Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 ford front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jscott183, Oct 23, 2011.

1. jscott183

jscott183
    from Fox Ok

ok folks I know alot of you guys throw out the original front suspension and go with a mustang 2 set up on your rods. heres my question. I have a 1940 ford tudor sedan project and i was wondering instead of going to a mustang 2 front end is it possible to use the front end out of a 1990 firebird. I have an extra one sitting in my yard from my 91 firebird build and if possible to use it would have some money and clean up the yard some. i havent even looked at it yet to see if it would even be possible just a thought i had sitting here in my recliner. Give me your insights folks.

Thanks.

Jeremy

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

no, firebird has struts and would require a ton of work to get it to fit and work right.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Just please make sure you sell or donate that original front suspension. Don't "throw it out". Most of us here would use it and throw out the firebird stuff.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

And it would look ridiculous.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Build a good frontend setup using a dropped axle and all the other available hot rod parts for the 40's original front end, or sell it all to someone else and go with a properly designed MII kit.

Do not, and I repeat DO NOT try butchering and bastardizing it with the Firebird front end :eek:

6. If you are dead set on adding IFS a S10 will fit plus IMHO if its installed correctly it will drive & handel better than most MII setups.

Rick Erickson Extreme Kustoms

7. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Oh boy, here we go.

8. speedyg948

speedyg948

chassis engineering makes really good solid axle and MII front suspension kits for these cars,, i have the dropped axle setup in my truck and aside from a hard ride(which can be improved by eliminating some leaves from the spring) im really satisified.. if your short on welding skills ,their bolt in crossmember and MII kit cant be beat ,,,, ive heard nothing but good stuff about it and i think its fairly priced and their tech dept is really good..speak to jim or donnie ,they can help you with any questions you may have on either front end...good luck!

9. Old&Low

Old&Low

jscott83, I read your profile, looked at your album, and commend you on giving "a rust bucket a second chance." 1940 Fords are one of the most popular Fords around but, like all the other old Fords, the supply is limited! The other posters have been gentle with your Firebird front end idea but Dreddybear said it best: "Most of us here would use it (the original) and throw out the firebird stuff." Chassis Engineering like speedyg948 mentioned, among many others, will allow you to use the original, 'Traditional' front end and still have a smooth, responsive ride! My insight, tainted by forty years of blown Chevys, Vette IFS, etc tells me this is a bad idea; if you stick with the original frame, you can always change your mind. Whatever you go with, bolt it in rather than 'stub' something, or otherwise commit your '40 to the choice you make today. Good luck, hope you go with traditional.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My thoughts are to stay with an axle--can be made to ride and handle well-4" drop, split bones, sway bar,525 box and Ford spring with some leaves removed--usually have to make a new main leaf after bones are split to get the right angle on the shackles--39 1/2 eye eye as I recall

11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In todays world you can get a lot of bad info about how you should go IFE,but really whan adjusted as it should be,a stock front end can both ride and steer just fine.
    More that comeplan about how poor they,just never had it in good shape and ajusted as it should be.

12. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

I would stick with what you got. Don't believe the hype. Stock with very few mods, worked out great on the 39 and has an excellent ride.
    [​IMG]

13. George/Maine

George/Maine

I went with the Heights IFS,stock spindles in my 39 sedan.My plan was to go with parrelle rear springs with a 51 flathead and c4 combo.If you wanted to go back to orginal you could.Clips are nice good ride, but if not done right you have one piece of junk.The good your inner fenders still fit and can put back together just like stock.After this is done your engines are endless,nothing in way anymore.I have manual steering and just aim it goes good.I like it better then stock and has disk brakes,and granada rearend.This is not a cheap change,maybe better to leave it stock.

14. My '40 has a dropped '40 axle, split bones, low arch/reversed eye spring with teflon between the leaves, stock steering box. I have parallel leaves in the back with an 8", and I couldn't be more pleased with the car.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Call Chassis Engineering and get their catalog. After reading, decide which way you want to go (traditional w/solid drop axle) or independent. After deciding they will guide you as to what you need to buy. I've been involved in at least a half dozen builds with Fords of this era using Chasis Engineering components. All of the cars ride great, handle well, and look the part of a great hot rod. Their stuff is bulletproof and looks good.

Frank

16. jscott183

jscott183
    from Fox Ok

Thanks for all the replies even though most of them seemed a bit hateful. I was only wondering. I had planed on going with a mustang 2 front end and just seen the old pontiac setting outside and wondered hmm.. and all of you who mentioned that you would like the original set up if i threw it out. unfortantly there is no original suspension what so ever. i have the original frame and thats it. I currently have the car setting on a 1984 ford ranger frame in order to be able to move the car around. besides the body and some interior the only factory parts that are left of the car is the frame and the brake booster. I would love to build this car in to a clean sleek street machine nothing to radical where I could afford to drive it when ever where ever yet still mean enough i can still "play" with it from time to time. But I may be moving again soon and i really dont know if i want to try and move the car AGAIN. last time i crammed it in my u haul and packed around it but i dont know. Ive got so many projects and not near enough time to mess with any thing them and I really do not like have assing things. Id rather do it right the first time and not have to mess with it again. I have actually had the car for sale locally for about two weeks now just to see if id get any hits on it. mostly low ballers or scrap metal collectors. If i do part with the car i defintely will not let it go to some scrap pile. Its a piece of history that deserves to shine . Thank you to everyone on your input though.!!!

17. 55chevr

55chevr

I put a Heidt's M2 front end in my 40 Ford coupe. I used stock M2 suspension components, including M2 manual rack and 5 lug Mercury Monach front rotors. On a fat fender car you cannot see the front end and this setup drives and STOPs well.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nothing at all hateful about what I posted, just good solid advice.

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

this is the way to go