Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just got a Hopped up Olds 303 motor, need some help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Pete

Pete

A pal called me last week asking if I wanted any "old" motors.......yes I do!

One of the motors appears to be an Olds 303 but....it has a 4" bore and #16 heads. It appears the heads have been worked over, ported and BIG valves, it also has these weird bee-hive shaped valve springs. The exhaust ports on the heads are huge, like 324's.
    I also noticed the block doesn't have the screens on the bell-housing shelf. IT looks like the motor was run once and there was some valve train trouble because a handful of the lifter cups broke through the retainers and were taped to the oil fill tube, this thing looks pretty damn new inside. The motor does have some history but im not sure what it is. It was purchased at the Tim Carrol barn auction some years ago, made its way into a dry heated garage where its been ever since.

Ill post some pics and numbers in a few minutes.

Pete-

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

I have a friend up here in Northern Mi.,.. He is THE BEST I have ever met with old Olds engines,... He has built a large number of Olds engines and is a expert on the J-2's P.M. me and I will give you his phone number tomorrow.

3. F&J

F&J

Sounds like an early 371; 4" bore with 16 heads. Check the stroke, 3-7/16" for 324 and earlier, 3-11/16 stroke for 371.

4. Dang, I need better friends!
    What are your plans for the olds?

5. Pete

Pete

Here a few pics, the heads have the numbers stamped near the valve cover surface, I couldn't find the stamped numbers on the block but it does have the casting numbers on the bell-housing deck.

The head number is # 16 heads with B010230 stamped in, the heads have 1.850 intakes and 1.550 ex. valves

The block doesn't seem to have any stamped numbers, I thought the numbers were supposed to be on the deck but it appears this has been machined.

Casting numbers on the deck are 573562 again it has a 4" bore.

Pete-

Attached Files:

6. Pete

Pete

The motor has a liberal coating of dust from sitting in the shop. The heads were never run, the valves are new, I think with a good cleaning she'll look tip top again.

It also came with all new lower end bearings, USA made to boot! He also gave me a '61 Caddy 390 thats already been hot tanked, there was nothing wrong with the engine but he just disassembled it to clean and inspect.....

Pete-

7. F&J

F&J

Again, check the stroke. I still think it's a 57-58 371. Looks like there is a groove down the center of the valley pan? that would be 56 and up.

Deck number was stamped in on driver side front, and could be seen between the front exhaust port and the center port if the head was on., yes it could have been decked off.

8. 56oldssuper88

56oldssuper88

I am thinking the same thing. Not an expert on the id numbers on these engines, but the casting number seems to indicate a 57 which would be a 371. The #16 heads are also 371 I believe. 4" bore is correct too.

9. Pete

Pete

Just measured the stroke....3 and 11/16

10. Pete

Pete

I forgot to mention the exhaust valves are stainless.

What makes a 371 a J2??

11. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Its a 371

J2 is the tri power option

Tony

12. F&J

F&J

The first 2 digits on casting numbers that I have owned, all have indicated the year; like "55" and "56" etc.

Like Tony said; tripower carbs. Most info on the web including hamb, say that a stock J2 had the 3 carbs, and a thinner headgasket. A few have said the J2 also had the extra capicity oil pan that has what looks like an oil filter can sticking out of the passenger side of the pan, but others say that all 57's had that.

Back to the valve train damage. You could have wrong parts, or too much lift causing spring bind. Many cams have untraceable numbers, so I would just measure what you have. All you need is a 0-100 thou dial indicator and a degree wheel, or print a degree wheel off the web.

Pull the valley pan and set up the indicator on a lifter. Get your total lift at lifter and multiply by 1.8 (rocker ratio). DON_WOW gave me the specs for max lift on 324's that have not been decked or shaved. I believe it was in the .580 range for piston clearance with stock pistons. I don't know about 371 clearance.

Rotate the crank clockwise when you check to see if it is a hyd or solid cam. As you come off of the base of the cam lobe, you will notice the indicator starting to show lift. A hyd cam will show a very slow rate of lift for maybe 2 to 4 thou, and then it will show a very rapid rate of lift. If you do it a few times, you can see it. A solid cam will have that first slow rate of lift for 10 or more thou, before going to rapid rate of lift. That low rate of lift "area" of the cam is called the "lash ramp"

I would check that because your motor is suspect from what you have said. Seems like they had problems right when it was built... It very well could have way too much lift for those springs, or could even be mismatched as far as a solid cam with hyd lifters, or vice-versa. Just because a motor does or doesn't have adjustable rockers, does not prove what type of cam they tried to use.

The degree wheel can also be used to get a rough idea of duration.

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

From your valve measurements, it looks like someone enlarged the intake seats and used 394 valves.

14. Pete

Pete

The valves are def. big! The ports have all been smoothed and slightly enlarged too.

Pete-

15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

on what makes a J2 its also the shim head gaskets. I think. been too long.

16. Pete

Pete

One more question....are the 324 and 371 intake manifolds different??? Will a 324 tri-power fit and work on a 371??

Pete-

17. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

J-2 or 371
    Manifold needs approx .125 machined off the intake flats to fit a 324 properly

I have seen many a manifold that the holes where butchered just to get the bolts In

Port alignment is only off a 1/4 inch when this is done way... Ok by some stds ...... Not mine

324 will need spacers to rise the manifold up approx same amount
    To work on a 371

Tony

18. Pete

Pete

Ok, so here's the deal. I currently have a 55 olds 324 in my coupe. If I wanted to run the 371 could I use the flywheel, tranny adapter and related parts. I have been taking measurements and it seems like the 324 is the same as the 371.....

The 371 Has a lot more Horse Power than the 324 and the car could use some more scoot!

Please advise...

Pete-

19. F&J

F&J

Not up on 371's but read on hamb that they are external balanced and you may not have a crank that is drilled for a standard shift pilot bushing ..there were some sticks in 57 up, but rare.

20. poorboy87

poorboy87

Hey thats my name and that was my dads name but with two ll's and we never owned any olds engines.

:D

21. Pete

Pete

Ok,

Hmmm, Im kinda wondering, if the flywheels are rare than how do you run a stick set-up on one that was originally an automatic?? I have NOS aluminum flywheel for a 324, how can I make this work?? Are the bell housings the same??

Pete-

P.s.

Where's ROSS!!!!

22. http://rossracingengines.com/

If you are interested in a J2 intake let me know. Heavier than a battleship anchor. But the real deal if that is what you want. Mine is wall art.

23. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I'm here
    If you send me the wheel , I have a fixture to install a weight for the external balance motors

Or I have new wheels

Give me a call

Tony