Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grundy Antique Auto Insurance Changes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Oct 21, 2011.

1. CruZer

CruZer

This is almost exactly what happened to me last September. My renewal date is Sept.4th but I got no bill from either my local agent or Grundy.
    I didn't realize this and forgot about it. On the 4th,I get a call from my local agent (in Mass. you have to have a Mass. certified insurance agent) that if I get right down there and give them the $$ I'll be all set. So I do. Then I get a cancellation notice from Grundy;I call them and it's all straighened out.
    I won't even go into the hassle over raising my cars value after a new paint job this year.
    I just checked my mail and in it was a notice of reinstatement of my insurance with Grundy .
    Go figure....... I gues what Jim says above sounds right. They must be in the middle of a reorg.

I was ready to blame my buddy Ed who had his '39 Chevy totaled last spring and Grundy paid up right away and took care of medical bills to. I thought he bankrupted them. :)

2. phat rat

phat rat

My policy has been with Philadelphia Indemnity for quite awhile. I called Grundy today after seeing this and was told they have been owned by Philadelphia for 5 years so really nothing new. I also called Philadelphia Indemnity and spoke with a lady there. She was very nice but it was a long wait on hold before she answered. She said the last two days had been very hectic I imagine due to this announcement. She of course was in no position to guarentee that everything would stay the same but saw no reason for it to change. Probably the reason some of you are not with Philadelphia is the fact that under a certain dollar amount of coverage Grundy assigned you to a different carrier

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Couldnt have said it any better

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Got notice with the renewal. My agent says things are 'in flux" but not to worry as his agency is on top of any changes. Film at 11:00:rolleyes:

Frank

5. ........That always makes me worry.:eek:

6. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Hmmmmm. Staying Tuned.

Signed: another Grundy customer

7. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Anyone here have Haggerty insurance? How is it? Maybe I need to change to them.

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Never a problem.

9. I price-shopped at one time and Haggerty was quite a bit more expensive than Grundy.

10. My agent started me with Haggerty then told me that he could get Grundy for a lot less and did. Been with them many years. No complaints but no claims so far.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Just wait, I receive a cancelation notice yesterday from Grundy. Called them this morning and discovered it was a mistake. They verified my policy was paid in full. They said they were influx and having problems.

I use to have Hagerty, but their prices were way up there. With Grundy, I pay half of what Hagerty charges.

12. ........I had the same experience.

13. butch27

butch27

Shit: I just paid them.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't think there is any reason for concern, it isn't like we who have Grundy don't suddenly have coverage or won't be able to renew. My card from Grundy also has Philadelphia as the name on it. I went with Grundy because I liked what I heard from Jim Grundy on those segments on TV with Dennis Gage, and they were about half of what Haggerty wanted.

Insurance companies are very tightly regulated so it isn't like we would all be caught with our pants down if we need to put in a claim, at least I sure hope so.

Don

15. cheveey57

cheveey57

Been with American Modern Home Insurance Company for about 15 years (with just the '57). At the time they were one of the few companies that took "Custom" classics. I have an agreed value and they are low in price compared to any of the big boys (haggerty and the lot) The one time I had to make a claim they paid out fairly and quickly.

16. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

Just renewed and paid in full. Haven't heard back, but will update anything weird.

17. billthx138

billthx138

I called Grundy a couple of months ago to add the Model A to my policy. Everything went fine over the phone and I then waited for the bill and insurance card. After a month went by I called to make sure that the Coupe was covered and was told that it was and that they were behind on billing, nothing about what has been discussed here. Anyway, another month goes by and I haul the coupe up to Washington, still under the assumption it is insured, and when I get back home the bill and insurance card was finally here. Anyway, alls well for now with the coverage, and I have been happy with them for the seven years I have been with them.

18. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

I just had a claim this summer with Grundy, and they paid in full, no problem with them, the body shop I would not use again...........:D

19. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

my hagerty ins is $591 per yr. agreed value of $30,000 (also expires next monday)

as i type this i am uploading pictures to collectorvehicle.phly.com
    from their site: Philadelphia Insurance Companies (PHLY) offers specialized Automobile Liability and Physical Damage insurance for the Antique and Collector Car industry through Grundy Worldwide.
    same coverage $291 per year.

20. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I insured the convertible with Grundy through an independent insurance agent in September for the first time. It took 2 weeks to get my cards etc. but all is well so far. My cards also have the Philadelphia company named on them.

48 Poncho

21. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

the fine state of michigan just added a $143 ''surcharge'' for the honor of NO FAULT INSURANCE...
    no one is ever at fault in mi.
    not the mayor of detroit, not the unions and certainly not the parents of the kids who won't learn.
    why wouldn't we want no fault ins. every claim goes against your insurance. even if you get rear ended :mad:

but $371 thru grundy's still beats $591 with hagerty.

22. I started with hagerty because at the time they were the only ones willing to insure classic/collector vehicles to someone under 21 years of age. but as soon as i could switch i did to grundy because the rate was far less for the same coverage. i still shop it every year before renewing

23. speedyg948

speedyg948

been wth grundy for a number of years ...never a problem...paid a claim on my 40 PU last year, estimate writer came to my house quickly,recieved a check after several days, all was smooth and easy

24. cheveey57

cheveey57

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  25. Yep-
    have had Grundy for a number of years, Philadelphia has been the listed insurer for quite some time...I've been fortunate...no claims so far.

26. Noticed the change iwth my renewal forms. They are all different. They also are jumbled...I called to get it straight and the guy told me I have to fill out a form and send it in to get THEIR mistakes fixed! I said, na, pass me up the food chain to somebody that realizes that customer is important. They have called me, but I have not returned the call yet. I have a couple more days to ponder itl Who is cheaper than Grundy? (same quality)

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

What I seem to be reading is that Grundy cannot at this time issue a policy on a collector vehicle only, they must have something else on the policy also, like a daily driver.
    I have had Grundy for 3 years now on the Maverick, and when we bought the Corvette in July we added it to the policy. I just recently sold that Corvette and bought another one, wife called them and had the policy changed over, and had no problems. They emailed us a card, it, like the Maverick card, listed Philly as the insurer.
    If you look at their website, along the left edge it has a list of their companies. Philly used to be there, it's no longer listed, not really sure why. Maybe Philly will cover existing policies written by Grundy until they expire , then you may have to change, who knows? I'm covered until June of next year, then I may look into the MVP policy they are advertising. Looks like a good deal, agreed value coverage on everything you own. I carry full coverage on all my vehicles, even my 87 Motorhome, so if their policy can save me some money and give me more for my dollar spent, it may well be worth it.....

28. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Heard that Gov. Snyder wants to do away with no fault insurance in Michigan. Was mentioned on TV that it was to be the topic of discussion on "To The Point", a program on a Grand Rapids TV station. I wasn't able to watch it. Anybody able to shed some light on the subject?

29. beckyatgrundy

beckyatgrundy

hi folks! it is true that our collector auto policies, previously issued under "Grundy Worldwide" are now being handled by the insurance company Philadelphia Insurance--- which is the insurance company Grundy Insurance (an agent) used for those policies.

As BamaMav posted, there has been is an active "non-compete" in 48 states. In MA and SC, nothing has changed. Business as usual. We hope the non-compete reversed, rescinded or expired. In the meantime, we are not able to write collector-car-only policies. They must be written in conjunction with other vehicles.

If you want to take advantage of our new Motor Vehicle Program (MVP), where you can cover ALL your vehicles with Agreed Value coverage, please call us 800-338-4005. A new business representative can start a quote for you and/or answer any questions about the MVP. "We" haven't gone anywhere (Among the rest of the Grundy crew, Jim Grundy, Chuck Wasoski and I are all still in this office.... )

If you have any other questions (which I'm sure many of you do), please e-mail me [email protected] and I will do my best to get the answers to your questions. At this time, the best way to get to me is by e-mail. (I will do my best to check back here frequently; however e-mail is best: [email protected]. )

30. Becky, I'm having trouble reading your post, your avatar keeps pulling my eyes away... :)