Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Ford Falcon Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62FalconJunker, Oct 21, 2011.

1. I'm starting my build on my 62 4 door Falcon finally. I want to keep with the straight 6 family of motors, but I dont know what size enigine I want. I was thinking a 200 or a 250 with a ported and polished aluminum head. Transmission wise I want to run a c4, but anything that will work will please me. I'm keeping a stock clean look, but a bigger engine than my current 144. I dont want to chop into it too much or do anything too insane; the clean lines of the falcon are the reason I love it and bought it anyway. Any help, advice, comments or questions on it will be helpful.

Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Good way to go! I have a 200 / C4 combo going into the girlfriends '62 wagon right now. It's the easiest combo to find, and drops right in with out issue. There are a couple of threads here that you need to know about- Falcons done right, and Doing falcons right. fordsixperformance is a great websight for these cars too.

3. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

#1=Here - start with this book - it is $20..

Seems like every Falcon site mentioned it when I got interested in these cars, and they are right - great "6" swapping reference...

You can order from 2 Falcon places:
    http://www.falcon6handbook.com/

Or just google it if you don't get the link right.

#2=Search, "Falcon" on this site - you won't believe the "hot rods falcons done right" thread is!
    And there's WAY more actual Falcon building/restoring knowledge here than any of the "Falcon" forums.

4. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

A 250 is hard fit, I had to notch the rad support on my '65, move the rad forward and use an electric fan. I used C-4.

Fordsix.com is your best friend, next to the HAMB, that is.

5. What exactly did you do to fit it because if I can find a 250 that'll be my first choice.

6. boojoe

boojoe

I have a 62 2 door wagon with a 250 in it with a c-4. I had . to notch the radiator mount move the radiator to the front as the 250 uses a bigger water pump! I am also using an electric fan I have a c-4 and I used a custom mount from Dearborn classics .Fairly simple swap to figure out

7. x2 on the ford falcon performance hand book. I'm running a 200 with a C-4 in my comet wagon. I'm using the clifford exhaust port divider, a weber DGEV carb, mild cam, and a dura spark dizzy fired by an MSD box. I know these mods are not considered to be traditional, but it makes for a peppy engine that can get out of its own way. It sounds like you know all about classicinlines.com with your mention of the aluminum head. They look like a nice way to go, but if you come across a decent iron head you can still build a nice little engine with out spending a whole lot. The 250 can be a tough fit. It is taller, longer, and uses a small block style bolt pattern. I love sixes but you do get to a point with them where you could have a nice 289 for the same amount of money.

8. 62rebel

62rebel

the 250 will require that you use a C4 and will need body modifications to fit it in. there's no great advantage in using a 250 over a 200 and plenty of disadvantages in extra labor involved.
    beware of doing drops with Falcons as there is a limit on how far the driveshaft can go up into the tunnel before you'll have to start cutting into the rear tunnel.
    if you're sticking with steel wheels, find a set of 14" 4-lugs from a Mustang so you can get a better ratio on the rear end without changing the axle.
    the two big Falcon threads are a pain in the ass to read through but contain a lot of examples of what we're telling you.

9. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

You added pictures - cool.
    Man, that is just a NICE, nice car.

===

10. RAY With

RAY With

The best is go with the 200 and if you want more power install a 302 as its a lot easier to do the 302 than the 250 longer motor as I SEE IT.

11. 62rebel

62rebel

that really is a beauty... love those roundbodies.

12. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

250 into a round body

The Radiator clearance is very tight

The Starter interferes with the Center Steering Link and the Link will probably hit pan if engine is lowered

if you dont lower the engine the extra height of motor
    you will have a hard time fitting a air cleaner

early round bodies have small transmission hump 63 is the biggest trans tunnel

to modify floor for trans clearence Big hammer or cut and modify
    that is what i can think of as now

alot of info on http://fordsix.com/forum/
    the 200 is the easest swap

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

my first real car was a white 63 W/a 200-4 speed out of a 66 stang,man it was a fun car for a 14yr old kid,,i named it "chatcha"

14. Adrian Rollini

Adrian Rollini

I put 59 caddy light on my 62 I get compliments all the time. There is a thread on the HAMB entitled Falcons done right. Check out that thread its awsome. I got some of my Ideas from that thread.

15. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

I think the 200 is easier but I had a 250 in a donor car. I used a 1989 Thunderbird 3.8 starter to clear the drag link. My car was lowered with blocks and custom springs from coilsprings.com. I was about 2-3" lower. No bumpsteer issues.

Attached Files:

16. I found my 200 and some new steelies now to find a c4