Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lifting body of frame? (chevy 1951)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MentalClinic, Oct 22, 2011.

1. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

I plan to lift the body off the frame on my Chevrolet Fleetline 1951. Lifting will not be any problems. But WHAT (pedals, wires, linkage etc.) needs to be removed to be able to lift the body? Is there a checklist or something around here? This is my first time so help would be great from all of you that have done it before.

2. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

3. I'd like to know the same thing..Someone will chime in soon.Be patient

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything that gets in the way or hangs things up.

That includes the steering gear, brake pedals and all wiring and linkage.

5. artandmaureen

artandmaureen

make sure all the wiring the pedals just about anthing that you can see from the inside that is hooked to the under needs to be off.

6. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Motor and tranny can be left in the frame right, or must it come out before body? Okey, so nothing special to think about? A bolt thats hard to see/find or anything like that?
    I have lifted many VW beetle bodys off the pans, always something that gets forgotten. :) Thanks for help!

7. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

As they have said.
    If you have the ability to work on your car, you have the ability to identify the items that need removed or or loosened to facilitate the lifting of the body from the frame.
    Do not forget the brake and fuel lines, linkage,hood release cables emergency brake cables. In other words, any item that is attached to the body and to any point on the frame or wheels.

Not a big job, but takes time. The longer time you take to loosen and remove, the less you are likely to tear up.
    Remember, when you have taken all loose, look it over a couple or three times to be sure.

I have done a couple and If I can do it, anyone can.

Attached Files:

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They can be left in if you want. Part of that depends on if you need to roll the chassis out the front or out the back. Out the front you just need to clear the rear tires, If you took it out the back you would have to clear the engine to roll the chassis under the body.

Along with everything JimC mentioned don't forget the temp gauge tube and the oil pressure line. I've seen more of those torn up than anything else.

9. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Thanks for the answers, guys! Oilpressure and temp lines, good one, almost forgot! Thats why I made this post! :)

BTW! Anyone know of a good thread or website, where they doing a "frame off" resto on a 1949-54 Chevy? Need some inspiration, I have searched but not found any good threads. Let me know...

10. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Doing a frame off on your car is much the same for any.
    Damaged, rusted or missing items need repaired/replaced.
    Most of the floor pans will be available from suppliers such a Mill Supply.
    Some of the build threads posted here will give you an idea of what can be done.
    Whether you use ready made parts will depend on your skills and tools available to you.
    There are some here so skilled, they make their own panels, bead rolled and all.
    There are many threads on 49 to 52 chevys which are applicable to yours.
    Spend a little time reading through the archives and you will get many usable ideas.

Best wishes.