Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead V8 and Hydramatic tank engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym49, Oct 22, 2011.

1. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

2. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

3. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

O yeah, it came out of a 43 Stuart Tank I pulled it !!!!!!!

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Well , that is a fine-looking piece and I don't understand why everyone is not all over it. Is that a Caddy motor?

5. havi

havi

I'd be on it if I wasn't so far away.

6. rschilp

rschilp

Looks like a Caddy motor to me.. I've got a post war one from a caddy sitting around trying to sell it in the classifieds.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Be careful, they made Caddy V8s and Hydramatics for tanks but they were modified in many ways that make them unsuitable for car use and many parts are exclusive to the tank engines and do not interchange with car parts.

8. hudsy-wudsy

hudsy-wudsy
    from MN

Yes, of course it's Cadillac. They used twin Cad V8s in the tanks through out WW II. The funny thing about them is this: I can recall one of the old-timers who hung around my older brothers gas station in the sixties telling a story about how a buddy of his bought a number of these Hydramatics at what they used to call a "war surplus auction". (He apparently thought he could makes real money on them). That didn't turn out to be case, however, when he found out that none of them had reverse installed in them. If this tale is true, then a guy can only speculate about the reasons. Maybe the track drive wasn't suitable for backing up -- like something to do with idlers, boogies, slack and such. I suppose that when a guy knew how to operate a tank, he "could turn it on a dime". (Although it would be a twenty five foot dime!)
    Can any of you guys confirm that this is the case?

9. Now I'm going to say something that is NOT politically correct, but something my Dad used to say (he was a Yank in WWII):

He said the only WWII tanks that had reverse and backup lights belonged to the French! :D

No harm intended French HAMBers - this thread just reminded me of his old saying (don't shoot the messenger)!

10. caddydave

caddydave

The Stuart tank had reverse in the steering unit. The transmissions themselves did not have reverse. It uses two of these engines side by side, if one engine quits or has mechanical issues, you can disconnect that side and still drive the tank using the remaining engine.

Dave

11. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

What were the internal engine differences that made them unsuitable for the street?

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Nothing- absolutely nothing!

Many cars have tank blocks in them- all the internal parts interchange. Some of the dizzies were different, as the military ones had mechanical tacHs. Some intakes differed, as the generator drive ran under them.Generators, starters(24v) and some external parts differed.

The blocks all interchange with civilian blocks. I don't know about the trannies.

The Burrell 2x2 intake was developed by Frank Burrell, for military use. His son Barry now produces the same intake, in aluminum, for hotrods.

If I lived closer, I'd grab that engine for a project I have in mind!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011