Register now to get rid of these ads!

cooling problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39RatRod, Oct 22, 2011.

1. 39RatRod

39RatRod
    from NH

I am having trouble with my truck puking coolant. i have a radiator from a 61 scout hooked to a 350 chevy with an electric fan that is key on. Temp runs around 180-195 by the guage, but I keep getting fluid gushing from the overflow tank and sometimes under the radiator cap. Any help solving this would be great.
    Thanks

2. dcwest32

dcwest32

new cap and don't overfill it ,leave room for expansion,,,just cover fins in top tank , good luck

3. That's the trouble with ratrods.
    Let it puke up whatever it needs to. The cooling system is now at its full when hot level.
    That's barring issues like head gaskets ext.

4. 39RatRod

39RatRod
    from NH

What would be a good PSI cap?

5. also, make sure your thermostat has a air bleed hole in it (if it dosen't you can drill one with an 1/8th drill bit).

If it does not have a small bleed hole, on some engines it can create puking when warming up.

6. 39RatRod

39RatRod
    from NH

rustyironman, I have change thermostats twice, now I have the one from my race motor(no guts)just a restrictor to slow the flow, race car never got hot. I seem to be building to much presure in the system and the thing pukes coolant.

7. Did you check for combustion gasses in the coolant

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

you might be getting localized hot spots causeing boiling in small areas so it pukes but doesnt show running hot. Re check timing and carb to make sure.

9. 39RatRod

39RatRod
    from NH

junk yard kid, it starts good cold and at temp, plugs are a golden brown color so its burning everything it gets.
    31vicky, how do I check for that?

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

To check for combustion leak take the over flow hose stick in a bucket of water. Run it untill it gets good and warm look for bubbles coming up in the bucket.

11. powers524

powers524
    from mesa

its sounds like a headgasket iv bin a tec 4 about 11 years and seen this about 100 times smell the coolent if you smell exaust there you have it,,,

12. Cerberus

Cerberus

Give us a little history. Did the cooling system start puking after you changed something? Has it always puked coolant since you owned it?

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

huh?

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

iv bin a tec 4 about 11 years............. fuckin awesome.

I dont believe you.

15. If the temp holds, it sounds like head gasket issues/combustion pressure making into the water jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!