Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Dodge Businessman Coupe - Grill Ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37 Dodge Rod, Jan 15, 2011.

1. 37 Dodge Rod

37 Dodge Rod

Hi,

I have a '37 Dodge BCoupe with Chevy Small Block that I am making into a streetrod from a 60's dragster.

I have the grill inserts, but not the D-shaped pot-metal molding. Considering the prices for pitted pot-metal D's, is there another year grill that would work or a Plymouth grill that would fit without major modifications?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Grilleguy

Grilleguy

The '37 Plymouth trim rings are close, but not exact because the center of the grilles are different with the Dodge having 2 sheet metal "bars" as part of the shell with a third center grille and the Plymouth was one big grille with a separate center trim overlay.

3. 37 Dodge Rod

37 Dodge Rod

So, would a '37 Plymouth grill would work or do we also need to get the Plymouth shell?

Thanks,
    Sam

4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

can i ask?what does a 60s dragster and street rod have to offer for a 37

5. There is an aftermarket replacement avalible, but I cant for the life of me rerember who makes at. I just picked up a '37 dodge project myself. Mine is getting a 392 hemi and gasser treatment. Lets see some pictures of yours.

6. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am wondering this as well.

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Why not try to make a custom out of it?

8. Grilleguy

Grilleguy

You would have to change shells to use the '37 Ply grille insert. I believe that the hoods are different as well. The fenders are the same between '37-'38 Dodge & Ply, so you wouldn't have to change them.

9. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

check out randy peres car... hes got a lesalle grill in his... one of my club members in the style kings

10. Definately go Custom...:cool:

Pic courtesy of Rikster/Paul Kelly...

Attached Files:

11. 37 Dodge Rod

37 Dodge Rod

The car was used for drag racing ( I misspoke).WE now trying to make it into a street rod

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  12. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

A 37 Caddy Grille would look good.

Attached Files:

13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not redo it as a streetable drag car, even if just in looks. That word "Street Rod" scares me re where you might be headed with the build. How about some pics?

14. upinsmokebbq

upinsmokebbq

hey dodge rod, Ihave a 38 Bcoupe i just got a new/old grill shell and a really nice grill.
    the new grill has a rounded bottom on it and the one in my old shell has a kinda point to it on the bottom. my old grill will fit in my new shell so i'm selling the grill i just picked up. i tryed to fit it in the shell today . it was colse but i did'nt want to force it. give me a shout if your interested. thanks chris

15. 37 Dodge Rod

37 Dodge Rod

Hi Upinsmokebbq,

Thanks for the offer. The car has now been painted it's to late to change.

37 Dodge Rod

16. Mudgy

Mudgy

Hi Sam,
    I am making my surrounds from 1/2" copper pipe, silver soldering in brass stand offs from a furniture manufacturer.
    Once all made, will be chromed, for 1/4 the price of a set I saw on the ' bay. Cheers Mudgy