Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Throttle Gal Doni's '59 Chevy Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doni, Oct 23, 2011.

1. This project has been brought up by a few of ya'll, and SafariWagon has been bugging me to post pictures of this project... So, here we go. :)

This is how the car looked when the former owner had it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the car coming home. The buddy of mine towing the car is the friend who gave me the rest of the car, as he only needed the front clip for his.
    [​IMG]

The car has some issues, but is very repairable. Most of what you see was just clutter and results from trees falling on it:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. My favorite year! Keep the updates comin..

3. The dash project came after emptying the interior, of all the nastiness and interior, which was mostly ruined from the tree and the weather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is silver again! :)
    [​IMG]
    Cluster had been removed, cleaned, and I removed the green plastic over the signal lights and replaced with purple plastic from a notebook cover. But you can't see that in the pics. The high beam indicator is also purple instead of red.
    [​IMG]
    The Lions (yeah, I'm from Detroit) were playing, so while I watched the game, I hand painted all the faded orange gauge elements pink. Oh, did I mention it is glow in the dark florescent pink?
    [​IMG]
    Then, my buddy John Harrow stopped by to drop some lines on it. :) The finished product is amazing, but I am gonna tease you with that one.
    [​IMG]

Next up on the list is to start patching the floors, and pick up the new front fenders so we can reassemble the front end. I would rather have to find a front end for my favorite car for a few hundred bucks (at most) then to have to buy a whole car. This is the hard way to build a car, but hot rodding shouldn't be a millionaires hobby. I can do this as I have the time. And since my hubby doesn't mind teaching me how to weld, and we have aTON of metal.. this is gonna be awesome. ;)

4. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Cool project! Love the pinstriping!

5. Please note. I preformed all the paint work, with exception to the pin-striping myself. This is MY labor of love. Unfortunately, since much of the time I was working alone in the shop, I couldn't get pics of me working... Hoping to have time this week to work on her, and start making floor patch patterns.

6. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

What's up with the '57 sedan body in the first pic?

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Great job so far sweetie! You're a lucky gal to have John laying some lines on your ride. He is totally AWESOME! Keep the updates coming.

8. Ha, I have no idea. I apologize, however that is at the former owners home. But, shows you are paying attention! :D Also, I think it is a '56... hubby has a 57 and these fins just don't look big enough ;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  9. Hey, LOVE your sig! I see what you mean!

10. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I can't see the back of the quarters on my computer screen, but, now that you mention it, I do notice a twin-hump, '55-'56 dash!

11. 1lowbuick

1lowbuick

looken great keep up on and dont get burnt out cuz i want to see it down stairs at the autoramma in feb:p

12. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I may have a speaker grill if you need one.

13. billys54

billys54

14. fbama73

fbama73

Looking good. Gotta love a '59 Bel Air!

15. Thanks for the offer, but that is one piece that is ok:) Got it hanging from a 400 small block along with the interior windshield trim freshly painted:)

16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Sweet!!! It's always good to see another 59 being saved.

Is the frame still good and solid?

17. Toner283

Toner283

Cool Project. Love the 59's.

I think I have a bunch of trim that will not fit my Elky if you need any.

18. The frame is still nice and solid, however the drivers side rear got crunched sometime long ago. I could actually use rear bumper brackets :) Oh, and I want to install a hitch on it, to pull the really cool old camping trailer I am going to find one day ;)

19. Thanks! I will keep that in mind. I am not into that part of the project yet, so not sure which way I am going to go. I like the Bel-Air trim, but if I go with straight scallops I may do away with the side trim. So many ideas and options with this car.

20. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

It's looking good keep up the great work.