Register now to get rid of these ads!

Head on crash @ 30 mph, I'm still here to tell you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Oct 24, 2011.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Friday morning I made a quick trip to the post office, the return trip was anything but quick.

I was on a 4 lane street (2 each direction). The street makes a bend from basically north/south to east/west with a side street entering from the outside edge of the bend. (Galena and Lindon for those familiar with Freeport) I was in the center north bound lane in my 50 Dodge 4x4 at about 30 mph, the other car was coming from the other direction at about the same speed. She turned towards the side street, not more then 20 feet in front of me. Her right front fender struck my truck at the center of the bumper at about a 20 degree angle from straight on. I slammed on the brakes, but really probably never even got to the pedal before impact. The impact stopped both vehicles and actually backed them up a little, there was about 10' between the two vehicles at their final resting place. Her 97 Chrysler Sebring was air bagged equipped with a shoulder belt. My truck has lap belts installed but it was not buckled. We both got out of our wrecked rides. She had a sore knee and I had a cut on my forehead (I think maybe my head hit the header above the windshield, the glass is still all intact. I got 11 stitches) and a sprained thumb on my right hand (from holding the wheel). We both made the trip to the ER. I got a CT Scan of my neck and x rays of my hand and the stitches. We were both treated and released.

Her car and my truck are both dead. I don't know where her car got towed to, but my truck is at home. The passenger side of the front bumper on my truck is pushed about 2 feet. The right frame is bent in at least 4 places between the back of the cab and the front bumper. The left side is bent in at least 3 places. The transmission case is broken, and I think the rear axle housing may be bent as well. The engine made contact with the firewall and bent the dist, and the valve cover on the driver side is against the battery, the condition of the motor is questionable. All 4 cab to frame mounts are twisted and pulled, but still intact. There is a 3" gap between the box and the back of the cab (used to be less then an inch in the center). There was a factory snow plow bracket on the front of the truck, it is broken in 4 places, and bent around the truck's frame.

At this point, I know the truck can be rebuilt, but I'm not sure the desire to rebuild it is present. It would be just as easy to build a different truck. I have found a 49 Dodge pickup and another 4x4 chassis, but with the title issues in IL these days, that adds another set of problems. At any rate, another major rebuild is not going to happen at the current time.

Pictures of the dead truck, and a couple from this past spring to give you an idea of how much it bent. I know I'm blessed o still be here. Gene

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

son of a bitch! glad to hear your ok!

3. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

WOW!!! Glad you are still with us

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

that really sucks, but its great that your ok to play another day!!

5. 1959apache

1959apache

that sucks, but it could have been a lot worse. Heal up then consider rebuilding. Don't make any immediate decisions about it right now

6. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Sorry to hear about the truck! But it could've been a lot worse, especially given the lack of a seatbelt. Glad you're still around to talk about it.

Give it a few days to sit while you heal up and feel better before you decide what to do. Even if the frame is too badly bent up to be easily repaired, it looks like you still have plenty of useable parts to put toward fixing up another pilothouse...

7. Big Tony

Big Tony

WOW, glad your ok. Killer looking truck and sorry for its misfortune

8. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Sorry to hear about the truck Gene. Glad to hear your ok.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You're lucky! Using that seat belt might have made lessened your injuries though.

10. Glad to hear you're OK, sorry for your truck though,like the guys say,give things a few days before you decide on it's fate......

Seat belts are one of the things that I don't care if they're 'traditional' or not,seeing your truck has seriously made me reconsider fitting 3-point belts to mine......

One TV car show guy here said if a steel spike came out the steering wheel instead of an airbag,people might drive a little more carefully....

11. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Really, I think just having the lap belt always bugged me a little when I drove this truck, but I think I would have worn the belt more if it would have been a shoulder/lap belt.

As far as the truck is concerned, right now, I need to replace it with a daily driver (I'm borrowing a truck for now) and I have the coupe in progress that needs to be finished before I could get to this rebuild. Another issue with repairing the truck is it doesn't fit in the shop, I'd have to do everything outside. The very earliest that could even happen would be spring. The truck isn't going anywhere very soon, so time might be on its side.

I was pretty stiff yesterday, but felt much better today. Gene

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Glad to hear you are ok. Get back in the saddle and build a new one! Gary

13. that truck absorbed a big hit, happy to see your ok. what chassis was it on?

14. steves29

steves29

Save enough to transform that 49 into your 50.( vin areas etc ). Title problem solved.

15. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

man - that is no good. Hope the inspiration to get on the road is with ya again soon

16. RAY With

RAY With

Glad to see you walked away. Not every one is so lucky and looking at the truck pictures it can be fixed if its your choice to do so.

17. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Although it sucks maximum ass that the truck bit the dust , I'm glad to see your still around , and have a positive attitude about a no doubt negative situation , good for you , hope to see the Dodge goin' again...

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

That's a bummer ,When it sinks in ,start looking for a new frame .

19. lukey

lukey

Man that sucks! Glad you are ok, vehicles can always be replaced. People cant

-LUKEY-

20. Jimm56

Jimm56

Idiots in cars (sadly shakes head) that never learned to drive. Was she on her cell?

Get well soon, head injuries are nothing to fool around with.

Hope she had insurance. It should pay for a rental for you to drive whie anyway. It should also pay YOUR appraised value for your truck.

21. skull

skull

glad you are ok.

wow, it did hold up well.

if that ever happens to mine l hope it lets me walk away like you did.

l put lap belts in, but l may put in 3 way belts now :eek:

heal and get better, make her pay to fix or replace your truck.

well wishes,

Later:cool:

22. sorry about the truck glad you are ok

23. make insurance pay for the rebuild
    it wasnt your fault
    tk

24. squirrel

squirrel

wow, bummer. At least you survived mostly intact.

I wrecked my truck several years ago, it's back together, but not back on the road yet. There's a mental challenge there, along with all the physical work.

25. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

damn, glad you are ok. lost a best friend in a head on collision.

26. metalix_421

metalix_421

glad you are ok

27. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Glad you are ok!

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Glad to hear you got thru that one OK Gene...but not without scratches, at least nothing on you got broken...truck looks hurt bad but I'd hate to see what that new car looks like...bet it's worse...

Put it aside for now...maybe later you can find a similar 4 x4 and move parts around...

R-

29. that is a shame -that was a cool truck too glad you werent seriosly hurt

30. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Man, hate to hear about your truck. Glad youre OK. Looks like all that old iron saved your bacon, you may OWE it a rebuild.:)

Again, glad youre OK.