Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making your paint look old???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Did you own my car before I got it? Because I think that's what the kid who had it before me did!

2. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I'm pretty sure it's resurrect a 6 year old thread day. It always amazes me what some people will search and dredge up. What is more amazing is that they'll respond to it like the person just posted yesterday.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

This idea might work better with a 2012 Camaro or Challanger. Repaint it with red primer sealer, paint over the primer sealer in layers with different colors, sand in spots to reach various colors, satin clear coat. Wholla. Instant patina with faux look. Anf if you like the "tour de force" look, air brush simulated bird shit and rust in appropriate spots. You won't need a spoon to GAG yourself.

4. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

my car has a 40-50 yr old paintjob with spider cracks,chips,etc from old lacquer...and I would love to have mine painted..just cant afford it. I think its funny that people want to faux paint a car to look like it had old spider cracks

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Oh man....laughable how this stuff gets dredged up and people post without even realizing how old it is!
    Still...its fully alive now so why not just let it play out!

Given a chance a thread like this can offer some very useful info for anyone wanting to blend a new patch panel or door or something into an original vehicle.
    Sometimes its about preserving the history the old finish represents...but you just GOTTA replace that one part!
    A painted piece might stand out like a billet dash on the Spencer Roadster!!!
    I'd bet its more likely to be useful for that purpose than any all over job.

The Rolling Bones guys do a nice job on their cars. It's not even so much the body panels that you need to look at.
    The smaller mechanical bits like suspension pieces, brackets etc are works of art!

6. Yes, I know it's a six year old thread.

Yes, I want to add my two cents to it.

No, I don't care if you think that's stupid.

So...my two bits.... I love genuinely aged paint on old cars. My 66 F100 has textbook perfect patina that came from years of driving and love from the original owner (and by "textbook perfect", I mean that 90% of the original paint is in great condition but the other 10% is rubbed through where the old man put his arm on the door or leaned over the side of the bed)

But, fake patina is easily spotted by a real car guy and looks, well...fake.

Genuinely worn old paint reminds me of a legit old bomber jacket, while fake patina reminds me of a spray on tan or a wannabe cowboy wearing boots with little metal tips on the toes.....just doesn't look right.

7. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

8. Noname38

Noname38

X3 but this thread is gay.

9. erlomd

erlomd

it probably has real patina by now anyway, if left under a tree and let rot away!

10. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

11. Over 14 years before this thread was started I apparently wasted a whole lot of time and money repairing rust and giving my car a nice paint job and a new interior. Even though it was painted in lacquer, other than a few cracks here and there after 20 some years it still doesn't look like a POS. Guess I need to get into a few minor accidents and park over it at the coast so I can have a really cool car.

Or not.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  12. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Try Ajax or similar scouring powder. Use it with a soft cloth. Leaves no noticeable scratches and can be polished out with little effort when you get tired of the dull look.

13. Gayer than two boys in one sleeping bag.

14. Crash Fistfight

Crash Fistfight
    from southside

Funky faux patina:

[​IMG]

15. Ultimate Patina:

Just put on some chrome aircleaners, load it on a trailer and haul it around to car shows.

[​IMG]

16. jipp

jipp

i do not have a issue leaving the car how you found it.. with the logic one day ill paint it... or like the 32 post the other day has to be the best example of a 32 hotrod iv seen.. he is leaving the old rusted patina on it and the car looks great.. my dad is another guy who likes the looks of the old patina...

me im on the fence.. but in my mind it would get a primer coat at least.. im not into whole fake finish thing.. iu do understand wanting a few pieces to match the old paint.. and anyone who bitch's about that is gonna bitch about anything you do..

so in the end what do you like.. if my dad bought me a shell to work with out of respect if the patina was in good shape, and body good too.. i would leave it and redo it later on.. but my dad and i would have to come up with a compromise.. and it would be simple.. some clear coat over the old patina to keep it from getting dirt/rust all over my white T hshirts when i am going out for a dinner date or something.. where showing up in rusted spots would not look to good to the blond withe the big blues eye, drools.

who is given credit for the first faux finish? dose anyone know? was it a counterfeiter? or maybe a thief trying to hide his bounty.. or just a bored out of his mind body man..

my guess lies more in the lines car crash came in customer did not want the whole car done cause he like the warn in finish.. he owned the car since new each each of the flaws ment something to him.. so please just match up the damage spots to match the cars old paint.. maybe it was a plastic model maker.. i could let my mind wonder all day.. thanks for a interesting topic.. always wonder about it my self..
    i like simple paint colors.. and people call me generic =l

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

17. Yeah, I was thinking that if the OP had painted his car when the thread was started he'd be well on his way to a nice patina looking car by now.:rolleyes: Two years ago I was considering a patina look, even tried a few spots and it looked halfway decent. And then alot of people started calling it a r*t r*d. As you can see from my Avatar it is not. So when I had the funds and the time I painted it nice and shiney. I'm very glad I did.

18. yardgoat

yardgoat

A friend of mine had his car painted red,he cleaned his chrome wheels with a brillo pad and liked it so much he did the whole car. this is true. The car looked like it did before paint.He didnt drive it for 2 months savig up for a repaint..................YG This was 30 yr ago

19. yardgoat

yardgoat

12-1-2005 l o l ...................yg

20. dmikulec

dmikulec

1) Open field
    2) Bright Sunlight

Park car in field and wait ten years for mother nature to do the rest.

And after five years, hey - you're half way there! :rolleyes:

21. theczking

theczking

Pretty sure beauty is only skin deep. turn yourself inside out I'll bet your not that cute on the inside

22. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

Do like I did. Just buy one that has been sitting for 5 years outside with a fallen tree on it. Whole lot less time in the planning stage when you find the right one!

23. hobbs53

hobbs53
    from leo, In.

Here's what 52 years of California and Texas sun does for 'ya.......going to try and leave this as long as I can. The surface rust is EVERYWHERE, with some spots a little rough......

before front right.jpg

dropped 4.jpg

before front left.jpg

24. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Mine sat outside for who knows how many years, but a frame off rotisserie build brought it back to life. Not much paint left anymore. Fake patina looks...fake.

[​IMG]

25. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

so I noticed this thread was started in 2005. Back then people were calling it gay, and a fad. But funny how six years later flat paint is still "in"... and to the people saying well leave it outside for 40 years thats how I did it.... your an idiot. You really want me to park my project outside for 40 years then get back to finishing the build? F that! I guess the flat/fauxtina paint jobs is more of a tribute to the old? not trying to say hey look at this car I just drug out of the barn..... if they were trying to fool you would they have said it's a patina paint job?

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

About as cool as FAKE Olds valve covers on a SBC. You can't buy old.... your car earns it. If that's what you want.

And I'm pretty sure people didn't intend for a person to leave thier car outside for 40yrs. I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm.

27. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

No, it's not.

Fake is lame, period.

This is a board for traditional rods and customs. The guys who came before you, me, or most other folks on here worked their ass off to have a damn nice car.

Making a paintjob look shitty on purpose is the exact opposite of that.

Those cars only had primer to cover the bodywork until the guy could afford a good paintjob.

Maybe you would be happier over at some rat rod message board because clearly, you just don't get it.

Shawn

28. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

I'm not sticking up for painting rust on or bird crap on a car but I am sticking up for flat paint jobs. I restore cars for a living and can certainly appreciate the work that goes into painting a car nice and pretty. But I really like the look of an old faded paint job. Now eventually those cars are going to run out or if I can't afford one of those original survivor rods how do I achieve the look of a traditional survivor?! I paint it flat. Variety is the spice of rodding. We all cant drive shinny black roadsters.... To each their own.

29. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I miss the dryer sheet thread.

30. scottlep

scottlep

The "sand thru the top coat to expose another color to make it look old" trick never looks good. How many old cars with original paint/patina do you see where this has happened naturally? When I see one of these fake jobs I always think to myself "boy that looks fake".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.