy rap sound.

15. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Nothing says hillbilly hoopty like a stock SBC without mufflers....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  16. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

thats for sure bill sill lol

17. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

My cad 390 sounds pretty decent with 2" straight pipes.

I knew it.

18. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

I really liked my Brockman Mellowtone steelpacks.

19. Another bad quality sound vid, but here is my Merc, 350 SBC, cammed, headers, 2.5 duals, flowmasters, dumped right at the rear. Sounds great. open pipes in a low compression sbc sounds horrid. only a race car with 13:1 has that crisp mean sound through open exhaust....

[​IMG]

20. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Go to Youtube and search "1948 Ford Coupe Continued" and you can hear a 350 with Flowmaster 40's.

21. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Buick Kid- you can hear a variety of cars that are Porter Equipped on our website at www.portermufflers.com

They have a deep throaty rumble and when you get on them, they Bark!

Thanks for asking about them.

22. The Porters might be higher in price but they are made to last forever.. You have to see them to believe them, a true work of art!

If you can't afford the Porters then you might want to look into the Thrush Glass pack. They are made just like the old Walker Continental but are red. They have a perforated core which is suppose to flow better then the louver style..

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

threads old, but whatever. my trucks running open headers right now while i work on the body and suspension. i have a lumpy crane cam in it, sounds sweeeeeet at idle. driving down the road is miserable, and i love loud shit, my diesel has a straight 4 inch to 8 inch mitre stack. the 350 open headers will drive you insane unless you have a damn fine motor

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Zoomies through the hood. ALL the COOL Hambrs are doin' it. Must be about time for another "Thumpr" thread...

25. Arieldouglas

Arieldouglas

Only thing worse than a SBC with straight pipes is one of those damn Cummins Dodges with the mandatory I can't get it up without help megaphones!

26. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

its been overdone.... sounds like crap!

27. Yes wack straight pipes on but make them out of copper then you can really shit everybody.. LOL

28. Deuces

Deuces

I spewed my drink all over my keyboard reading this one.... Hahahahaha!... :D:D:D

29. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

I have 12'' cherry bombs on my 56 and I love the sound

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The first sentence of this post contains some very sound advice...