Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torq Thrust II vs. Torq Thrust Vintage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lo-fi, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Lo-fi

Lo-fi

So this may be a stupid question. But I've researched it and can't find an answer. Can anyone tell me the difference between the American Racing Torq Thrust Vintage AR505 wheel and the TTII? I picked up a set of what I thought was TTII's on Craigslist. But upon closer inspection the wheels say AR505 inside of them. When I googled that it said they are Torq Thrust Vintage. I can't tell the difference. Is there even a difference?

[​IMG]

2. slepe67

slepe67

Spokes are more rounded???

3. VonKool13

VonKool13

I don't know the diff. but I know I would rather have OG American Torque Thrusts than re-pops!

4. metalman

metalman

I might be wrong but isn't the vintage one piece and the new ones 2 piece?

5. They sure look good on that 63.

6. The new ones 'can' be made with custom offsets.. aka two piece. I have them on my 55 now. I hated 'em as soon as I laid eyes on them. The common new TT are cast one piece. All vintage TT, are cast one piece(as far as I know).

7. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

So they are both cast one piece??

8. Yes, I've never seen vintage TT in a two piece configuration. I'm not the last word in Americans, but I've collecting them since the 80's.

9. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

This statement isn't even accurate, is it? American Racing made them back in the day and still makes them now, do they not?

10. Introduced in 1956

11. new style D' spokes(old D Spokes are also known as crowsfoot)

[​IMG]

Straight spoke old style

[​IMG]

12. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Sit down this is going to be hard there made in China. I know it just wrong

13. I bought the TTII's shortly before they started production in China... and from what I've heard that the quality is still there! But what I've seen are a few Drag cars with broken wheels!

Something changed besides manufacturer location...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    Deuces and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  14. VonKool13

VonKool13

^^^^^My point exactly!

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

^^^^^^ You were expecting quality from China?

16. Put 15" chrome steel wheels on it..

17. Deuces

Deuces

.........;)

Attached Files:

18. skywolf

skywolf

The new Torque Thrust Original and the new Torque Thrust D are not the same as the original castings. There are a number of differences. The new Torque Thrust D looks nothing like the original. The curve of the spokes is totally different as is the lip on the rim. You can read about them on this link : Classic Racing Wheels.

P S Engineering make the closest copy you can get to the original Torque Thrust D. The new Torque Thrust II is modeled more along the lines of the Torque Thrust D with its curved spokes rather than the original straight spoke Torque Thrust wheel. Hope this helps a little.

Anything you need to know about Torque Thrust wheels can be found here : http://www.torquethrustcentral.com/

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  19. This thread has me completely confused.

Fortunateson likes this.
  20. The original Torq Thrust had straght spokes. The "D" (made to clear disc brake calipers on the then-new Vettes) had curved spokes. These were the wheels made in the 60s. Now thay have various re-pops.

21. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

If you are looking for old style torq thrust wheel take a look at these from team 3 wheels. Fronts are 4.5X15, rears are 7X15 w/ 4" back space. Straight spoke round profile.

P6051869.JPG

22. 1934coupe

1934coupe

X2 thats what I noticed

23. They also still make the good ones with the sharp edge spokes. They call them ET Classic Five, as narrow as 15x4.

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

"old style" Torq-Thrusts had straight spokes but not a round profile.

Don't believe me? Check out the info and pictures here:

http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/#TT

25. I have some magnesium TT, with straight round spokes. So I know they made them. I usually notice the vintage aluminum straight round spoke configuration on the Non-Chevy applications. There's a lot of different styles that were made, in the original vintage ARE TT

26. deucemanab

deucemanab

I have ttii on my 32 sedan, my problem is keeping them polished

27. I remember being really fond of "completely polished" Vintage TTs. It meant there was a lot of time involved, to achieve that look. They do oxidize after awhile, but when they're polished and buffed out "flickering" in the light.. I still think that's cool!

28. Terry R Vaughan

Terry R Vaughan
    from wash state

[SIZE=+1][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] I have been buying - selling - working on 60's 70's aftermarket wheels for well over 30 years and own a lot of Original wheel company literature that I use in my business. I do not talk about wheels that I have not had in my hands;
    The first American Racing ALUMINUM Torque Thrust wheels came out in 1965. There where 5 different sizes 14x 6 & 7 inch and 15 x 6 - 7 & 8.5 all five came in 5 lug patterns only 5 on 4.5" - 4.75" - 5" & 5.5". In the 60's there wasnt anything added to the name. Just Torque Thrust. 1965 catalog / price list dated 1 Feb 1965 .
    The wheels where one piece cast aluminum and had American Racing Torque Thrust - size & offset cast into back of the wheel. The exception to that is
    A) The first 14" (6 & 7") wheels came with round spokes. This was changed to straight spokes in 1966.
    B) The 15x6 was always called Sportwheel "NOT" Torque Thrust
    The 1966 A (dated 1 Jan 66) catalog has the American Racing Aluminum Torque Thrust "D" in 15 x 6" & 7" and thats the only 2 sizes made.
    The American Racing one piece cast Aluminum Torque Thrust "D" ( VN105D & VN605D ) that came out in 1988 and is made today " IS NOT " the same wheel as the 60's wheel. ** You can not get different back space on the one piece cast wheels because it would require a 2nd mold and they are not cheap.
    The Torque Thrust II has a cast center section welded into a Billet outer and that's why you can get different back spaces. The spokes on the TT II are different than the new TT "D"
    The TTO which stands for " Torque Thrust Original " VN109 TTO and VN309 TTO " IS NOT " an exact match to the 60's wheel. The center cap has a larger base diameter than the 60's wheel. There is no bevel between the outer barrel and the spokes. Old wheels used shank lug nuts. new wheels use conicle seat lugs. The 15x8.5 TTO has the same outer lip as the New TT "D" and its not even close to the 60's 8.5 lip.
    Advertiser's did a good job of confusing people that really dont know one wheel from the other by using the words Original - Vintage - Nostalgic.
    I have a lot of pictures names and sizes of 60's - 70's wheels on my web page www.torquethrustcentral.com I hope this helps with some of the confusion. Terry [/FONT][/SIZE]

wicarnut, deucemac and bowie like this.
  29. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's some pics I took of the American Racing Wheel display at the NHRA museum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  30. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's a pic of my 15 x 4 magnesium Americans

[​IMG]

and the 15 x 6 Ansen "Top Eliminator" on the rear

[​IMG]

Here's BAD PENNY's new ETs, a dead nuts copy of the 15 x 4 magnesium American

[​IMG]

Here's my 15 x6 American "Sport wheel" and the 15 x 8.5 "Torq Thrust" These are
    aluminum.

[​IMG]

Don't try to convince me that TTIIs and TTOs are "vintage" :eek:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011